FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can't upload pages via FTP

dotnet
I want simple thing - be able to upload new html-pages on my site http://dotnet.org.ru/ (hosted by FriHost, of course) via FTP. When I opened account on FriHost I received info-letter with, among other things, the following instructions:

Quote:
FTP accounts: unlimited
Anonymous FTP: OFF
FTP Server: ftp.dotnet.frih.net
Login: .....
Password: .....

Is this FTP what I need? If there is - why ftp.dotnet.frih.net even not pinging?

Quote:
C:\>ping ftp.dotnet.frih.net
ftp.dotnet.frih.net not found. Check the name(and so on)....

C:\>

Question Question
Animal
You need to use ftp client software to upload your website. See this thread for some suggestions.
dotnet
Before we can establish connection with any point in I-net address of this point must be translated from form like 'www.AAA.com' to "native" form like 10.20.30.40. For example, when we type 'www.frihost.com' in browser to connect with forum we, actually, connect with point 216.32.68.254. FTP that I need (at least I think I need exactly this FTP) - ftp.dotnet.frih.net - doesn't have complement form x.x.x.x. So, it is obvious, none of the ftp clients, even best of the best, can establish connection with ftp.dotnet.frih.net.
Bondings
dotnet, the ip-address of server 2 is 216.32.85.170 . This website is on a different server/ip.

Pinging should be disabled on both machines, so normally that is certainly not working.

Try "ftp 216.32.85.170" or "ftp frih.net".
Animal
dotnet wrote:
Before we can establish connection with any point in I-net address of this point must be translated from form like 'www.AAA.com' to "native" form like 10.20.30.40. For example, when we type 'www.frihost.com' in browser to connect with forum we, actually, connect with point 216.32.68.254. FTP that I need (at least I think I need exactly this FTP) - ftp.dotnet.frih.net - doesn't have complement form x.x.x.x. So, it is obvious, none of the ftp clients, even best of the best, can establish connection with ftp.dotnet.frih.net.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Have you actually tried connecting with an FTP client, or have you just pinged the server?

Is your account brand-new (ie. created today)? If so, the domain needs time to resolve, although usually no more than a few hours.

ftp.dotnet.frih.net should work, but if not, ftp.frih.net will also work using your web-hosting name and password.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Bondings! Wink
dotnet
Animal wrote:
ftp.dotnet.frih.net should work,

No, it doesn't. Sad

Animal wrote:
but if not, ftp.frih.net will also work using your web-hosting name and password.

Yes, you are right! This approach work just fine, thanks a lot! Razz
Animal
dotnet wrote:
Animal wrote:
but if not, ftp.frih.net will also work using your web-hosting name and password.

Yes, you are right! This approach work just fine, thanks a lot! Razz

No Problem! Very Happy

Anyway, I'll -close- this thread since your issue has been solved. Please PM any mod if you want the thread re-opened.