FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can Immigration be controlled?

diverden
There are dozens of politicians with plans to "fix" immigration. It would appear that the answer is simple. Immigrants come here for a better life and no one blames them for that. That leads to two choices, either remove the opportunity of a better life here or give them a better life in Mexico. We have no control of Mexico, even though their president wants to "help" us with our immigration problem. I guess it would mean taking some money from the Mexican "Haves" and creating better jobs, education, health care, etc for better conditions to exist in Mexico. In the US, we have laws about hiring illegal immigrants, but they are not enforced. If you enforce the laws and fine the employers, then the job market for illegal laborers will dry up as it will not be profitable to hire low wage illegals. It seems to be obvious that the government knows who a lot of the employers are because they submit large numbers of bogus SSN's and those employers are notified multiple times (Not fined, just notified). I think the next time I am stopped for a speeding ticket, I will ask them to notify me instead of fining me, since I deserve the same rights as any law breaking employer.
crdowner
Sounds like a plan to me!

Mexico has little interest in helping the US. Mexico benefits considerably when its citizens cross into the US. Most of these illegal aliens find jobs and then send money to family back in Mexico. Mexico ends up not needing to support the family in Mexico since that family is being supported by aliens in the US. Mexico also does not have to support the aliens since they are no longer in the country. It is a win-win for Mexico.

I really do not understand why so many employers hire illegal aliens.
alkady
Actually you may have heard of the plan to build a giant wall around the Mexican Border, That probably not going to work since desperate times means desperate measures. And these illegals will probably climb over the huge fence. Cuts holes ect. Its not going to be easy to stem immigration, Not yet in my knowlegde. If the states was the size of a house, I bet even the President would be able to stem immigration.

Until then, The real problems lie within the ecomony of Mexico and employers in the states wanting cheap labor. Most people rather have US illegal jobs for obvious reasons, Guess its paid more, Better oppourtunities and so on.

Oh and yes the cops are enforcing these employement laws, Wal Mart got busted hiring a bunch of illegals and got fined alot a while ago. Typically Wal Mart.
crdowner
I did hear about the fines imposed against Wal-Mart but we all know there are MANY more instances of illegals working in the US. I suspect INS could catch lots of employers in my area by simply visiting homes under construction. Prosecution of the US employers (criminals) and/or the illegal workers must get more aggressive to slow the crossing of Mexicans into the US.

I also agree that a better economy in Mexico would help. What can the US do to help the Mexican economy? We have already send tons of jobs to Mexico to get cheaper labor. I also agree that a wall/fence will not stop it. It may help though.
alja
I just can say that it is easier to see just one side and judge and declare but there is always two sides. Why are so many illegals working in USA, firstable because there are not enough people to do the kind of jobs that immigrants do. I think that immigration is a problem that cannot be taken such in a simplistic way, and who is not really an immigrant in USA maybe the indians which are each time less. I don't understand why people complain so much about this when the reality is that without immigrants, who is going to clean your houses, who is going to pick your oranges and work in your factories for such a low wage. I think that more than complain about them there should be a way to incorporate this work force so they wont be abuse.
crdowner
I understand what you are saying and I agree that the problem is far reaching. By enforcing our laws, employers will have to pay more to get work done. This will cause the price of some products to go up but that should not stop us from enforcing immigration laws.

Not enforcing these laws is causing costs to rise too. Afterall, US tax dollars pay for healthcare for illegals since they do not have insurance.

There are legal methods for entering and working in the US. I have no problem with giving some people work visas. These people should be paying taxes on their wages like the rest of us.

BTW, I do not think that we should give amnesty to illegal aliens who have been in the US for years. The fact is they broke the law when they entered the country and they continue to break the law every day they remain in the US. That would be rewarding criminals. I understand that it sounds simplistic but some things in life are simple.
S3nd K3ys
diverden wrote:
Can Immigration be controlled?

Absolutely. But because the polititions are trying to get every vote they can they are trying not to alienate these potential voters.

Just ask one of the Dem candidates in an election today here in San Diego; she repeately claims that you don't need to be registered to vote, or be 'legal' to work on her campaign team.
ocalhoun
crdowner wrote:
I did hear about the fines imposed against Wal-Mart but we all know there are MANY more instances of illegals working in the US. I suspect INS could catch lots of employers in my area by simply visiting homes under construction.

In Tampa recently construction was halted on two major buildings because of a rumor that spread. Most of the workers fled because they thought the law was coming.
alja
crdowner wrote:
Not enforcing these laws is causing costs to rise too. Afterall, US tax dollars pay for healthcare for illegals since they do not have insurance.

Just think about where are going those millions of dollars that the companies take for the social security from those illegals which never do incometax but pay taxes each time they buy anything. And about the health most of them are just scare of going to a hospital so they use only the charity organizations that implement health services for the immigrants.