FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tarantino

Ms.Pseudo
I was looking for Reservoir Dog again, and wanted to ask what do you think about him and his movies? Is he a genious or mediocre director? Or is he even bad? What is his best work and what he maybe shouldn't have done at the first place?

And does anyone know, is there some new Tarantino movies coming soon?

I think Tarantino is a genious, but not very originel. He just knows how to make good mix about old elements, and make them look like unique and new. He is one of my favourite directors, and I'm glad that he has his own style.
deroga
Tarantinos style is build up from his vast knowledge of films. His fixation of Foreign Cinema, Asia, Art House and stuff like that have influenced his films with a unique touch.

I personally like his style. He's not necessarily a qenious, but great director (a true auteur). He is often accused of plagiarism, but I don't mind. If someone comes up with something great and reusable, it should be used even in art.

His next project is Grind House. A split horror (zombie/slasher) film with Robert Rodriques. I think it got postboned, and should be out April 2007.
dexterius
I think he is a great director. His first films were great, for example PULP FICTION. But later ... films are little bit too much for me. Kill Bill and Sin city were too bloody Confused But anyway he is very good director, and like you said he isnt very original Smile at least last few film were only mix of already used ideas.
Ljsk
Very good director. Pulp fiction is one of my favourite movies.
mrblah
I just wish he would crank more movies out faster. I hope he still makes the Inglorius Bastard movie.
Ms.Pseudo
Deroga said what I meant. You took words out of my mouth Very Happy

mrblah wrote:
I just wish he would crank more movies out faster. I hope he still makes the Inglorius Bastard movie.

That might be bad thing. Some directors can produce lots of material in short time, but then quality might suffer. Maybe he needs just more time to plan and compose, and that is the secret of his success.

But as a fan I say, you are absolutely right, we want more films, more faster and more unique and vivid stories! And we want it now Smile.
canadol
I have an up and down relationship with Tarrintino. Maybe a new versus old Tarrintino is a better description.

His first films, Pulp fiction, Resevoir Dogs I liked very much and I have them in my collection (not too many films are worth my collection). The latest films I have not taking a liking too very much. Kill Bill I liked and tolerated but did not think was great. After that he has attached his name to films, like guest directing, co writing or simply just coming up with the idea and letting some else run with it. I do not like that approach at all, using his name to promote the film.

Most recently Hostel was an absolute brutal film. It could have been a very good film, a good idea that was way over the top.

He has great ideas, I love they way his early films used great music to enhance the scenes but I think he has let his name make some bad films. I hope he comes up with something worth while very soon or he may loose my views for good.
mrblah
canadol wrote:
I have an up and down relationship with Tarrintino. Maybe a new versus old Tarrintino is a better description.

Most recently Hostel was an absolute brutal film. It could have been a very good film, a good idea that was way over the top.

He has great ideas, I love they way his early films used great music to enhance the scenes but I think he has let his name make some bad films. I hope he comes up with something worth while very soon or he may loose my views for good.

I'll have to check out Hostel. I didn't know he was that involved with the project. I thought he was just a producer. Does a producer have that much involvement on how the film turns out?
canadol
mrblah wrote:

I'll have to check out Hostel. I didn't know he was that involved with the project. I thought he was just a producer. Does a producer have that much involvement on how the film turns out?

He was involved but Eli Roth wrote and directed it. I beleive he just found the idea (which was a movie from the Czech Rep.) He put his name all over the promotion thought so if he was involved I put another "x" by his name in my book.
shinnoyami
Tarantino also seems to get some inspiration from 1960 movies, especially from the director Godard. Watch one of his movies and you will see how similar it is to some of tarantino's movies (not story line wise, just the style).
anyways, i like his movies.. reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, kill bill, four rooms.. they are all very good!
HDirtwater
I for one hope that he doesn't "crank out" more movies than he wants to. If you look at Stanely Kubrick, one of the best directors ever, he did not produce many films, but each and every one of them is great.
canadol
HDirtwater wrote:
I for one hope that he doesn't "crank out" more movies than he wants to. If you look at Stanely Kubrick, one of the best directors ever, he did not produce many films, but each and every one of them is great.

absolutely, Kubrick is one of my fav's!
idrather_not
No, i don't know if there is a new "Terentino" Movie coming out, but I have to say that I'm also a fan of his work, and it probably started when I found out he directed the 2 episode CSI, "Grave Danger". I absolutly loved that show, and I think Terentino is a genious for creating it.
djsamsung
Tarantino for me is an interesting dude and a great director but he's also sick! sometimes too gory but that's cool for some ppl Wink