FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tell me about a movie that you expected to hate...and didn't

girlcalledjay
Last weekend I saw The Benchwarmers starring Rob Schneider, David Spade and that Napoleon Dynamite guy.

It's about some nerds/geeks/dorks who start playing baseball against local childrens teams. They find themselves a sponsor and start playing in a tournament.

It has all the usual feelgood and cringe-worthy moments, but you know what? I really enjoyed it!!

Perhaps it said something to the geek in me that remembers not being the coolest kid in school?! Smile In any case, I was pleasantly surprised.

I often go to a movie expecting it to be fabulous and end up disappointed, but it's a really nice change to expect garbage and end up having a good time!

Would love to hear about anyone else who has found themselves enjoying a potentially bad movie.
ylmun
The most recent one was X3. I heard all these bad reviews about it and they had changed directors, etc. Then I saw it and...it...ROCKED

Before that, I'm surprised to say that I didn't think I would like Pirates of the Caribbean. I mean, it was named after and loosely based on a Disney ride, for ****'s sake! They tried to recreate scenes from the ride in the movie so that it would be, IMO one big marketing commercial for Disney world. But, as any sane person knows, that...movie...kicked...shiNY...METAL...ASS!!

There were a couple more, but those were my recent two.
S3nd K3ys
I'd have to say Shrek. My wife got it to watch with my son, and wanted me to watch too. I said I'd watch a little bit then go do something else. If you've seen Shrek, you'll know the opening scene shows Shrek in an out-house taking a number-two reading a magazine.

When he ripped out that page and wiped his ass with it I knew it was gonna be good. Laughing Laughing Laughing
HoboPelican
Rat Race.

I expected some stupid rip off of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World", but I fell in love with the movie! There are so many scenes that make me laugh out loud just thinking about them. The radar tower scene, the Amy's expressions as she's attacking her boyfriend, the Barby Museum.... on and on. I don't know if it's for everbody, but that is the one of the funniest movies I have every seen!
CrimsonStrange
Farinelli - I got interested in it because of the operatic element in the storyline, but I thought I'd find it boring due to the spoken languages being Italian & French. After just a few minutes, I was an addicted fan - it's got a lush musical score, a heartbreaking story and gorgeous photography.
ansysic
Saw

I think you know saw. A horror film in which the main charakters have to kill themselves Idea
A lot of people say this film is nutty but i like it. I've never seen something like this before...
molif
LORD OF THE RINGS..

im not a fan of a movie depicts war or ancient times or about civilisation or caesars time..

but LORD OF THE RINGS sure prove me wrong.. i mean, this is the only movie of the kind that i hate, LOVE MOST.. haha.. get it..? nvm..

aniway, i love magical mystical storyline.. like lord of the rings, got wizard, warriors, dwarves, elves, trolls bla bla bla.. i wish i could be an elf.. muahaha..

GREAT MOVIE OF ALL TIME.. the last movie, the best among the trilogy..
molif
ansysic wrote:
Saw

I think you know saw. A horror film in which the main charakters have to kill themselves Idea
A lot of people say this film is nutty but i like it. I've never seen something like this before...

saw is freaking cool man.. i hate cheesy murdering stories like scream or watever it is.. this movie sure takes a delicate thinking to make up this kind of story.. great concept plus a new concept indeed.. never seen this kind of movie before...
althalus
I thought DOOM would suck hairy balls, because very few titles handle the transit in media "game -> movie" very well. However, I found it very entertaining, and although it might not be the best experience script-wise, I found it to be better than the game it's based on - DOOM3 (which indeed did suck hairy balls.
saveexclusive
I thought Million Dollar Baby would be a so-so movie. However, one of my assignments included to write a paper on Clint Eastwood's film, Million Dollar Baby, which according to the Times was a controversial film. After reading so much about the film I finally saw it and was very surprised. It was a great movie, and Clint Eastwood did a fantastic job. Even though the movie was good, it was also very sad and heart breaking. Never knew films had this tremendous power, the power to influence emotions in people even though people know that it is all acting. I recommend all to see Milllion dollar baby, you wont be dissapointed.
vexation
The Notebook

I just am not one to enjoy "chick flicks", but I really enjoyed this movie..The book is also great, greater than the movie
Dean_The_Great
I was dating this girl who took me to see "Finding Nemo" thought it would be terrible but it was kinda funny and endearing. I'm not rushing to see it again... but it didn't suck.
jmudreamscape
I expected to hate Napoloen Dynamite...but didn't. Really thought I'd hate "A Walk to Remember"...but I still like that movie.
HDirtwater
Years ago I went to a movie with some old friends who wanted to see True Lies (with Arnold the Governator) and I was certain it would be a total piece of @#! Boy was I wrong. What a fun movie!
Sappho
Deffinitely "Walk to Remember" i was expecting another clich้ teenage romance comedy... but i definitely wasnt expecting what it really delivered.
paul_indo
Yea, Benchwarmers is quite neat. I saw it a couple of months ago.

The other day I watched a movie called Failure to launch. I only watched it cause my wife got it but it was really funny.
bangala
Quest for fire was a movie that I expected to be boring, specially for my wife, as I was warned that there was no verbal dialogues in the film. Communication is all done through music and gestures.
I've invited her to join me to watch it in one of the Cinema clubs, and I was surprised that we ended enjoying it so much. It was very romantic and inspiring for both of us Smile
serazat
I never expected to hate a movie since I never read any reviews before watching the movie but since I look at the list of high-rated movies there have been many cases in which I been disappointed while expecting so much from a movie. one example was "Fargo" for me.
HoboPelican
serazat wrote:
I never expected to hate a movie since I never read any reviews before watching the movie but since I look at the list of high-rated movies there have been many cases in which I been disappointed while expecting so much from a movie. one example was "Fargo" for me.

Wow, I understand not reading reviews, but ya gotta tell me how you avoid the feakin' trailers! These days trailers give you almost the whole movie and if it's a comedy all the great lines get spoiled. I would rather be surprised the first time I see a flick, but that's just me.
Farhad
I thought I would hate Constantine, since it got pretty panned by the critics. But I watched it and loved it. Just because it was so much like a comic book. Everyone still says it sucks but I love it!
smithycpl
I tought i would have hated Dodgeball!
But it was so stupid that it was fun!
It was a good funny movie in the category of a police acadamy, but the first one! Laughing
Skouris
I thought I would absolutely hate Underworld. I love movies about vampires and such but the commercials made it seem really lame. I ended up seeing the film for the first time a year after it had been released out of sheer boredom and I was pleasantly surprised. Michael Sheen as Lucian really blew me away and the storyline and the characters really made an impression.