FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Pirate Bay

n0obie4life
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Bay

They got raided by the police and all it's servers at et cetra were confiscated.

I have a reason for posting this which is - to all the warez hosters on Frihost, you don't want this to happen. And to Frihosters who knows a website that is hosted by Frihost and hosts warez, please, report it to Bondings!

Any thoughts?

psst : I've never been to the The Pirate Bay's website, but I've definately heard of it.
joxang
S.o.a.b Neutral. I can't believe it.

The Swedes are supposed to be fairly liberal, and The Pirate Bay was the greatly respected bastion of the international bittorrent community's efforts against the US.

This is a mighty blow indeed, but most of all it highlights how much influence organisations such as the MPAA have on world politics. I have nothing against the United States, and respect their position in many international affairs, but this is getting very very silly. Leave the Swedes alone!!!

"Swedish police did not find anything that was infringing copyright laws." - I hope this means nothing will be changed.

I'm beginning to understand why so many people hate America - it's largely down to the image given to them by their many greedy super-corporations.
Scorpio
I know that site pretty well, (no I Dont)

But anyway, even other such sites were sued

That is basically a torrent site, and many such sites have received notices from the MPAA and RIAA
Hobbit
I'm not sure how this works, but don't you agree to the tos every time you download a torrent? And one of those agreements is that if you download something illegal(pirated) that you will face the consequences, not the pirate bay.

Well the pirate bay is a pretty obvious name due to its cause, so they really have no excuse. But they only have .torrent files, so they can't get in much trouble. I don't know much, but I think this is basically connects you to someone who has that file.
tidruG
Pretty much every link that contains comment-enables news has at least 200 replies and comments to the stories. I didn't really go through them, but one can imagine what the replies will probably be. Razz

I've never used Pirate Bay, but I have been to their "legal" page (a link was sent to me by a friend), and to some page that had mails and other communications from various anti-piracy agencies asking them to take copyrighted material off their servers. TPB's replies made some amusing reading Twisted Evil
Shiva
I saw their site after the police had their servers confiscated, pretty funny I think

I never got into their site or servers..
Assiez
The lastest news is that the police have gone through the servers but haven't found anything illegal. That's because the piratebay only indexes meta data as .torrent files, they don't host the content themselves.

And also, apparently the owners of TPB say that the site will be back up in a couple days, most likely located in another country
Shiva
The police can't do anything about illigal stuff..

If some people wants to make something illigal, they can do it!!
eLto
The thing about the pirate bay, is that it is basically in every aspect, legal. They don't host the actual files, they host the share files, also known as torrents. The piratebay has nothing to do with what their individual userspost, and they only index the files. Also, on another note, the cops had to bring in 50 policemen to obtain the three geeks at tpb.

and as the site gladly says today:

thepiratebay.org wrote:
SITE DOWN - WILL BE UP AND FULLY FUNCTIONAL WITHIN A DAY OR TWO

In the morning of 2006-05-31 the Swedish National Criminal Police showed a search warrant to Rix|Port80 personnell. The warrant was valid for all datacentres of Rix|Port80 and was directed at The Pirate Bay. The allegation was breach of copy-right law, alternatively assisting breach of copy-right law.

The police officers were allowed access to the racks where the TPB servers and other servers are hosted. All servers in the racks were clearly marked as to which sites run on each. The police took down all servers in the racks, including the non-commercial site Piratbyrån, the mission of which is to defend the rights of TPB via public debate.

According to police officers simultaneously questioning the president of Rix|Port80, the purpose of the search warrant is to take down TPB in order to secure evidence of the allegations mentioned above.

The necessity for securing technical evidence for the existance of a web-service which is fully official, the legality of which has been under public debate for years and whose principals are public persons giving regular press interviews, could not be explained. Asked for other reasoning behind the choice to take down a site, without knowing wether it is illegal or not, the officers explained that this is normal.

The TPB can receive compensation from the Swedish state in case that the upcoming legal processes show that TPB is indeed legal.
falconfx
And another good site is gone Sad (well, they said that the site would be up within two days Wink ).

I think the majors have hit the limit. Their only objective is to oppress the final user by using "unfair" copyright laws.

I hope we can stop them before they will destroy us! Crying or Very sad

OT: Did I use the correct tense in the last sentence? Question
Assiez
falconfx wrote:

usually this is fine:
I hope we can stop them before they destroy us!
XLax
It shall be much missed! It was one hell of a handy site. I got all these old shows and odds and ends you really can't find anywhere else, on the internet or otherwise. I really wish they hadn't shut it down, they weren't nessicarily providing pirated stuff, people were just hosting their torrents on it, and some of those torrents (maybe most) happened to be illegal. But why not get rid of those rather than take everything down? What of the people who wish for things unavaliable, but perhaps legal?

WHAT OF US!?!
Donutey
It probably won't be shut down for long, the police should have prosecuted the users who were sharing warez etc. files, rather that the site, because the site doesnt' host or control the torrent files. (and the site probably had a disclaimer up saying as much)
caroline
I've never heard of it.
But hadn't something similar happened to suprnova.com or org, I don't remember, too?
These sites are awesome, I'm sure if everyone voted on this issue a law letting these sites exist would pass Smile
tidruG
falconfx wrote:

OT : You can't use the future tense in both clauses of your sentence.
The correct way to write it would be:
"I hope we can stop them before they destroy us"
or
"I hope we stop them before they destroy us"
saiyeek
Yes, I have heard of Pirate Bay. It was a torrent site. I used to use the torrents from there for downloading e-books. Very sad it is no more.
deroga
They won't definitely be shut down for long. Just see this article: http://slyck.com/news.php?story=1204. At least they put up a fight.
falconfx
tidruG wrote:
OT : You can't use the future tense in both clauses of your sentence.
The correct way to write it would be:
"I hope we can stop them before they destroy us"
or
"I hope we stop them before they destroy us"

OT: Thank you very much! Wink
From now I'll use the present tense in such sentences.
raman
I go to that site sometimes to download torrents, its a good site with lots of em on it.
Assiez
thing this is that almost every focuses on the illegal torrents indexed by thepiratebay.org. But the thing is that they also have a ton of legally distrubited torrents which help new artists and such out.
Rmgk
i dont expect them to be in any real trouble only hosting torrent files....they were origianlly ment to distribute linux distros right...
deroga
Well it's back online now: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1209
alkady
Well Pirate Bay isnt the only torrent site, It looks like someone else will take their place.
ryanh2006
Yeah in a way it was a such a cool story Razz It has all of the workings of an episode of 24! The thing with these "hacking"/"illegal" [mm i guess those words depend on your point of view Wink ) sites is that the more they get busted, the more determined the other side gets. Its like a never ending game of cat and mouse!
faker
it is hard to take down all the torrent sites and torrent users, torrent has already grow so big most of them stop using other p2p software like emule kazaa napster and so on. the concept of torrent dividing a large chunk of files and download it from other peers means solution to wares. the more they download the more they share
hrtorrent
The Pirate Bay is great site for torrents. You can easy and quick download software, games and mouvies with torrent client.

Hovewer, this is not pirate site. This site contains only information about content, but content is actualy on users computers.
Andrew426
I clicked on this thread expecting it to be about actual pirates (Yarr).

Iv never heard of that site beforew.
Is it any good?
Is it illegal to use?

Edit:

They seem to be up again, but their search function doesnt work, just returns:
Quote:
No hits due to politics

The search function will be back later today.
Th3St1ck
to the guy above me TPB is not illegal to use...
but if u download torrents off it...then its illegal.....
anyways

i <3 TPB its just about the best torrent site

it sux that the swedish police raided them...
but i heard that some kid defaced the swedish polices' website
YEY
jongoldsz
TBP is in a really strange position. It seems that the raid was somewhat concerning. Since the raid was done with a warrent, why did the police cover the security cameras? Why did the police take every server from TBP's webhost? Why was the raid allowed to be done, but refuse to let one of TBPs operators to have a public defender?

A list of other things can be found here.
deroga
Fredrik Neij seems to be quite confident of the survival of the Pirate Bay: http://piratbyran-in-eng.blogspot.com/2006/06/speech-by-fredrik-neij-pirate-bay-here.html
sibbahz
The raid n the pirate bay was just so illegal.
Removing other clients servers? Some of which were most likely owned by the clients not just rented.
Also if its so obvious the pirate bay isnt breaking any laws, then why would the police dig a hole for themselves? Im sure they are going to have to pay some compensation to the webhost, other clients and maybe even the pirate bay for this.
statusfashions
pirate bay is here to survive..
also other sites similar to it.
its pirate bay who should sue the police now once they have recieved a clean chit.
i have seen the site and think that it is one of the cleanest of its compitetors
mceejaydee
I go to piratebay sometimes to download movies, but now it seems more wrong then ever. If you go to their site right now it shows the Hollywood sign being shot down by cannonballs. Think this means anything?
Aredon
sibbahz wrote:
The raid n the pirate bay was just so illegal.
Removing other clients servers? Some of which were most likely owned by the clients not just rented.
Also if its so obvious the pirate bay isnt breaking any laws, then why would the police dig a hole for themselves? Im sure they are going to have to pay some compensation to the webhost, other clients and maybe even the pirate bay for this.
The answer is simple, the US pressured the swedish government to do something. So they did, they legally entered and investigated, and determined nothing was wrong. What's sad is half the reason they're being targeted by anti-piracy crackdowns is their name choice... not so much their activities.
raaeft1
I checked just now.The Pirate Bay is working normally.
Aredon
raaeft1 wrote:
Yeah it shouldn't have taken them long to set their servers back up. It's not like they had any data loss, they were just offline for a short bit. I still almost never use them though.
Hogwarts
raaeft1 wrote:

Why yes, that is indeed surprising. Especially considering the original post is from four years ago.
jabce85
hahahaha..... 4 year old post.. and someone thought it was recent.. OOOOPPPSSS
Aredon
Hogwarts wrote:
raaeft1 wrote:

Why yes, that is indeed surprising. Especially considering the original post is from four years ago.
oh wow Embarassed I totaly thought this was recent!