FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite Dreamcast (or earlier) console game

Bookface
The reason I add "(or earlier)" is that there are many emulators for the DreamCast, so I could conceivably use it to play NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari, Spectrum, Amiga, some older MAME, etc. games as well.

But mainly I want to hear more about the recent flood of Dreamcast games available as it falls into abandonware, so I know which are worth getting.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. So far, the best game I've seen on DreamCast is Virtua Tennis, and second place is Ooga Booga, an third is Ecco: Defender of the Future. I liked a lot of other games, but they mostly got boring with time; these have lasted.

Oh, and Dance Dance Revolution, but that's hardly a DreamCast-based game.
linkman2004
I hated the DreamCast! Razz I also thing it's kinda' dumb that IGN is re-reviewing every DreamCast game. Also, it's stupid that people are still making games for it. Razz I love games from the NES and SNES, though. My favorite game from that time would probably be Yoshi's Island or A Link to the Past. Great games those were.
romsman
my favorite games for dreamcast were shenmue 1 & 2, soul calibur and an rpg that has been rereleased on gamecube but from wich i can't remeber the name :-p
MrMaddog
I loved a lot of games I've played on the Dreamcast, which sad to say I had to sell off when I moved... Sad

My overall favorite is Phantasy Star Online of course! Smile And I played it up until they shut off the servers. Was thinking about getting the PC version if they would finally fix the kinks on that.

My other favorites were Gauntlet Legends (closer to the arcade then the N64 one), Crazy Taxi, Shenmue and Soul Calibur. Capcom vs. SNK was another great one but I rented it and already beaten it. Wink

As for emulation, yeah it's great for that. Just burn an ISO on a CD-R and use it on an older Dreamcast...no mod chip needed! While it's great for console emuation however, I was more interested in MAME and it wasn't powerful enough for the games I want to play for it. Which is why I'll be getting a used Xbox just for that purpose.

The only other console I had with the same quirky vibe was the Gamecube, which is why I can't wait for the Wii... Very Happy
ignition
Haha I still play DC occasionally with a friend...only good thing about that console is that it's so easy to get games for it. Some of my favorites would have to be Toy Commander and Grand Theft Auto 2.
Bookface
IGN is re-reviewing them? Why would they do that? I was coming up with their reviews quite regularly, I never realized they were new. It is pretty stupid for companies to still be making games for it, seeing how easy they are to copy; I bought one game with my DreamCast and haven't bought another since (nor did I plan to.)

Toy Commander looks great, with really original gameplay. I'll get on that right away.

Shenmue! I'd forgotten about that one, I think I lost my discs for it. I should check that out too.

DDR, by the way, is just as good as on any other platform--if you've got a DreamCast already, kick in the $15 for a game pad and give it a whirl.

Crazy Taxi is quite fun, and so is Jet Grind Radio.

thanks for the suggestions, guys, keep them coming!
Bookface
romsman, is the game you were thinking of called Evolution? or maybe Time Stalkers?

Quote:
If you’re still confused as to what the dungeon crawler RPG genre has to offer you may want to give some games a try for fun. Remember you very well may want to rent some of these games before you buy them in case you hate what you end up with. If you happen to own a Sega Dreamcast, there are 3 games you can select from that you should be able to find inexpensively in most places. “Evolution: The World of Sacred Device” and its sequel “Evolution 2: Far Off Promise” for the Dreamcast are good games to experience a taste of dungeon crawler style play. These two games are being re-released with new features as “Evolution Worlds” for the Nintendo GameCube in November, so you may want to wait for that release if you don’t have the now retired Dreamcast. Another title for the Dreamcast would be Time Stalkers. This is one of those games where you lose all of your experience when you enter the dungeon so be forewarned.
AdamantMonk
probably Jet Grind Radio

funny how nobody is ever gonna say RE:code veronica or THPS2...

haha
ignition
Oh yea Jet Grind Radio..forgot that - pretty fun game. Dreamcast had a ton of good fighters also; my favorites being Dead or Alive 2, Soul Calibur, and Marvel vs. Capcom. As for Crazy Taxi..I dunno it's alright I guess...I have it but never played it much. Definitely check out Toy Commander though.
AdamantMonk
Also Seaman, what a Revolutionary game in a boring package... the 10 hrs of boredom was always made up for with "So, born in July huh? Your parents must have been cold." sorta stuff.
squeakypants
DC = Ikaruga. Amazing classic Very Happy Definitely try to "buy" it for DC.
romsman
Bookface wrote:
romsman, is the game you were thinking of called Evolution? or maybe Time Stalkers?

Quote:
If you’re still confused as to what the dungeon crawler RPG genre has to offer you may want to give some games a try for fun. Remember you very well may want to rent some of these games before you buy them in case you hate what you end up with. If you happen to own a Sega Dreamcast, there are 3 games you can select from that you should be able to find inexpensively in most places. “Evolution: The World of Sacred Device” and its sequel “Evolution 2: Far Off Promise” for the Dreamcast are good games to experience a taste of dungeon crawler style play. These two games are being re-released with new features as “Evolution Worlds” for the Nintendo GameCube in November, so you may want to wait for that release if you don’t have the now retired Dreamcast. Another title for the Dreamcast would be Time Stalkers. This is one of those games where you lose all of your experience when you enter the dungeon so be forewarned.

no i looked op the name on gamespot, it's called skies of arcadia. It's a really good RPG with great graphics for that time. Good story too.
Goluse
As far as the dreamcast goes:

Fighting Games where definitely on point:
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (any street fighter fans out there?)
Soul Caliber is fun for a little bit.
Virtua Fighter 3tb

and just all around fun I would have to agree with Jet Grind/Set Radio that game is still fun to play.

Anyone ever beat Shenmue?
bogger
Just to point out, the WII will have a download thing (or something like that) so you can play all of it's old games! all!

I mean metal slug!
I mean Super Mario brothers!
I mean EVERYTHING!

As an added bonus, they've even gotten all the Dreamcast games!

So you'll be seeing me, playing with my motion sensor controllers, as metal slug, although sonic would be fun.

on topic

I loved the sonic games, Razz
Thatguy
I think the most fun game on Dreamcast was either Jet Grind Radio or Ikaruga.

For any system older, it would be Super Mario All-Stars for Super Nintendo. Mario 1, 2, 3, World, and the Lost Levels on one cartridge?! Sign me up.