FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Email - which do you think is most secure?

secret_soul
Well. I am asking this because I have been hacked for the second time in a couple of months along with my two best friends. We've also had our LJs hacked and msns. So, I need a really secure email site that's really simple and easy to use that won't cost me money or whatever. Any ideas?

I love the format of gmail but that's where I'm getting hacked into. Anything like that but more secure would be great...

So, what do you all use?
rightclickscott
I use Gmail too, but because of how great the format is. I could seriously care less about how much spam I get, and believe me, I get alot of spam, more spam than the usual person. If I left my computer unattended for a day, my spam folder would have over 100 spams. Hell, someone is sending me spam right now. I rarely ever get hacked, though. Probably because I have nothing interesting in my email. A discussion with Decoy about 8 Easy Bits and some Rive Road Forum reply notices is all. People who hack into accounts and send spam, god I hate them. It's a good thing I use thousands of different email addresses for stuff like registering so that I don't get even more spam.
Whong
Why not try changing you e-mail address, of course it is a whole bunch of work, but it works, atleast for me Laughing

I've noticed that the more I give out my e-mail address the more spam comes, so my advice is not to give the e-mail address out on the internet unless it is really necessary! Wink Idea
alkady
As mentioned earlier, Changing your e-mail. I couldnt have said any better, But perhaps you should also take that opportunity to filter out your friends list on your msn. You never know if someone within your list could be a double faced traitor who is selling you out to someone. C'mon alot of my friends give me emails of people I am not friends with, But to help me move on my personal agenda.

Also, Keep that original email for your registrations, Its crucial that you keep two emails, One for friends and the other for business, This in turn limits your spam problem because if you ever recieve spam from your second email, One of your friend is behind it guaranteed.

As much said, Stick with a service that is known, Or use your Frihost Account Email. It makes it look more professional.

eg. you@youraccount.frih.net
James007
You might want to ask yourself how you are getting hacked.
I mean, the fact people keep finding your passwords indicates you have a keylogger installed on your system, or some trojan program / remote control program. Don't put the blame on the e-mail system. It might be your computer which is infected.

You might want to do a online virus scan. Also try Ewido anti-malware.

James007
alkady
^Or it can be someone you know or someone that may know you without you knowing them that really understand the way you think, For example alot of people use their birthday or their loved ones birthday as their Bank PIN number. Alot of people use easy to remember passwords that have personal significance to them that can easily be guessed.

If you really want security, Microsoft sells these fingerprint readers, Biometrics, Whatever you call em. It's not that expensive and is the same price as a console game. You can use hundreds of numbers in all sorts of sequences for all I care, When you log in just put your finger on the device and if it's recognized, You have access granted. Only those who have access to your biometric device can "Hack it" so the chance of being hacked again is slim.
ignition
What James007 said. Right, I'm sure one of your friends out there is really hacking gmail Rolling Eyes

They must be getting your password somehow, or your password is easy to guess. Until you're sure what the problem is, try changing your password on a "secure" computer (not your own) and only logging in from there. Then run all the typical spyware stuff, AV, rootkit revealers, etc. on your own comp.
myrevolt
I prefer making my own complex passwords, however if you don't have the patience for creating your own encryption algorithm...then try something like this: password generator. The more complex, the harder to brute-force or guess; obviously also harder for you to remember. Keep in mind social hacking is also quite common, so using the name of your kitten, gf, etc. or writing your password on a stickynote may be the cause.

I'm not sure of their current standing, but I was a few years ago that Hush mail was good. and as James007 said, run some antivirus/trojan/spyware removers. I doubt it's so easy to "hack" gmail regardless Wink
speedlikecy
i think is
yahoo mail
hotmail
gmail

this three i often use
faker
i still use gmail though i have never been hacked but i seriously think that if a person is determine to hack in they will find a way
Devang
I use Gmail now. I was hacked once and that was of Yahoo! I don't understand how could someone hack it as the password was totally un-guessable. Then after I have been using Gmail and it sounds perfect. In fact, I don't even get much SPAM.. let's say per day only 5 SPAMS! and I wonder that from where they come!
secret_soul
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Thing is -- my two best friends got hacked too and it's happened before. It even happened in the same order.

No-one could possibly have known my password because afterwards I changed it and told my best friend my old one and even she would never have guessed... it was the dumbest password ever.

I haven't got my email back. It was deleted. I had to get a new one Sad but I will be really careful about this one. My password is the most ridiculous thing ever and I scanned my computer for viruses before setting up.

^_^
falconfx
I suggest you to have only your provider's email and create some aliases for it.

I've been using this method for two years and it works very well: I receive almost no spam (just 1-2 messages/day) and I can surely use my email box.

Anyway, you should also use some known tricks, such as separating business and daily-use emails, etc...

And if your account is hacked again, you will know whom to blame.
rightclickscott
Devang wrote:
I use Gmail now. I was hacked once and that was of Yahoo! I don't understand how could someone hack it as the password was totally un-guessable. Then after I have been using Gmail and it sounds perfect. In fact, I don't even get much SPAM.. let's say per day only 5 SPAMS! and I wonder that from where they come!

Heh, you just gave me an idea. I'm gonna not clear out my spam box tommorrow, and at the end of the day, I'll take a screenshot of hof my spam folder tommorrow.
Summer
im using windows live mail and gmail now . windows live mail is not good for reading attachment . I just cant read them , so i just forward the attachment email to my gmail to read it . its annoying .
Tiger
There's some good advice here. Personally, I have a few email addresses. I have one that is only known to family and friends, one for business, and one for registrations etc.

I also use GMail for all my public stuff, newsletters etc. and so far I haven't really been bothered. I also use "The Bat!" email software which is just the best in my opinion, especially the filters. Thunderbird would be a good free alternative.

Finally, I also do things most people forget to do, or sadly were never taught to do - I don't put multiple recipients in the To or CC fields, I put them all in the BCC field, which means it's harder for people to harrass my recipients (family, friends, etc.).

There are actually a lot of steps you can take to stop spam and account theft, although I sometimes forget them myself, especially when in a hurry, which has become normal these days.

It's also a good idea to "rotate" your passwords every month.

Good luck for the future!
anthonygerbils
ok i can tell u up front hotmail is very hackable ok as i have experience but they have reciently change it so i dont know if it is as hackable as before but gmail and msn are hard and have security buit in so it must be your friend or be a keylogger as was said before
Assiez
keep gmail but use an alphanumeric password instead. A password like hdt283n*3 would be very hard to crack. Also I think someone else mentioned keyloggers and trogians. Do a virus scan (you do have anti-virus software right?), configure your firewall (you do have a firewall right?) and finally check your system for physical keyloggers, usual place is where the keyboard connect into the system, or inside the keyboard itself if the person's real tricky....
Guelila
I am currently using Inbox.com

They have many other services than email.
They also are a ISP and so I find them pretty secure I think.
bdoneck
I just use the email my ISP provides and try not to give it away openly, it's an invitation for hackers to get me
Animal
You could try using an email client instead of webmail. For example, Portable Thunderbird will work with your Gmail account and it runs directly from a USB Flash Drive. This will prevent you from having to enter your password (it is stored for you) and opening yourself to potential problems from keyloggers. It also means that all your emails are stored on your USB Flash Drive, so even if someone gets into your webmail and deletes everything, you'll still have a copy of it.

If you're really interested in security, try Mobility Email. This is a project that I helped develop and it works like Portable Thunderbird in that it runs directly from a USB Flash Drive. It also includes OpenPGP email signing and encryption - this means that you can digitally sign your emails. This will prove that it was you that sent the email and not someone who hacked your account - if all your friends use the same system, you can even encrypt emails to each other, making it super-secure. Mobility Email also has built in support for webmail accounts including Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL, Lycos and more.

However, first thing's first - run a virus scan on your computer as James007 suggested. Next, change your password - it should be at least 8 characters and include uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols to be most secure. If you do this and still get hacked, something is very very very wrong.
ignition
Animal wrote:
You could try using an email client instead of webmail. For example, Portable Thunderbird will work with your Gmail account and it runs directly from a USB Flash Drive. This will prevent you from having to enter your password (it is stored for you) and opening yourself to potential problems from keyloggers.

Wow...pretty sure most browsers can store passwords also. =/ Using pop3 is not a bad idea though.

The only problem is that this guy actually thinks someone is "hacking" his gmail account.
cybernie
issue on spams and email hacking is a common thing... free mails on gmail, hotmail and yahoo are great but at the moment on the said mail servers, i prefer to use gmail... it seems to me that yahoo has been exploited too mch... i have been lots of spams on my yahoo account... i stopped using my hotmail when it was hacked - i read from an article on the internet before (2000) that hotmail was just on the test server making it crash most of the time... the problem was just resolved when they had a mergin with MSN...

on email security, privacy and etc, better use your ISP mails and as what the other memers have said, don't give your email out just to anybody else...
FriBogdan
use yahoo. If u have a decent password and u don;t pick your real birthday on every site u are in u can stay for years and don't care. Nobody can break in your mail. Belive me. If u don't put your real info, or some info u've pute on other site's, it is no problem.
adiutrix
Gmail 120%, best email service I have come across and I have had a lot of them.
screamingdecay
I use gmail, I could care less if anyone reads my email. Like I care if they read when my dads going pick me up or me talking to my gf. I think it would be retarted to send any personal information such as CC numbers and you SS over email or aim.
rightclickscott
FriBogdan wrote:
use yahoo. If u have a decent password and u don;t pick your real birthday on every site u are in u can stay for years and don't care. Nobody can break in your mail. Belive me. If u don't put your real info, or some info u've pute on other site's, it is no problem.

Dude, I bet my hacker friend can get into your yahoo mail in 5 seconds. All he needs to do is find your password, and once he gets it, he's in. He uses a Brute Forcer program designed specifically for find passwords. Don't ask me how it works, ask him. Don't worry, I can get him to find you. Simply by posting on Frihost, he's already got your IP Address.
tribe
No doubt GMAIL... I've had trouble with yahoo and aol and msn and hotmail and a few others, GMAIL has been the most secure, cleans up my spam and deletes it without having me touching it, and is like a secondary program running in your browser.
cybernie
i agree with tribe on that thing! gmail is good when it comes to handling spams. but my ISP is better since no spams get into it... am making my ISP mail sa my official e-mail...
Alienz
I had Gmail, Yahoo mail and Hotmail. I think Gmail wins the other two Cool
Transponder
All of them are good! you have to make a good password! not a easy password that anyone can hack! I never got hacked , cause im using a long password!. I recommed Gmail + Yahoo Mail! Smile
thiamshui
I am using Gmail too.. I do not think it is that easy to get hacked.. Make sure your password is hard to guess and made up of both numeric and alphabets.. If possible, have symbols too.. Take care if you are logging in on other computers which do not belong to u, there may be keyloggers installed, especially in public places such as cybercafes, etc..