FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need Help with a Symbol

hofer

This image is symbol of a profession, do you know wich one?
solarwind
War! I'm guessing it's a soldier.
hofer
In fact it΄s Minerva (Roman name).
Saryon
Well this picture indeed is Minerva, and she was the godess of war and wisdom (weird combination).
Karl
Saryon wrote:
Well this picture indeed is Minerva, and she was the godess of war and wisdom (weird combination).

My guess would be Pallas Athena the greek version. But actually it is not that weird because in most societies you have somekind of protective force especially in that timeage.

So "war" could mean "when we have to" and not just "if we need something from others and they don't want to give"
Dean_The_Great
Also, a goddess of WAR better be WISE or you could be going to war for the wrong reasons. Some war is justified, and it takes wisdom to see when that is the case.
Vrythramax
Dean_The_Great wrote:
Also, a goddess of WAR better be WISE or you could be going to war for the wrong reasons. Some war is justified, and it takes wisdom to see when that is the case.

Speaking as person who has been in combat, it's very hard to find the good reasons for any war. It's just damned messy, and there has to be a better way of solving issues.
pulldownthesky
Saryon wrote:

I don't think it's a weird combination at all. Warfare takes planning and foresight. (hence why the poorly-planned Iraq War isn't going so well)

Traditionally, there has been a kind of Gnosis or Zen associated with warfare and tatctics. Sun Tzu demonstrates this in his classic, The Art of War.
wsco
the godess of war
hofodomo01
pulldownthesky wrote:
hence why the poorly-planned Iraq War isn't going so well

lol dont blame poor george and da publican crew. actually, yes, blame him.
Nameless
pulldownthesky wrote:
Saryon wrote:

I don't think it's a weird combination at all. Warfare takes planning and foresight. (hence why the poorly-planned Iraq War isn't going so well)

Traditionally, there has been a kind of Gnosis or Zen associated with warfare and tatctics. Sun Tzu demonstrates this in his classic, The Art of War.

Planning a war isn't really wisdom. A wise thing to do would be avert a war before it took place. Planning or military tactics would seem to be more about intelligience than wisdom.
pulldownthesky
Quote:

Planning a war isn't really wisdom. A wise thing to do would be avert a war before it took place. Planning or military tactics would seem to be more about intelligience than wisdom.

Perhaps, but I can't help wondering if that statement is somewhat biased. Morality is not black and white. War can be a means of creation as well as destruction. Good can come from violence just as evil can come from mercy. The lines between good and evil do tend to blur a bit.
pulldownthesky
hofodomo01 wrote:
pulldownthesky wrote:
hence why the poorly-planned Iraq War isn't going so well

lol dont blame poor george and da publican crew. actually, yes, blame him.

I do blame him. He's a bumbling idiot and that war should have never started.
Liu
If you look closely, there are serpents on the crest of the person. Athena wore a plate that had serpents on it. When warriors looked into them, they would turn to stone. This further gives it away, that this figure is Athena.