FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about the Philippines

Starflier
I'm planning on taking a trip to the Philippines next April to visit a friend of mine. I've been keeping an eye on the news, and from what I can tell, it's not an extremely friendly place to be at the moment. But I also know that the media tends to focus on the negative and make it sound worse than it really is. So I'm wondering, if there's anyone here who lives in the Philippines, or has been there recently, I'd like to know how bad it really is. Or if I just need to excercise some general common sense, same as everywhere.
cybernie
i am from the philippines... philippines has never been as chaotic as what u see on the news today. there could be some incident thats making the philippine image worse but those were just minor and normal things happening to a country. insurgency had been addressed to, political problems are being ironed-out.

you can come to our country anytime and see what we have for the rest of the world. the government is taking initiatives in improving our tourism. if you need some more info, please let me know...
marcmgeronimo
you are right... the media tends to put too much negative things about our country, but the truth is it is quite a relatively quiet place to visit, and I'm sure that you'll be safe since you have someone here who could take you around... there are lots of good places to go here especially in the metro... but the best place to visit are those that can be found in the provinces... especially the beaches... you should never miss going to Boracay or your trip would not be complete...

good luck to your trip and hopefully you'll have a great vacation in our country... Very Happy
cybernie
wow! it's to know i have a fellow pilipino here... very well said buddy... most of the beautiful beaches in the philippines are in the provinces, even most of the historical areas... here in eastern samar, my province, we have good surfing spots, diving spots, mountaineering camps, etc... you can even see here the place where Magellan officiated the first Catholic Mass... the American naval base and airport during world war II, historical and old churches, and others...

don't hesitate to come over... philippines is not a "horrible" place after all.
johnnycake
I used to live in the farmlands there... it's not the environment but the poeple that'll make you wanna stay Very Happy
cybernie
Filipinos are extra-ordinary hospitable... u can never find a race as hospitable as the Filipinos... close family ties is one of the traits of filipinos that i love most
Starflier
Well thanks for the imput everyone, you've really put my mind at ease.

Always nice to talk to the locals before you go galavanting off somewhere...
CameraKitten
Hey you, take your girlfriend with you as a carry-on and use her for a bullet-proof vest. I'm sure she'll take a bullet for you, sweetie. ^.~ Lol. I hope you know who this is. XD
jayandsilo
boyfriend and girlfriend posting on the same forum??
frozenhead
Starflier wrote:
So I'm wondering, if there's anyone here who lives in the Philippines, or has been there recently, I'd like to know how bad it really is. Or if I just need to excercise some general common sense, same as everywhere.

Well, I'm from here and I think you've already answered some of your questions. Just to say how bad? No, it's not.

Quote:
I also know that the media tends to focus on the negative and make it sound worse than it really is

Yeah, the media do a lot of that. (for Ratings) Wink

All I can say is we do really have a political crisis here, not that worst though. Politicians battling their way on what they want and their lust for power but behind all, our country is a nice and beautiful place for vacation. Just like the others posted, we have a lot of nice beaches here.
marcmgeronimo
Just to give you an idea, the national sport and past time here are a) watching telenovelas at prime time and b) malling. lol.

There are also a lot of great places up in the north. You'll see spanish heritage places in Vigan, the white beach of Pagudpod, surf in La Union beaches and of course visit Baguio and Sagada.
CameraKitten
Quote:
boyfriend and girlfriend posting on the same forum??

Lol, yeah, we're both here. I am trying to start a web-based photography business, and My dear Beloved told me about Frihost, and here I am. Very Happy But, I am looking forward to the trip myself, but I've heard many nasty tales of the country, including bird flu and the massacre of Christians by the muslim community...SO I'm a little scared. I've never been out of my province much, let alone the Western Hemisphere......