FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Released

Donutey
Ubuntu has always been a pretty cool OS, and it's getting closer and closer for Joe Everybody to use it on a day to day basis. I just hope they can figure out some built in support for things like DVDs and proprietary codecs, because it's kind of annoying having to look for them for the average user.

Quote:

Ubuntu, which has become one of the world's most popular Linux distributions in recent years, launched its latest version on June 1 following months of intense testing. The new release is titled Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Long Term Support), and has a specific emphasis on the needs of large organisations with both desktop and server versions.

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS introduces functionality that simplifies common Linux server deployment processes. For system administrators setting up large numbers of web, mail and related servers, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS offers the fastest and most consistent path to deployment, combined with the availability of global commercial support where needed. "Ubuntu has a reputation for working well out of the box on desktops, and we have worked to bring that same ease of deployment and configuration to the server marketplace" said Mark Shuttleworth, founder of the Ubuntu project. "Based on our analysis of the ways people were already deploying Ubuntu on servers, we have aimed to streamline their experience while expanding the range of software available to people deploying Ubuntu in the data centre."

Ubuntu is freely available, including security updates for five years on servers, with no restrictions on usage and no requirement to purchase support contracts or subscriptions per deployment. Full telephone & online support on commercial terms is available globally from Canonical Ltd and other companies. "The economics of Ubuntu deployment are fundamentally different from those of other leading Linux distributions that offer commercial support" said Jane Silber, COO of Canonical Ltd. "Companies and individuals can deploy Ubuntu widely, and purchase support only for the machines where they need the assurance of a Support Level Agreement. This makes Ubuntu the preferred choice for large scale deployments where support contracts are not essential on every machine." .. .. ..

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/606released
lawmatchmaker
I tried Ubantu and found the user-interface very friendly and intutive, only problem was that it did not support my sound card therefore with I had to go back to Windows XP, I think that once open-sourced operating systems iron out hardware compatability problems, alot more users will migrate to open source
corey
That's always what keeps things back. The hardware manufacturers don't want to develop drivers for all operating systems and they don't want to open up their specs, so the hardware needs to be reverse-engeneered and the drivers need to be hacked together from what is found. Of course, this makes some things better. My Epson Stylus CX1500, for example, prints a lot better with the Linux driver than with the one that Epson made for Windows (but they DID open their specs).