FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

home server and linux forum

charredii
does anyone know where i can find a forum dedicated to home servers and linux?

I've been having a hard time finding a mangable distro for a home server that's easy to configure.

when i say easy, i mean updates better than windows, and pretty GUI's

thoughts?
benjicook
Try debian, great updates, easy gui's, and overall stable.
charredii
does it have a program to sort of manage the whole box from one application ?? There are a lot of distro's based off Debian, would you recomend any of those??

I guess that's what I'm really looking for...something that combines all the features of LAMP in one place, w/o losing capabilites or versitality

the more i listen to my self, the more i feel like i'm dreaming...

maybe it could be remotely administered as well from this one program...

got ideas??
Nyizsa
I also say Debian is great. If you mean management, there is Synaptic. Just select a program, mark it to install, and Synaptic will do the rest, even fulfilling dependencies.
It comes with Apache, PHP and SQL preinstalled. (I think PostgreSQL, but installing MySQL is easy.) I have never administered it remotely, since I have this one box only, but it is possible, I'm sure.
Other distros may be also good, but I have experiences only with Debian - GOOD experiences.
nizish
Install Webmin www.webmin.com. No need for GUI App for remote administration, just use browser from any OS.

Also have a look at http://webadminmodules.sourceforge.net/ for other functionalities.

For the start www.sitepoint.com/article/webmin-linux-administration-1
TheGeek
For the server i have running i use mandrake simply because it was easy to install and has a nice getapp like function that helps on getting programs and installing them. For my file server i have a P4 running mandrake linux and using freevo to record shows and using samba to access the hard drive as a network drive from other computers on the network.

This works well for me because i have freevo setup to record all my shows and i can access the saved shows right from my desktop 2 floors away in the house just like i would access them if they were on my own computer. Nice thing about it though is that it can run for weeks without needing any sort of human intervention so it is more or less self sustaining.
novisdesign
Has anybody tried using Mac OS X server?
giorockstarr
werd up to that