FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which is the most intelligent animal?

Jaime
After the humans, I thinks that is the parrot...
magneto_ms
mate i think, parrots need to wait in line, after apes, dolphins, and god knows what..Very Happy
joxang
lol, i agree. What makes parrots the second most intelligent animal? Unless there's something you're not telling us... Razz

It's obvious that mice are the most intelligent, followed by dolphins.
Game Fortress
I read somewhere that an octopus has the intelligence of a two year old child... I dont know how you would gage such a thing though.
jeffsolodky
Yeah, just because I parrot can speak has nothing to do with its intelligence. All I parrot is doing is just repeating auditory commands for the inticement of a treat of food or seed. It is not doing it cause it knows whatever the hell you have it say. But I can see were you are coming from by thinking they are pretty smart. There was this parrot on animal planet who could walk a tight rope and play basketball on a mini hoop. It was pretty sweet.
bcampos
i like ants
i tolk to them often
they are cool
Christina17
I think dolphins, too.
Or monkeys Laughing
danny3165
Dolphins in my humble opinion.
ashen
I think dolphins and chimpanzees. I often see them act like human.
joxang
bcampos wrote:
i like ants
i tolk to them often
they are cool

I wholeheartedly agree. Ants are the ultimate in intelligent life on this planet, and have bigger brain to body ratios than anything else. They also invented ribena and wrote the bible.
Idoru
In agreement, I gotto do a quote here. Unfortunatelly I don't remeber if
it's from the 'Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy' or 'the Illuminatus' or '
Schrödingers cat'. Anyhow:

'Humans consider them selves the most intellegent creature on the planet,
for they have invented such things as the wheel, and the fire. Dolphins
consider them selves the same, for they havn't invented such things.'

And, as writing it, I'm almost sure it's from 'the Illuminatus'. Read it, if you
havn't already done that, and tell me Embarassed
ocalhoun
Idoru wrote:

And, as writing it, I'm almost sure it's from 'the Illuminatus'. Read it, if you
havn't already done that, and tell me Embarassed

In that wording, it probably was, but there is a nearly identical passage in the hitchiker's guide.
ralphbefree
arguably mammals are the animal that have evolved the more complex brain structures. We can split mammals into two catagories: those that evolved on land and those that evolved in water. As this forum is beginning to hint at is that dolphins might be the more intelligent animal. I can see this because of the media exposure and our love for these gentle creatures. I mean we all know how smart Flipper is right? But what I propose is that dolphins might be compared to chimpanzees on land. There is a higher evolved conciousness that roams the seas. The Orca, or Killer Whale, has evolved a much larger brain especially in the areas that are responsible for congnitive thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orca
http://www.orcalab.org/
paul_indo
I think dogs are pretty smart.

My Rottweiller has taught itself:
How to open doors when she wants to go outside or into another room.
How to open our front gate, which means she must remove the padlock, lift up the latch , slide the latch across and then pull the gate open. (f course this doesn't work if the padlock is locked)
How to turn on the garden tap when she wants a drink of water.

She taught herself all these things just by watching us, as we obviously don't want her opening the front gate.
It is good when she wants to go outside though because we don't have to get up and open the door for her.
f.e.m
dolphins are the most intelligent
then dogs, but it just my own opinion Very Happy.
I read somewhere that elephants and chimps are smart animals too.
xeszline
Well, personally I think Chimp is the second most-intelligent animal after human being.

Why?
From Animal Planet I conclude so, because it's said that Chimp has the intelligence of 5-year-olds!! Not only that, chimp also has habits and a kind of life we, human, do. I know they can't talk/ write/ make blogs/ invent something.. But, they do have love story.. a kind of rivalry.. friendship.. and all of that..
If not in National Geographic, I watched it in Animal Planet, the title of the show was Monkey Business (not the Black-Eyed Peas album). I really saw that even chimpanzees have feelings.. Well, or at least that's what I thought. They could look sad.. look happy.. look jealous.. I think they're smarter than dogs..

Other than chimpanzee.. I think it might be dolphins.. They could respond to stimulation made by their trainer very well. They're smart.. So.. I don't know..

I still choose chimpanzee..
bercha
I think monkey is the second intelligent animal!
Game Fortress
Quote:
There are many many types of monkeys, all with varying displays of intelligence. Apes like Gorillas, Chimpanzees, and Orangutangs are known for being more intelligent than monkeys anyway.
lazaruslupine
Whales and dolphins. Just because an animal can't communicate with humans (yet) in our langauage(i.e. sign language(apes) or mimicry like parrots) does not define intellignece.
BlacKRoSeS
Everybody says dolphins, and i'll go with that, but i think parrots are pretty intelligent too. Some dogs are intellengent, but there are some that really aren't, obviously Razz
HoboPelican
I guess it's all aobut how you measure and define intelligence. But has anyone else heard that pigs have a higher learning capacity than dogs? I seem to remember that from my college psych class.

My very unscientific vote is for cats! They've taught us to feed them, house them, massage them and let them sleep 20 hours a day! The only 'work' we ever expect of them is to catch rats/mice. This like getting paid to play and eat! Ha! What species has got a better deal!
bonestorm74
Aliens. They have to be a close second to man.

j/k
TeenZine
bonestorm74 wrote:

j/k
Lol I dont belive in Aliens ( except n4l) Mabe) there for I dont agree with you on that.
Balthamos
No, it's definitely dolphins, then humans, then mice. Pandimensional life forms don't go first, everyone knows that Very Happy. Dolphins definitely left first.

~Balthamos
Thundr n Lightning
I think dolphins are what research suggests... it's just that we as humans have yet to figure out how to communicate with them in their language. Chimps are a pretty close second... they can do some pretty cool stuff with computer games Laughing
HoboPelican
Thundr n Lightning wrote:
I think dolphins are what research suggests... it's just that we as humans have yet to figure out how to communicate with them in their language. Chimps are a pretty close second... they can do some pretty cool stuff with computer games Laughing

Just for fun, I looked up animal intelligence in Wikipedia. The section was marked with their unverified claims warning, but if someone has a better ref, I'd like to see it. Most of the animals we've talked about are mentioned as being very intelligent, including the parrot and octopus. One thing I was suprised about was that they downplay the intelligence of cetaceans. Anyone know of any good refs for dolphin studies?

Quote:
There are people who have viewed some animals as more intelligent than others: in European cultures, dogs, horses, great apes and (more recently) dolphins and parrots are seen as intelligent in ways that other animals are not. Crows have been attributed with humanlike intelligence by almost every culture that has encountered them. A number of recent survey studies have demonstrated the consistency of these rankings between people in a given culture. A common image is the scala naturae, the ladder of nature on which animals of different species occupy successively higher rungs, with humans typically at the top. Comparative psychologists have sought in vain for ways of providing an objective underpinning for these essentially subjective and anthropocentric judgements. Part of the difficulty is the lack of agreement about what we mean by intelligence even in humans (it obviously makes a big difference whether language is considered as essential for intelligence, for example). But in any case, different animals (including humans) seem to have different kinds of cognitive processes, which are better understood in terms of the ways in which they are cognitively adapted to their different ecological niches, than by positing any kind of hierarchy. One question that can be asked coherently is how far different species are intelligent in the same ways as humans are, i.e. are their cognitive processes similar to ours. Not surprisingly, our closest biological relatives, the great apes, tend to do best on such an assessment. It is less clear that the species traditionally held to be intelligent do unusually well against this standard, though among the birds, corvids and parrots typically are found to outperform other groups, and among smaller mammals, dogs generally show better performance than cats. Despite ambitious claims, evidence of unusually high human-like intelligence among cetaceans is patchy, partly because the cost and difficulty of carrying out research with marine mammals mean that experiments frequently suffer from small sample sizes and inadequate controls and replication. Octopi also exhibit many seemingly higher-level problem-solving skills. Of the parrot family the african grey parrot is understood to be the most intelligent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_intelligence#Relative_intelligence_of_different_animal_species
tidruG
bonestorm74 wrote:

j/k

The one proof we have that aliens are intelligent is that they haven't tried to make contact with us Wink

As for animals, I can't really say anything objectively, but I have come in contact with some amazing clever dogs.
And I think HoboPelican has a point about the cats Razz
And I'll submit to being one of their minions because I want to have a cat as my first pet the moment I get permission to keep a pet Razz
HoboPelican
tidruG wrote:
....And I'll submit to being one of their minions because I want to have a cat as my first pet the moment I get permission to keep a pet Razz

Bwaaahahahaha! Another slave for my feiline masters! Wink

Actually, I was surprised to see that article list Octopi. I had heard that they were very intelligent, but was beginning to think that I just made it up.

Intelligence is a pretty tough thing to pin down. I remember a huskie my folks had and I've never seen so much dumb and so much smart packed into the same animal! Smile She had an outdoor run with a gate that we tied closed (homemade). Squareknots, grannyknots, bows, she could untie anything we tied. Don't know how she did it, but she could untie any knot. That was the smart part.

Eventually, we got a hasp and lock. Stopped her for a day. Then she started digging under the 4 foot wire fence. Yep, I said four foot. Anyone who knows anything about huskies knows that they can jump that without even touching it. And she was a good jumper. I watched her jump a 4 foot igloo wall from a standing start.

Sorry, long post, but I wanted to point out how hard it is to quantify 'intelligence'.
CanadianGeek
It all depends on how you define intelligence really. I've got a couple of pet budgies. They say that budgies can talk and understand words but I haven't heard them talk even though they're around people pretty well twenty-four/seven, so I'm kind of inclined to believe that parrots (since budgies are a member of the parrot family) aren't the most intelligent animals.

Dolphins do seem to be quite intelligent. A lot of the ones you see on tv or hear about seem to have a rather advanced comprehension of human speech. Members of the ape family have also proven to be quite intelligent, being able to communicate with humans through the use of sign language. I guess on that basis, I would have to say that apes in general (not one ape specifically) has a legitamate claim to being called the most intelligent animal.
yenbin
jaime wrote:
sbx_master
I think monkey is intelligent.
Digigame
Christina17 wrote:
I think dolphins, too.
Or monkeys Laughing

MONKEYS STUPID DEFINTELY CATS + SQUIRLLS HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A SQUIREL GET LOST OR RUN OVER NO YOU SEE SKUNKS GETTING RUN OVER AND DOGS AND CATS GETTING LOST
HoboPelican
Digigame wrote:

MONKEYS STUPID DEFINTELY CATS + SQUIRLLS HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A SQUIREL GET LOST OR RUN OVER NO YOU SEE SKUNKS GETTING RUN OVER AND DOGS AND CATS GETTING LOST

Dude, could you possibly turn your caps-lock off? No need to yell here.

Squirrels is an interesting thought. I've seen them go through incredible series of obstacles for food....

However, they get run over all the time and getting lost doesn't mean anything. Humans get lost all the time.
sugarbox
Monkeys
carolinehjkim
in different areas....
usually the smartest one after us is called monkey

and then
there are
dolphins
and
parrots like you mentioned.
raman
Probably chimpanzees.
anthonygerbils
yeah mate the ape is by far the most but the whole monkey kind are really smart ..... some even smarter then the human population with problems Intellectually ... but humans are the master race
SS0305
Dolphins and Dogs are very smart
poet
Spent alot of time just studing the animals there, besides the dolphin which I feel nothing can hold a candle to, Gibbions were at the top of the list there, along with the baboons and actually the walrus has its own intel Great question! Very Happy
Reina
Horses.

My horse is like my best bud.

He has tricks to get out of anything. He is so incredibly naughty.
HoboPelican
Reina wrote:

He has tricks to get out of anything. He is so incredibly naughty.

Now that is a statement designed to make me ask.....What kind of tricks?
Guyon
While dogs are not as high on the list as some mentioned above. I had a Border Collie named Ranger. Border collies are supposed to be the most intelligent of the dog line, and I can believe it. I could teach him a trick a day! Some tricks took two days, on rare occasion some took up to 4. Though but he knew so many it was impressive to watch him go through them all.

Ranger did have one strange trait. He hated Men. Well all men but our immediate family. Loved kids, girls and woman. But any mail over 18 was on his list for some reason. I did get him from a rescue organization when he was a little puppy, so I do not think that had anything to do with his dislike of men. I guess I will never know.
zamolxes
I personally love pigs. they are very intelligent, such a shame that humans treat them as they do... when I was a kid I used to write SF and stuff... I wrote a story about humanity being decimated by pigs Smile well, actually, at the end, there was one human and one pig left on an empty planet. and the pig killed the human... so he was left alone, because he was smarter than the human, and more alone... he demonstrated his skills in destroying life, so he became ruler of the world... sort of like saying that the smartest creature is also the most diabolic, but also the most doomed.
I also know other people who like pigs, like hayao miyasaki (his films are very pig-centric, hehehe), and my friend, andrei Very Happy (yes, I know, andrei is not as famous...)
Guyon
I looked on the internet and strangely, I think jaime is right. a Gray Parrot is the smartest.......

But i would think that a dolphin would be the smartest, then Pigs, then dogs, and then

But then again how do u define intelligence?

By how many tricks they have learned?

By how easily they get out of situations?

By how fast they learn tricks?

If you choose How many tricks they learn, that would lead to another animal compared to if they got intelligence by how fast they learn tricks.........

So, to answer your question, it could be a parrot, a pig, a mouse, a dog and a dolphin..........

Rachel
S3nd K3ys
After humans?

Republicans... Laughing Laughing Laughing
drakordern
Why not rats, they survive everything so they got to be smart.....

Rats for the win!!
ColdFire
According to Discovery Channel, the smartest is the Urangutan! Surprise Surprise Rolling Eyes
Surreal Killa
Well. There was one Parrot that had the intelligence of a 6-year-old child. However, most intelligent speices would be Apes. And after that I am not sure... possibly a sea-creature such as Dolphin, but I am not sure...

On another note, pigs are supposedly very intelligent, more so than dogs at least.
Zug Zug
Dolphins are pretty intelligent, but I think the Chimpanzee has surpassed them. I also think that cats are pretty damn intelligent, mine can open a friggin door. Then again...I could be wrong. I believe that all animals are intelligent in their own way.
andy26
i totaly agree wiv magneto i think thts his name anyway
carlosnino
As I heard, besides humans, dolphins an gorillas are the most inteligent. There was a test to prove gorila's inteligence: a banana was hung from the ceiling that could not be reached; the only solution to get the banana was to put 3 boxes one on top of the other an climb on top. Well, the gorilla passed the test.
andy26
carlosnino wrote:
As I heard, besides humans, dolphins an gorillas are the most inteligent. There was a test to prove gorila's inteligence: a banana was hung from the ceiling that could not be reached; the only solution to get the banana was to put 3 boxes one on top of the other an climb on top. Well, the gorilla passed the test.

cool
well everyone and anything thing wil try anything to survive well the whole thing about the survile instinct stuff
carlosnino
Survival instinct would make you jump over and over again to get the banana but with no result. Only inteligence can make you stack the boxes and get it.
andy26
carlosnino wrote:
Survival instinct would make you jump over and over again to get the banana but with no result. Only inteligence can make you stack the boxes and get it.

yea i suppose your right yet instinct is made by inteligence and visa versa isnt it
carlosnino
andy26 wrote:
carlosnino wrote:

yea i suppose your right yet instinct is made by inteligence and visa versa isnt it

In my oppinion, they are totally independent and one was not generated by the other. They each evolved in their separate ways. But that's just my oppinion.
erlendhg
According to the Hitchhiker´s Guide to the Galaxy, mice is the smartest creatures on earth, and after them, dolphins, and humans on third place Razz

I guess many of you have read the book(s) or seen the movie (or even listened to the bbc thing on cd...) Smile
marcmgeronimo
generally speaking, the bigger the brain of an animal the more intelligent it is. That is why humans are more intelligent than animals coz we have the largest brain.

I think after the humans, primates are the second most intelligent animals, then there are the dolphines who exhibits intelligence through language.

Parrots? i don't think so... they just imitate sounds i think... Very Happy
andy26
marcmgeronimo wrote:
generally speaking, the bigger the brain of an animal the more intelligent it is. That is why humans are more intelligent than animals coz we have the largest brain.

I think after the humans, primates are the second most intelligent animals, then there are the dolphines who exhibits intelligence through language.

Parrots? i don't think so... they just imitate sounds i think... Very Happy

i dont think its got any thing to do with sze like they say size doesnt matter. your brain isnt like a hard drive and can only store a set amount of data
WeAlreadyHaveACult
elephants are matriarchal and they bury their dead. you can ride an elephant and take a shower or or or or or ....

camel s they spit and i rode one at the zoo.
i think birds are fantastic in instinct not smarts and dogs are okay and cats too and tigers too
shadeR
parrot is the most inteligent creature after human... some parrots has the intelligenc as a 5 year old baby...
triggerhappy
i know the third most smart creature is dalphins i don't know how but it is true
Michael B
I can't see why mice keep comeing up, they would be rather low in the list I would think.

I would say dolphines/whale, then apes/monkeys.

Dogs and Big Cats (Lions etc.) would be up the top of my list as well.

While I will say that animals are smart, they are nothing like humans. Humans can do abstract reasoning, animals can't, and it is important to remeber that.
ChaosMike
I would think black bears are pretty smart. Once they get to taste our food, they will go through great means and traps to retrieve that food, and succeed.
TSpiralP
I think the ape is second in line.
Jaime
I hate the bears Evil or Very Mad And I don't know why...
Althought are intelligent...
Josso
Supposedly apes or dolphins.
hazaramat
I think dolphin is the most intelligent animal. It can spell "most" correctly and not "the more intelligent".
rajhank
shadeR wrote:
parrot is the most inteligent creature after human... some parrots has the intelligenc as a 5 year old baby...

Absolutely Right, I go for Parrot too.
crispz
I thick after humans if would probably be dolphins or monkeys. ....more to Dolphins i think. Think
loveit
danny3165 wrote:
Dolphins in my humble opinion.

i think it's the dolphin,too.
Jaime
I correct the title, Is "most" not "more"... THanks... Wink
jasmine
I think its the dolphin.

They can be easily trained.

And more than that, they also serve as some therapy to ill people. Only I'm not sure what kind of illness.
tar-xzv
bcampos wrote:
i like ants
i tolk to them often
they are cool

Hahaha. This one made me laugh. Thanks a lot!

5ani
Rico
bcampos wrote:
i like ants
i tolk to them often
they are cool

As long as they don't talk back you should be OK Wink
jasmine
Ants... well I don't know anything about their IQ but I have to admit they are a hardworking bunch Very Happy
sn8k
My cat is the most intelligent animal !

(okay, right now, it's holdin' a gun behind me just to make me say it ! lool)
fx-trading-education
After human, I would say monkeys of course (bonobo and then chimpanzes). After it's not so clear between dogs, parrots or dolphins.

I saw that bonobo using a board where there were something like hundrerd keys for different words were really able to fully communicate with human and what was also interesting not only face to face (because they could also have interpreted the body language) but also by phone.

I heard that parrots have the intellgence of a 3 years old child. It's not bad but I think that monkeys have definitively more.

For dolphins there is a lot of discussion about there intelligence, but I think it's because we compare them to fishes, and fishes are very primitive. Compared to other mamals they are not so impresive.
yy1124
i would say dophins.
I remember some researches that classify them as the most inteligent animal...

but actually....human are animal too..
so the actual "most-inteligent-animal" will be human Very Happy
meetul
Jaime wrote:

As far as I know elephants are the wisest ones. They are even more intelligent than humans. After elephants, dolphins are there in the sight.

Recent researches revealed that the intelligence of an animal depends on the size of the brain of the animal, bigger the size of the head, more intelligent the animal will be. However, the case is not true for humans as in the case of humans, it is observed that if the brain is excessively large, the brain waves take much longer to travel which reduces the person's intelligence.
Lilystock
I would like it to be Dolphins. Just because I like them so much, really beautiful animal.

Then I would think Ape.

Elephants are mostly known for their memory, which isn't necessarelly a form of intelligence.

Ants, I wouldn't talk about intelligence for them as they are not adaptable at all. They are just programmed to do something and don't THINK to my knowledge.

Parrots.... Didn't even know that they had areputation of intelligence. I have always thought that they only repeat after you...
thealpha
Yes, I also agree that monkey is the second most intelligent animals in the world.
kla_bor
Rats, dolphins, dogs, monkeys
Winterborne
I think that Dolphins are the most intellegent, followed closely by primates. I'm not exactly sure why I put Dolphins first besides the fact that I like them better.
Dougnut King
Parrots all the way Dancing

Mr. Green
Soulfire
I've always been taught that Dolphins are the smartest animals (exlcuding Humans, or course).
hrtorrent
I watch some tv documentary about animal inteligence, i think it was in BBC production. In this documentary several animals are chozen to be tested for most inteligent animal after human. I think there was pig, dolphin, parrot, ape, and few other animals. Parrot won!
bulek
Gorilla, of course. It is scientificaly proofed.
warriorduck
Has anybody heard of crows?
Seriously, they're thought to be as or more intelligent
than chimpanzees (source: National Geographic), and
some of them actually MAKE tools far more complex
than any chimp has.
Many people are exhibiting the anthropomorphism we
have with domestic animals, no namesmentioned
(*cough* cats and dogs *cough*) Very Happy Really, they may
be intelligent, but saying cats are more intelligent than
the great apes is a bit silly.

Aside from crows, parrots are fairly up there- google
either Alex Foundation of N'kisi- and, of course, the
great apes, bonobos in particular. Orca whales are
the most intelligent cetaceans (dolphins, whales, etc),
followed by alot of dolphins. Pigs are are actually pretty
smart (more so than your average dog, at least),and
monkeys ARE more intelligent than average. Elephants
have extremely complex matriarchal society, too.

As for some other critters that exhibits at least some
intelligent behavior my list (by no means comprehensive)
are

Herons (fish with bait); cats; dogs (border collie in particular);
octupi (as intelligent as cats); toucans (use some tools,
learn alot of tricks quickly); Galapagos finches (use tools);
monitor lizards (described as unnervingly intelligent); and maybe
crocodiles. Humans might have qualified at one time, but
not now.

MY list would be
*humans*
New Caledonian Crows
Great apes
other Corvids
Parrots
orca whales
dolphins
elephants

Just a bit of scholarly opinion

Confused Wink
warriorduck
Just an addenum Very Happy
Rats are definitely up there;
run mazes, do math problems, etc.
If it was GROUP intelligence,
termites and/ or ants would be near the top..
Not enough time to list all the advanced technology
found in the home of a termite, but some of it would be
air conditioning, wells, gardens, caste system, use of
tools, directional orientation.. the list goes on.
Same applies to leaf- cutter ants and others.
Bees are pretty amazing, too.

Mind you, this doesn't mean INDIVIDUAL intelligence.
Termites, ants, and bees have brains smaller than
the head of a pin, and they are incapable of learning
from experience, with the possible exception of bees.
Still, they're pretty amazing, considering they were using
these technologies before millions of years before
primates even thought of evolving.
warriorduck
PS...
I'm personally a fan of the
birds, particularly parrots, and
I personally think that as a
whole they're alot more intelligent
than the apes and some humans Very Happy
Oh well Rolling Eyes I've prattled on long
enough, time to get off the soapbox.
MYP415
yea I wouldn't go with the parrot either... probably ape
SyncM
Its only a myth that dolphins are intelligent they have same intellect like a dog maybe a little more. Most intelligent is monkeys they have learned most communication symbols and can do some grammatik to.
But i hope that they discover soon that dolphins are more intelligent i like them
ashok
I think dolphins are what research suggests... it's just that we as humans have yet to figure out how to communicate with them in their language. Chimps are a pretty close second...
paulbarter
Yep - I dont think it is parrots! They can imitate sounds, but thats all, there is no understanding there at all! Well - who knows, maybe they know it all and just are not telling us!

I will go with chimps, although dogs are a close second. I have a blind friend who can tell his dog the names of different locations when they are there, and then later, by just repeating the name of the place, the dog can find it again!

As for the statement that an Octopus has the same intelligence as a 2 year old, that is a stretch! It is just that the 2 year old doesnt have the motor skills to act on its thoughts - but they are still there.
genchan
Parrot and dolphins are smart animals. Saw a program on TV where the owner taught the bird how to count and pick the correct cards etc. Dolphins as we know have been used in shows, so do other animals like seals and dogs and cats and lions etc.

But I have to say chimpanzees are the cleverest. The latest report in Newsweek or Time (I forgot) noted that chimpanzees share about 99% DNA similarity with humans.
Cyberius
Smile Hi I think that the Dolphins are the most intelligent animals, they can talk with others at long distances, they can detect in humans what is wrong in our brai or body, I like the dolphins and I see them in dolphoniotherapy with childrens with problems, and the childrens have an evolution , its wonderfull
warriorduck
I don't know about dolphins...
They seem to show quite a bit of
intelligent behavior, but they're so
alien to us that we can't know...
Once again, this rings a bit of anthro-
pomorphism.. we automatically
assume something more like us
(humans) is more intelligent. Once
again, dogs CANNOT be ranked on
the same level as chimps, dolphins, and
parrots... They can learn tricks, but
it's doubtful most of them really know
what they're doing.. just imitation, like
most parrots. However, there a few
exceptions; some dogs
learning to open doors, etc..
On the same note, you can't dismiss parrots of
simply imitating. There are many
examplesof them learning to ask
for things , count, etc.
Look up Alex Foundation on google.

However, my vote would be crows...
definitely smarter than dogs, and probably
as smart as the great apes.
However, they're so unlike us we don't
like to think they are more intelligent
than the (admittedly cuter) chimps, which
look so much more like us.

Oh, and the DNA thing is irrelevant, by the
way. We share around 96% of our DNA
with a bacterium Confused
engeland
did you know that dolphins and humans are the only, that have sex for pleasure?
warriorduck
Actually not-
Bonobos have their entire
society based on sex, rather
than violence.

PS This just in-
elephants can recognize themselves
in the mirror!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/science/31observ.html?ref=science
Afaceinthematrix
I'd have to say humans. After humans its supposed to be either dolphins or chimps (I watched a thing on the Discovery Channel on this). And why would people say parrots? They do nothing that's smart besides mock what people say.
warriorduck
Once again, parrots DO show
a lot of intelligent behavior-
if you don't believe me, look up
Alex Foundation on Google.
Many parrots learn to use re-
sponsive and referential speech.
MYNAHS, on the other hand,
cannot.
indianinworld
Just a Thought

It is Obvious that Dog is / may be the second intelligent Animal Man after Human beings...

Of course, Monkeys - Parrots - Dolphins are not used for Intelligence Services...

Even History suggests that Dogs were used from Medival times - as a Saver / Friend for Human beings.

Keep smiling Smile
indianinworld
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I'd have to say humans. After humans its supposed to be either dolphins or chimps (I watched a thing on the Discovery Channel on this). And why would people say parrots? They do nothing that's smart besides mock what people say.

As a matter of fact, Discovery Channel and NGC (Star Group) has already Directed and filmed an biography of dogs and their nature long ago.

Keep Smiling Smile
palavra
but their own abilities are also interesting.

how a bee can make honey
how a spider can make web

interesting.
warriorduck
It's true that no animal in the
world matches the dog in companionship
and training (except maybe horses). How-
ever, significance to man is not an accurate
measure of intelligence. After all, the cow
is one of the most useful animals known
to man, and nobody really ever accused
cows of intelligence! Very Happy
pluppen_2
I think monkey or deplhines.
Very inteligent animals both of them.
Monkey is near to humans too.
TheSublime
I'd have to say either some kind of monkey, the dolphin, or those aliens from ASC7002B. But seriously, the dolphin.
jobu
I have to go with emotional animals.

Did you know elephants shed tears? Monkeys love. Dogs whine.

There is not way to measure intelligence in an animal. 75% of statistics are made up on the spot. How many facts are?

So ya,
Elephants, Gorilla, and Dolphins though I have no proof nor have spent much time with dolphins. Those are the 3 most sacred to me.
Peterssidan
Parrot Arrow Question Very Happy No... Why should a parrot be the most intelligent animal? They don't learn to talk they only mime. I think the some apes is most intelligent. I once saw a program about bonobo apes they learned one of them some words. The monkey pushed on buttons with simbols and a voice said the word. The sumbols had nothing to do with the word. So if a human ask it something it could answer with the buttons. It was kind of cool so I think the bonobo ape is the most intelligent animal in the world in the way the human mean intelligent.

Exclamation The bonobo ape is the same as Pygmy Chimpanzee Exclamation
warriorduck
Parrots actually CAN
use meaningful speech- so
can bonobos, chimps,
gorillas (koko!), and probably
crows. Many animals probably
have a language all of their own,
but we just don't have the
means to find out- dolphins,
for instance. Elephants, bonobos,
chimps, and many other primates
are all animals known to
have a well developed sense
of emotion similar to our
own. Some dolphins use a
social structure similar to our
own, and crow have been
known to show altruistic behavior.
It is a common occurence for a
flock of crows to alert another flock
as to the location of a food source,
sometimes even leading them.
There is a very touching account
of a hippo Question finding
a crocodile attacking a baby
impala, drivig the croc away,
then nudging the antelope, trying
to rouse it. It then licked the
dying baby, and, in a desperate
effort, putting its huge jaws
to the impala's moth and trying
to rescusitate it. Failing that,
the hippo lay beside the infant and
kept it company for its
final few hours.
This is certainly an exceptional
beast- hippos are not usually
credited with intelligence.
A male killer whale will occasionally
give his mate a sonogram when she
is pregnant. This has a surprisingly
large degree of accuracy- if he
determines the fetus is dead, he will
go into mourning and the female
will naturally abort the baby and
absorb it into her body.
jayrelle
I think dogs are intelligent next to human beings because they can easily learn tricks, even sometimes, human rely themselves on the dogs.Or even trust their lives on them. Wink
shwelfszen
[size=12]According to Edward O. Wilson, a behavioral biologist (scientist who studies the behavior of animals), the ten most intelligent animals are the following:

1. Chimpanzee (two species)
2. Gorilla
3. Orangutan
4. Baboon (seven species, including drill and mandrill)
5. Gibbon (seven species)
6. Monkey (many species, especially the macaques, the patas, and the Celebes black ape)
7. Smaller-toothed whale (several species, especially killer whale)
8. Dolphin (many of the approximately eighty species)
9. Elephant (two species)
10. Pig
shwelfszen
In my opinion, follwing are the most intelligent animals in order:

1. Chimpanzee
2. Ant
3. Dolphin
4. Lion
5. Tiger
6. Fox
7. Wolf
8. Dog
9. Cat
10. Horse
jessicawalker
shwelfszen wrote:
In my opinion, follwing are the most intelligent animals in order:

1. Chimpanzee
2. Ant
3. Dolphin
4. Lion
5. Tiger
6. Fox
7. Wolf
8. Dog
9. Cat
10. Horse

No way. Ants are definitely not more intelligent than dolphins. I mean, sure, they're super resourceful and adaptive and all that, but isn't it purely instinct? Dolphins feel. Dolphins can act out in ways that are purely influenced by they're emotions. And dogs are not more intelligent than horses. Or cats for that matter (just more obedient). I've come to respect something that won't allow you to train it, even though it knows exactly what you're saying to it. That shows me intelligence through defiance and it's something I can relate to Razz. But I suppose that's my opinion, as I'm not a scientist or anything.
Afaceinthematrix
shwelfszen wrote:
[size=12]According to Edward O. Wilson, a behavioral biologist (scientist who studies the behavior of animals), the ten most intelligent animals are the following:

1. Chimpanzee (two species)
2. Gorilla
3. Orangutan
4. Baboon (seven species, including drill and mandrill)
5. Gibbon (seven species)
6. Monkey (many species, especially the macaques, the patas, and the Celebes black ape)
7. Smaller-toothed whale (several species, especially killer whale)
8. Dolphin (many of the approximately eighty species)
9. Elephant (two species)
10. Pig

I can see that... But I'd probably still put human beings as number one and then shove everything down lower...
raaeft1
I thinks dogs and monkeys. They have innate intelligence.
blacktshirtnews
monkey for sure
ted1986
Tiger, trust me. and cat.
deanhills
I think this depends in what context the intelligence is measured. All the other animals would be at a disadvantage in this debate, as we would be evaluating their level of intelligence from our human point of view. We would for example first have to turn into tigers, before we can evaluate their level of intelligence.
its-herstyle
parrots are smart, however i wouldn't consider them the most intelligent after humans(even though humans aren't really smart).. they're probably a good ten spaces down the list. in my opinion, i believe horses, mainly arabians are incredibly smart. i own two, and it's almost as if your with a human, you can understand everything just through their moments and face expressions. besides that, i'd say golden retrievers are close to the top of the list..but that's just my opinion. =)
shkumbin
I think dolphins are the most iontelligent animals after humans lol because I have watched a lot of documentaries where they show how intelligent they are, the parrot isnt so smart he just can be trained just like dogs or cats...
haseeb_siddiq
i think monkey the most intelligent animal

it can make tools n more

and its almost like a human
steve1200
Our biology teacher told us that after apes mollusca (octupusses, calmar, ...) are the most intelligent animals. The only barricade for them was that they live in the water, so they can't use fire. He told us about theories that if they could have used fire, they would have developed like the apes.

I don't know, if it is "true", but he brought a lot of reasons and evidence for this theory. He is one of the best teachers in our school so i believe him ^^
gmiller
I think dolphin and chimpanzee are the most intelligent animals.
natilovesmike
It depends in what is your definition of intelligent. Mostly all animals can learn by classical and operant conditioning. You can even train animals to be creative.
After that, what other ways of learning are there out there? and can it be proven that animals (other than humans) can learn that way?

I think all animals are intelligent in their own way. They are built to survive in their environment and many can adapt when that environment changes.

So, I couldn't say really. Until you have a definition of intelligent.
myhearing
I reckon....Camels. Only because i love camels! Or Ostriches...I hear they run PRETTY fast.loool.

I would never say humans, because we ARENT animalsss!!
wanshishusheng
magneto_ms wrote:
mate i think, parrots need to wait in line, after apes, dolphins, and god knows what..Very Happy

I agree , anyway dogs and elephants can be added.
wanshi
dog I think is clever
goutha
I think that dogs are very intelligent.

But there's also the Grey of Africa Parrot. a very intelligent bird.

Octopus is also very very intelligent.

But I read that Crows are the most intelligent ones.
deanhills
I would also go with dolphins. With regard to dogs, I've found it varies as some are more intelligent than others. Also depends on how they have been trained too.
Vrythramax
I'd have to say humans are the most intelligent animals...but I may be biased.
ponda
I would say apes, and dolphins. And dogs of course.
joe_042293
Number one is humans, obviously. Number 2, probably a primate of some kind. Behind them, I don't know... maybe whales or something.
Fake
Jaime wrote:

parrot...an animal with zero intelligence if we compare them to dolphins and apes....
budgiebird
I think Parrots are intelligent after human being and the most lovely creation of God.They are the best for pets.
Chellesei
As for me, I think apes, whales, dolphins, and mollusks are intelligent animals. Well, dogs are intelligent too but just as what dean said, their intelligence varies on their breeds and the training given by their owners. But still... I think dogs are really smart animals. Smile
neha46101
I think monkey on the first and second is penguin most intelligent animals ............. Very Happy
Radar
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tells us dolphins.

Yes, I'm choosing not to count the mice. They're not technically native to Earth in Hitchhiker's lore. Although how the dolphins came to be here and super smart I don't know.
mochipie
Goldfish! Haha, I'm just kidding. I agree with everyone who says apes/monkeys/dolphins.
Hello_World
Chimps and orangatuangs are smart. Some dogs are pretty smart. These are the ones I have observed.