FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

On Screen Ads During TV shows

IHow do you feel about the trend of putting ads on screen during TV shows?
Hate it.
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Just annnoying.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Doesn't affect me either way.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Like it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Love it (just to be fair)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

HoboPelican
Am I the only one who is getting really ticked about all the ads that show up at the bottom of TV screens during shows? First there was the station identifiers, small and translucent. Those weren't bad, but then they started advertising coming shows. Small video clips, sound, images getting bigger and more intrusive. I gotta say that I find it really annoying and feel it distracts from the show. At times, I can't even hear the dialog.

So, what do you think?

(BTW-I'm addressing a US trend, but if it's happening in your neck of the woods, jump right in. )
Miniwood
I hate it too. Here in the UK we have no advertising on the four BBC channels (WOW uh?) but commercial, and especially cable, channels ruin your viewing with these ads. I also dislike the trend of shrinking the credits for a show into a small box and talking about the upcoming show. I may be a nerd but I want to see the credits and if the next show is not to my taste no amount of plugging is going to make me stay tuned.
HoboPelican
Miniwood wrote:
I hate it too. Here in the UK we have no advertising on the four BBC channels (WOW uh?) but commercial, and especially cable, channels ruin your viewing with these ads. I also dislike the trend of shrinking the credits for a show into a small box and talking about the upcoming show. I may be a nerd but I want to see the credits and if the next show is not to my taste no amount of plugging is going to make me stay tuned.

YES! That was going to be my next post Very Happy And not only shrinking, but running them so freakin' fast. A couple of night ago they did that to a Jackie Chan flick. And whether you love him or not, the outakes during the credits are some of the best parts of the movie. grrrrrrrrr.
Moey
I'm always curious and naturally I look at those, and then I totally forget about the show I'm watching! Some stations have them more than others though I guess. At least from my experiences, they seem to be on channels that aren't major companies like NBC or CBS.
jefry66
i hate that ads.
on dutch television we have a lot of ads Confused
alkady
Think of the bright side, These ads are only telling you whats coming up next. Its really for people wo dont get the TV Guide and to remind people who forgot whats next.

Obviously these Tickers display news, Whats next?, Events ect. But they do ruin the feel effect that was originally intended. I myself find them annoying because they hide part of the image.
HoboPelican
alkady wrote:
Think of the bright side, These ads are only telling you whats coming up next. Its really for people wo dont get the TV Guide and to remind people who forgot whats next.

Actually, in the US, it's much more than what's up next. they are advertising shows up to a week in advance. Haven't seen products yet, but I bet it won't be long. And the audio is as annoying to me as the goofy visuals. Very distracting.
alittlefedup
I think I witnessed the worst ever. It was the Logo channel & while watching an episode of Roseanne an ad for Rupauls drag race came on the screen. But here's the kicker. It wasn't at the bottom or bottom right or bottom left, it was almost the entire right side of the screen completely covering the episode of Roseanne while in progress (not the credits at the end or as an episode is ending & a new starting simultaneously, it was right there during the show). And it wasn't translucent either. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Absolutely unacceptable!!!!!! Thanks for letting me vent.
codersfriend
one of the reasons why I prefer downloading or online streaming