FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Video Presentation of $100 Laptop

alkady
We've all probably heard of the $100 Laptop, Well I found this video presentation of the $100 laptop and I hope you enjoy it. It doesnt look like the original pics I've seen but its probably not the final product.

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/14838/First_Video_Presentation_of_the_100_Laptop
James007
Moved to hardware
Zyrobot
Yeupp ! Very cheap it but i cant wacth all video buffer time is long Confused I hope also comes my country it.
psycosquirrel
It is orange, fugly, and looks as though it was designed by drunks. The presenters from Mozilla came extremely unprepared, with the crappy thing not having any software loaded or any answers to basic questions (example: what Linux version will it run).

I think it will suck and be a complete flop at this point. But it is a start.
Donutey
psycosquirrel wrote:
It is orange, fugly, and looks as though it was designed by drunks. The presenters from Mozilla came extremely unprepared, with the crappy thing not having any software loaded or any answers to basic questions (example: what Linux version will it run).

I think it will suck and be a complete flop at this point. But it is a start.

It's not supposed to be a commercial success, (ie. marketed to individuals). The design (so I've read) is made to look like a kid's toy so that it will be less attractive for an adult to steal. (I don't exactly understand the reasoning, but it sort of makes sense)
izcool
I'm starting to have mixed feelings about this. I've seen the pictures for the first proposed prototype, where it had a crank to power the thing. I do wonder when it will be sold because I'll sure go ahead and buy one when they do come available where I am.

I have mixed feelings about the thought of it being stolen and resold for a certain amount of cash. People steal anything, CD's, laptops, iPods, anything that looks valuable (they'll steal this anyways, I speak this way because I live near Chicago and see it all the time at the flea markets) but maybe it will backfire since it's the "$100 laptop". I might only go into it because it has Fedora Core (Linux) on it, something I've not really encountered with much before.

I'm sure there will eventually be a patch to get Windows on that thing.

- Mike.
psycosquirrel
Donutey wrote:
It's not supposed to be a commercial success, (ie. marketed to individuals). The design (so I've read) is made to look like a kid's toy so that it will be less attractive for an adult to steal. (I don't exactly understand the reasoning, but it sort of makes sense)

Uh, not even kids will like that kind of look... The thing is just gross. And anti-theft is a stupid excuse for bad design. If I was given one, I would just paint it or make a new case...
Xeniczone
You get what you pay for.
alkady
psycosquirrel wrote:
Donutey wrote:

Uh, not even kids will like that kind of look... The thing is just gross. And anti-theft is a stupid excuse for bad design. If I was given one, I would just paint it or make a new case...

I'd paint it sparkly silver or chrome lol.
ezekiel_rage
psycosquirrel wrote:
Donutey wrote:

It may be the ugliest piece of cr*p you've seen, but then again its not for you.

Its intended to bridge the gap between KIDS from THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES and modern technology. To ensure that even the poorest, will be exposed to current technology, and hopefully help shape their future.

It will not be marketed anyway. last I heard they will only sell to governments of selected countries. and if it hasn't changed yet, the minimum order is 1 million units.

So oviuosly its not intended for those that already is exposed to computers, let alone those who are already adept at using one. Rather, it the other way around.

So even if its the ugliest thing anyone in this forum have seen, it will still inspire awe to those the $100 laptop is REALLY intended for. POOR KIDS, who i bet have not even seen a computer before, let alone a laptop.

Please dont flame me for this, I'm only stating my opinion.

Just my two cents....
Xeniczone
This laptop is intended for every kid to have a laptop. I don't know but if I had kids and I needed to buy them a laptop for school HELL I'm not buying a 1000 dollar laptop for them just to break. I would go with the 100 dollar laptop. So if it breaks no big deal I will just get them a new one.
izcool
You know, I've just thought of this.

This looks and seems almost identical to Apple's eMate 300, a project that they started and got very little response from. That's the only model known that was ever available to the market. It was intended to be use for schools for the students.

More details can be found at this entry in Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMate_300

- Mike.
brevity
I like the idea quite a lot. I know a lot of you people are saying it's ugly, crappy, etc. but understand this:

First of all, the "presentation" (which was obviously informal and impromptu at best) was of a prototype. Do you realize how much change can still happen?

Secondly, please understand what the intended market is for this thing. Before you look down your nose, consider how many families and children this will benefit.
alkady
^ IF this thing is actually marketed, I'd feel more sorry for the Makers of those Cheap Toy Laptops that sell for the same price.
psycosquirrel
I did not know that they were not going to be marketed, so I retract my other statements.

I was thinking in terms of here in the USA. Something like this lets me appreciate how good things are for us. If the laptop is sucessful, it might allow 3rd world countries to finally improve their situations.

But that does not mean I think it is well-designed. They can easily make something like this look better and market it in the USA for a bit more so they can sell it for less elsewhere. It is a genius idea, that noone seems to realize. If they can make it look good, and be functional for strictly academic purposes, then I know about 200 people that would love to have one. Schools may endorse them if they can't run games; if you CANNOT be off-task, then that means students will be much more likely to stay on task.