FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how did you learn about html, php or other languages???

Tabo
i teach myself everything i know about html, php and java scripts.
i look at the codes on other sites, and see what they do. i then write my oun and see if it works, if it dont i then look at the two an see the differance. i dont use these codes on my site, i just use them to teach me.

3 months ago i didnt even know what <body></body> was, but now i can code my own forum.

xorcist
I learned it from reading books and looking through t he internet when I needed help. I basically just looked up the code when I needed it and I learned it one at a time.
ocalhoun
I just check a book out of the library and read it cover to cover. I learned java that way.
DopeyCriz
Natural born Very Happy

Well, not really lol.

From a website Razz

Take care.

DopeyCriz
brevity
I did the same as most of you. I just learned by reading books and using the internet... I copied scripts to see how they worked, and changed things to suit my needs, noting what each function did. HTML is the weirdest because it doesn't exactly tell you what it's doing.
mialynavahy
me too, I did the same. I learned HTML myself by books or internet...
For php, it's a little bit different, a friend taught me, it's difficult if you do it alone. and i learned jsp at school, programming courses
Schmarvin
Well, I learned alot from surfing the web. I needed to learn how to code some things, next I know, I'm pushing myself to the limit, trying to understand PHP, Javascript, CSS, MySQL, and C++. I don't know what'll become of it. I haven't mastered any of the languages, but I'm still trying.

I hope to learn alot more computer programming languages. I've gotten this far on my own, I'm hoping to get alot farther.
Christina17
I learn it from various tutorials i foundet in the internet.
My friends were having their own pages, so they teached me too Very Happy
Insanity
HTML is easy enough to learn on your own from tutorials, but the other languages like PHP and ASP are harder to learn on your own.
DominickC
I took courses in school, but we weren't really taught everything- to complete projects, it was important to look up scripts and such yourself.
meet in rio
I've come to know HTML gradually over the last 8 years or so. I began on Expage, found the odd marquee or font colour code to jazz my kiddy pages up a bit and then just looked them up one at a time from then on. I also played a few geeky play-by-post rpgs which helped me understand tables/divs/etc. and whenever I saw something interesting then I'd 'View Source' and take a look. I didn't really learn in an organised fashion - it was more trial and error: silly things like realising that I could condense 'font size=1' and font color=red' into 'font size=1 color=red'.

It was basically a process of letting go of Page Builders.
JokeBoutMaple
I am still learning html/xhtml first before moving on to php then other languages. On the way, I will take down some notes and memorise them by heart so that in future, i would have much knowledge of them and can move on to C++ and C#. In this way, It would not confuse me as I can manage the things I do. If you learn all at the same time, you are a goner for you have confused yourself! Reading other scripts before scripting your own, I haven't tried before. Visit www.w3schools.com might help you in some langauges. Before learning a new langauge, learn the basics. For example, before learning php, you need a basic knowledge of html and xhtml...
JokeBoutMaple
meet in rio, whats ur meaning of;

Quote:
played a few geeky play-by-post rpgs which helped me understand tables/divs/etc. and whenever I saw something interesting then I'd 'View Source' and take a look. I didn't really learn in an organised fashion

Espescially "organised fashion" and "Played(...)-to-(tables/divs/etc.) Please explain...Thank you!
kronso.23
First time I learned java I took an online course, which didn't help at all, but the book that was provided was indeed alot of help, Introduction to programming, with java. Before that I knew little HTML, now that I have learned Java and Perl which I consider to be pretty easy to learn languages, I can understand more complex things. Usually I download e-books if I really want to learn something, but now that I'm in a tech school it's much easier for me to learn that way, but I walked in there with alot of skill under my belt... the more you learn the easier it gets to learn, basically...
butterflyfields
Seriously I'm still on the verge of learning. Im anly 15 and well trying to do my own website. Im doing it with dreamweaver which has helped alot cause I don;t have to understand much of html, but in case I ever need to lean something I go to websites. I never really thought of getting books cause they don;t interest me. I also have used page builders, but really, I think they are more complicated than html. Hopefully this site can help me do my website. I seriously can;t understand anything, but I guess I will have to do alot of reaserch and memorizing.
asDdsA2
Ha.. i've learned C, VB, php, java... and still learning.. all with only read manuals in the internet...
b4r4t
Im learning all by my own ... building sites Smile
When i need some solutions I'm looking for them in internet...
First steps bout 3 years ago... <frameset ->LOL Very Happy
Then table based layouts
Now CSS+XHTML Smile 2-3 months ago I've learnet how to use float and clear with div's to make layouts (before that - position: absolute; bleah:? )
I'm planning PHP on this vacations - but for that i have Big (880pages) book with CD Very Happy
Hope I'll learn it and be able to write my own CMS ... Then maybe a website with web-design offers and I'll start to earn $$? dreamer? Smile
mwilson82
Self taught: I started when I was 13 building websites but it was very basic HTML. I stuck with HTML since that was all I was comfortable with and know most of it from back to front. Until recently I never did anything else other than mild editing of pre-existing PHP coding, which isn't saying much and I'm in the process of teaching myself to sit down and do it all myself.
Jaiye
mwilson82 wrote:
Self taught: I started when I was 13 building websites but it was very basic HTML. I stuck with HTML since that was all I was comfortable with and know most of it from back to front. Until recently I never did anything else other than mild editing of pre-existing PHP coding, which isn't saying much and I'm in the process of teaching myself to sit down and do it all myself.

pretty much the same for myself also. actually way back in the day me and a friend used to sit around with paper, pencils, and an html book. Coding on paper was an amazing skill to learn at such a young age, and now (i'm 20) any type of coding, be it html, php, or c++ comes very naturally to me because I can visualize the code as if on paper and then carry it over to the computer. Except for c++ (JC class), I've taught myself everything.
briancoit
Self taught like most others Smile

Used Basic back in the days of DOS, before the days of Windows. Learned that at a young age. Picked up a few languages through my years at school, so learning new languages wasnt difficult- I feel its the concept of programming languages that throw people more than anything else, once you learn one, it's not hard to learn others. Website-wise, I started off small, designing very basic websites. Realised you could use tables, and the designs got better. Discovered CSS and they got better again, and more efficient. Picked up using photoshop as time went on. Had to use php in certain projects, so learned from other peoples code. Started using content management systems, and over the years have learned SQL as a result. Learned VB at uni - otherwise i'd probably never have gone near it.

Things like dreamweaver help so much when learning, and still do. New website designers really have got it good with the latest versions of dreamweaver and frontpage, last time I used dreamweaver, it covered everything I was doing. Definetly worth having if you're learning HTML etc, or just need help with it.
dimis
I took some seminars about oracle, VB6 Java with reading a lot of books (some free from web!!) and looking at internet for help, at old prectrum's time I used to write basic programms.
menhao
hey,man, html is very helpful for your future life and work, especially for your carrer life, yet I have to say that php is a great language, on contrast to asp, I would like php more, cause its more safely and easily to use and run on computer and workstation.
tlambert
I learned most of html by myself. At college I had a crash course (graduate level) in Java (applets), followed by some extra courses about html, asp and visual basic (for asp-purposes). Last summer holidays, I teached myself php and mysql based on a book and the php.net documentation. Macromedia Dreamweaver was a great help, and it continues to be a great help.
jennahenrywagner
I've taken alot of classes in college that are web related, but all of them really just skim the subjects of different code. If you want to really learn, you have to teach yourself. I guess college courses like the ones I've taken provide a good background for it, and have really sparked my interest, but in order to learn alot you have to just go out and buy yourself a book or two and go from there. The most important part of it is just testing it out and learning from experience also.
XLax
I learnt everything I know either on my own during elementary and high school. Unfortunately, I've never hosted an actual website of my own that was important so my skills have really really be doing nothing but deteriorating. Oh well.
zjosie729
I've got a pretty neat story to how I learned HTML and stuff and started to like web design.

First, in Neopets, I wanted to edit my shops and userlookup etc, and I needed to use HTML, so I learned them from the 13 pages that they had. Then my friend showed me her website, so I made one too, except I didn't know enough HTML to make a complete website, so I went to Google to search for more. On site, I often looked at their code and learned from it, but most of which I didn't get. Then I found the tutorial at webdesign.about.com, but by then I've learned a lot of HTML and much of CSS. It still helped though. I was also beginning to learn Javascript, which totally confused me.
Then I wanted to put a search engine in my website, but I didnt' want to use the ones that other people made, so I started learning Perl, and now I still only know the most basics of Perl.

Now I've decided that Perl is too hard. I'm not a programming type of person, and that I'll just use the thousands of open source scripts available on the internet.
meet in rio
JokeBoutMaple wrote:
meet in rio, whats ur meaning of;

Quote:
played a few geeky play-by-post rpgs which helped me understand tables/divs/etc. and whenever I saw something interesting then I'd 'View Source' and take a look. I didn't really learn in an organised fashion

Espescially "organised fashion" and "Played(...)-to-(tables/divs/etc.) Please explain...Thank you!

In an organised fashion = methodically.

The other thing was me explaining how I played a few role-playing games (look it up in Wikipedia and find a reference to 'play by post' or 'pbp'; it's not complicated but it would take far too long to explain what I mean) and that these involved knowledge of "tables/divs/etc."
snowboardude
i learned from books, analysing other people's code, and asking friends who already know all this.
vahsi000
Just like every body else, I too taught myself HTML (although i learned the basics at school). After learning html, learning to implement javascript and Dhtml became a must in order to spice up the appearance of the website. Later on I learned basic PHP by myself, I took it far enough to make my own shout-box with the use of a Flat-File database. More recently i've been learning and studying css due to the large demand of compatability by users.
hyhy
I just opened google.com, wrote "html tutorial" or "html tags" and watched on it while i was writing pages. After some time i learned all tags.

Same with php, but i programmed before in pascal. Almost everything i learned from internet (if we speaking about programming or web designing Razz)
asforoneday
I just played around until I figured out what was what- I think that's the best way, even above tutorials.
Rustyk1
I've just started learning html, mysql and php. To get myself started I've found a good tutorial website and been looking through those. I'm also going to have a look though the tutorials on this website and maybe I should also think about getting a book on the subjects.
smartwood
I studied a little from web and I am now quite interested in the AJAX pattern. Are there anybody also intested in this pattern?
smartwood
Ajax, shorthand for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, is a Web development technique for creating interactive web applications. The intent is to make web pages feel more responsive by exchanging small amounts of data with the server behind the scenes, so that the entire web page does not have to be reloaded each time the user makes a change. This is meant to increase the web page's interactivity, speed, and usability.

The Ajax technique uses a combination of:

XHTML (or HTML), CSS, for marking up and styling information.
The DOM accessed with a client-side scripting language, especially ECMAScript implementations such as JavaScript and JScript, to dynamically display and interact with the information presented.
The XMLHttpRequest object to exchange data asynchronously with the web server. In some Ajax frameworks and in certain situations, an IFrame object is used instead of the XMLHttpRequest object to exchange data with the web server.
XML is sometimes used as the format for transferring data between the server and client, although any format will work, including preformatted HTML, plain text, JSON and even EBML.

And you can learn more in the link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX
JimJamDragoonr
I learned html by myself, but I was taught Java in an AP Computer Science class. I was also taught C#, C++, and Qbasic (lol)
mtoni
I learned it all from the web..
i learned it mostly by copying codes from other websitesm and then i recoded it to fit my tastes
gaus4all
I learnd my first Steps on selfhtml.org.
It's a very good Site, but in German...
dark_lard
I learned everything I know about it myself. I started coding web pages for fun back in the early '90's when I was a preteen. I got my first Job as an html updator when I was 13. The only thing I used was notepad. and I got paid 10 dollars an HOUR! that was a lot of money at 13. I then went into frontpage stuff after it came out since it saved tons of time. I don't work in the web industry now though.
earthset
Mostly from the internet ......

Whenever there is a new programming language .. or new thing about a programming language.

I just search "introduction to XXXXX"

Fast and Easy ......... learn something within hours
lachlankrammer
well i just saw a mate making a web site and was like wow i bet i can do that better so i read an html and an xhtml book and started...
imera
I have allways been interested in computers, designing and other stuff like that.
I did not care for codes before my moms new husband introduced me to it. But he just showed it to me so if I wanted to learn more I had to learn for my self, he did not know that much about it either.
I spend a litle while on the internet and reading about the codes before I understood them. Now I use them whenever I am going to make any pages for any of my friends.
mavahntooth
we have some subject back in college called innet 1. I have a background there in html so I continue to read in the internet.
vexation
I learned HTML about two years ago from looking at codes on sites and a very crucial book called HTML for Dummies...
Filokaz
I started learning HTML with simple Books, and then in school.
Nowadays i simply use selfhtml.org to find my solutions.
meet in rio
Last week, I used [url=http://www.ludusequinus.com/phptutorial/][url=http://www.ludusequinus.com/phptutorial/]http://www.ludusequinus.com/phptutorial/[/url][/url] to introduce myself to PHP.

It is brilliantly and humourously written, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
m00tmuffin
Trial and error, some tutorials...a few books. But mostly just messing around with code as it was and learning bits and pieces from that is what helped me out the most, I think. Being able to see what works and what doesn't work, and how changing this or that can make it look entirely differently helps a ton.
Becky
I mostly learnt from trying..failing...trying...failing again...trying...then hopefully succeeding. I find that this is the best way to learn things, also it makes you feel good afterwards, knowing that you were able to figure something out by yourself. But, of course i have learnt a few things from tutorials...and from what other people have told me Very Happy
Mysterious Euphony
My interest in web design didn't start until I actually acquired a Freewebs account back in November of last year. I just created a site called "The Freelancer's World", updated it once a week, and left it shortly afterwards. The look of people's layouts was really what pulled my interests out into the open - I wanted to be able to do what they did.

I only recently started to learn about PHP. Before that, I thought HTML was the best thing in the world besides sleep, the Internet and fantasy novels. I'm still an avid user of HTML these days, though - the furthest I've gone with PHP so far is PHP & dynamic includes and multiple site skins. I hope to learn more, though. Smile
cvkien
I learn HTML through explore other website. At 1st i write my own website. then i post it into some free hosting. Then i compare with other website and i search for some website rating that giving award to some good website and i get example from it. Then i search some code from google. The most important is never stop try to build your own script. If there is some error, find it and fix it. Make the error as the lesson. i use 1 years to learn graphic design and website design. and i get prizes for website design competition. Even i get prizes but i never sastify with my work and i always try to think more widely to "upgrade" myself. I always want to be better so the only thing i can do is Learn It Myself. Because sometime humans are selfish, they won't teach us everything they know because they also want to be the best.
CreepingD
school Smile
foodman
well my lil brother taught me basic html. i then looked it up on the net and i learned it all. for css which im still working on i used a book and my bro for help. im kinda haveing fun with all the designing parts, usually i dont like chalenges. so yeah
thom
haha i learnt it from ma friend he and i maked our first website i dont know on wich site he found the information but he found on the internet
but im learning now how to make flash websites. and type in google for more information about it
nodarn
I learned languages from a mixture of different things. For instance I learned html and javascript from playing around with notepad and trying out different code and trying to understand how different code worked. While I have been learning other types of code either in a school environment or at home trying to work with different editors. I learned scheme and java at a university, while learning C++ i learned at home accidently while trying to learn C, so because of learning C++ I can now program in many different languages for many different needs of customers. I believe the best way to learn is to put forth your entire body and go head first!
Josso
I learnt Basic programming language from tutorials mostly then you can improvise you improve yourself. I learnt a bit of HTML incase I need to do minor editing just by trying it and I understand it but I don't code in it as such.
kwolee89
I learn on my own through reading those big thick books on those subjects. I also take programming classes. When I was new to a programming language called Visual Basic, it was very new to me. There are different strategies to learning.

I learn with other people teaching me when I get stuck on something. I use a lot of trial and error. Sometimes, you should get help on stuff so you can move on faster through the material rather than just being stuck on that one thing that does not really require too much skill or it is too hard in level for you to do. Compare to being stuck in the dark and having someone to guide you.
Jakob [JaWGames]
I borrowed some HTML and Java books from our library and then sat down reading and experimented at the computer. It did not take very long time to learn.
Karuk
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

That's a good starter. Aside from that, talk to people and ask friends for help. I'm in the process of learning html, then I plan to do CSS and then C programming language. Eventually I'll move up to C++. All self taught of course.
ncordell
i think books usually teach you more than you need to know. if you're just going for functional knowledge, then just learn as you go along. find a template online and go from there. google specific things that you want to learn, like cookies in php and stuff like that. when i'm first learning something, i test it constantly to make sure it works. there's nothing worse than coding for 30 minutes and then trying the page to find out that nothing works and you have no idea what part is broken.
curnow
the only way i find possible to learn languages is to play with them, and read other peoples codes find patterns ect. i cant learn something like that from a book.
mstreet
I took a multimedia diploma at Alberta College in Edmonton Alberta, it gave me a flavour for many different this from web to animation. The course is now running at NAIT.
st_jimi
i download a guid that teached me basic html but also there is good sites like
www.lissaexplains.com that helped but mainly just opening dreamweaver and playing around withit and seeing how things work
vesves
well i learn all my basic coding from www.w3school.com and there provide examples and guides...friendly forum support,,,im one of them :p...after two month i was able to do html,flash,css,abit java abit php...php and java i hav no time to study cause i got school time :p...well i just recoment who really want to learn,its easy just only one thing,,,spend ur time on it...i really like to do scripting ,but too bad im a student and couldnt afford hosting fee,,tats the reason im here ^^

lastly,i got failup with outside all the free hosting,,,because they cant last long...3month or 6month then bankrup...all my files and my blood which drooping one by one to upload and manage...all gone...i wish this could last longer...(my opinion)
Ryansindustries
I learned from www.habbohotel.co.uk a virtual chat site almost like the sims. I began 'scripting' on that site which is editing the packets to change the outcomes and from there I started VB and C++. I am a good C++ programmer although I know nothing about PHP and I started HTML june 30th.
OneBadOmen
When I was about 11 I started learning basic html and made my own crappy little website. Then I didn't make a website for about 4-5 years, forgot everything, and I just recently started learning again. I've never learned from books, I've always used websites. Since I've recently started learning how to code again I found it much easier to learn html the second time.

So far I know html/xhtml, css, javascript, xml/xslt (all at which I'm mediocre at) and plan on learning php very soon.
sonam
I am find everything on internet and then I start to practice, practice, practice... Very Happy

Sonam
Ratman2050
I bought PHP and MySQL for dummies.
Blaster
For html i got a templete had a friend upload it to my site then started messing around with it and that taught me.

For things like installing mods for forums its simple... i taught myself how to do it.

I teach myself everything. I like it better that way. I have some people help me out though.
ne2 Luka
I learned it "on the road" so to speak. I wanted to make a website so I downloaded some guides on html, later php, etc... You read for the theory and make sites for practice and experience.
tehk
I started out using Geocities and learned the basic html fundimentals from that site as well as html learning websites (eg. htmlgoodies.com). Then I moved onto CSS and learned that from several websites as well.

At the moment, I'm trying to tackle PHP and MySQL. I've purchased a book and I'm TRYING to learn from websites but its a far more complicated language then HTML.. I'm glad I know the basics of PHP and MySQL though, so I guess that's a good thing lol.
kiawa77
I first learned HTML when I was 19 and working for an insurance company. I was hired to be a mainframe programmer, but I ended up doing typical hardware support work. Changing ink in printers wasn't remarkably time-consuming, so I spent a lot of my time just looking at web page code and figuring out what it meant. I was so excited the day I mastered TABLES. Fun fun. The boss didn't care because it looked better for the "IT department" (all four of us) if I was learning HTML rather than playing Jezzball or Solitaire... on Windows3.1 (to which we'd just upgraded).

Oh, those were the days.... Since then, I've pretty much learned everything by scouring the net for what I want or just trial and error. My current job in hardware/software support affords me a little work with HTML, PHP, etc, but I'm nowhere near "knowledgeable" about advanced stuff. Just straight HTML with some scripts here and there. I fake it well though... close enough for rock n' roll!!!!
scorpiova
I have been learning everything myself as well. I am a teacher and learned how to do most of it at work, where i worked on the school's webpage. Now i'm working on creating a webpage about some of my interests, such as video games. I'm looking forward to creating an interesting site
SmartIcon
While trying to make my first webpage I was known nothing about HTML. Then I saw source codes of some webpages then try to learn and succided. After that I learn it in the class and from book.
konflikt
Just Google whatever I need to know. It works 97% of the time. And everything I need is usually on the first page. Just print out the first couple of results and read it on my off-time.
c'tair
Well, i started learning HTML without any internet access, only with the web pages supplied to me through various magazines. Didnt use ANY tutorial, learnt everything through the trial and error method. Works fine, now I learned photoshop mostly through my own curiosity and a bit help from google.com. Yeah, now its really easy to learn anything, just google it and BAM! You got it, from building underground bunkers to DIY radio's.
For photoshop I use my creativity and try alot of things before i get the specific, best looking version of some pic or project. Then i already know how to do it and well, that just like self-learning i guess.
belaneus
PHP works on linux flatform...ASP on windows flatform... which is a good language for a website? preferred....
dylanm
I learned everything I know from the internet (http://www.w3schools.com) and books.
I know VB, html, a little bit of CSS and I am now learning C++ & PHP.
But when there is something I don't know, I just go to Google or MSDN and search for it...
dylanm
Well, I prefer ASP.
But that is because I already know VB.
I guess that if you only know VB and HTML, you are going to prefer ASP VB.
If you know C++ or C, you're going to like PHP better...
Game Fortress
I am self taught in html, and a little bit of php. They are pretty low impact for someone with no formal setting to study in, wich is a nice thing about them. I dont think anybody "knows" any language with exacting perscision though. Its more a question of wether or not you can get the languages to perform when and in the ways that you want them to.
picklebreath
I taught html myself and I am learning javescript and php now so I will be
ready for it.
atoerzan
I've read the earlier post with interest. Would anyone say that doing a college course in HTML or Java etc is a rip-off? I started to try and teach myself html but does anyone have any sure-fire tips on how to remember codes or is it simply a case of learning by wrote and using it on a regular basis?
Rad Ultima 2
I only know bits and pieces of coding. For HTML, I just used a program (FrontPage and Dreamweaver) to do all the work for me, then I studied the code. I still can't make out a lot of it, but can understand the basics.

I also tried to learn C++ on my own. Unfortunately though, I was dedicated enough to go through all the pages of this book I bought on eBay... Hope my college courses will help build my motivation in this stuff again.
rhathar
I'm completely self taught, from HTML and CSS to PHP. It's all trial and error Smile
spartan_kings
I tried going to W3Schools website at first but later opted to read a book.I have just borrowed the book from the library and am still reading it.

I'm just going to take things one at a time->first HTML then maybe CSS then maybe Javascript.

Any good HTML editiors to recommend?
spartan_kings
Somemore, I coame across a great site which deals with HTML and CSS.
The site is quite famous actually->A List Apart .com..Cool stuff Razz
yaashop
mostly i learn html from the book i bought from the book store and a computer megazine always give me a good tips about it. try practice it by making some easy website then add some more features that u learn from magazine later.
danevans
I knew some HTML from learning how to make websites when I first got the internet (back in '96-'97!) but I only started learning PHP, CSS, JavaScript etc. about 18 months ago, when I got a job for a local web development company. I was basically thrown in at the deep end having to modify osCommerce and help develop bespoke Content Management Systems etc. I probably learn more in a year at that job than I could have done in three years of university or college.

Having said that, I'm sure learning PHP was made much easier by the fact that I'd taught myself C++ during an earlier period of unemployment - the reason being that I wanted to create VST audio effect plugins for Cubase, which I managed with some success...

Teaching yourself things is the best way to go, but it can be difficult keeping motivated...
infernic
I Learned Html from a computer magazine when I was 12 years old, now i'm learning php! Very Happy
roberpro
I found in google and i downloaded tutorials and i tried and tried ... you know , until you get the things you want step by step and you think "Oh, im doing a website" Very Happy
2m4a
when i want to know some thing about eny thing im going to open yaho search or google search

and type words about i need then i found all i need and more than it

then

i try code which i search about it if it going well am using it in my site if not try to found other untill i found the correct code and know the error of first code and so on

and now i can edit scribt php xml ...etc
freeedy
I learned the hard way, try and error. Any way there are still a lot of things that I dont know about this topic.
paulbarter
a great site to start with is "www.w3schools.com". There are a lot of tutorials out there, but a lot of them asume a certain level. This site starts from the beginning and has good examples all the way. So whatever level you are at you can get along fine. Give it a go! Laughing
ankur.vatsa
The best way to learn html is what you have followed. Though that requires sorting out sites that you feel are worth reading for HTML code.

The faster way though is to use MS Front-Page and design your page, read through the code generated. I remember creating Perl-CGI web-site for which I designed all html pages statically and then tweaked in the perl codes.

Javascript, lots of tutorials are available - so I googled and found a few good ones.

PHP I do not know and still don't have the time to get something working with it, soon.
raymonbunt
I have about 2 friends who know PHP very well. HTML i know really good. and those friends are writing there own php curcusses.: From Noob to good With PHP. and my other friend writes: From Good To really good experth with PHP
SurBiff
i know a little of each HTML, CSS, and Python.

all the three have in common that i've learned them on my spare time, i doesnt work with computers, i didnt study computers or anythiiiiiiiiiiiiiilke that in school.
I just read web-howtos, all the way.
D.Nikolov
Thanks to different tutorial sites I managed to get the basics of Photoshop, HTML & CSS two years ago. Now I have advanced quite much Smile
spider
I went to codewalkers.com and learned more about php, and typed in php tutorials on yahoo.com... been doing it for 5 years now..
lukeropro
I started learning computer languages last year when my computer teacher taught us HTML. Since then I've looked for tutorials on HTML, PHP, CSS and learnt them myself. I'm still not that good though.
JoseRizal
just now learning html and css in school.
hopefully next quarter i can take javascript, php (or asp) and macromedia studio classes.
jeromep
I have been a software engineer for more than 2 years as of the date of this post. My expertise has always been web applications development in Java. Obviously, I learned Java through my work and through continuous education. So let me skip this part. For if I tell you the details, this post wouldv'e looked like an answer to a job interview. It wouldv'e been boring. Smile

So I'll talk about PHP -- something that is not found in my resume but interesting.

I first heard about PHP through other people - net, back in school, and people at work. At the start, I educated myself in PHP but only touching the surface of it.. because I already fixed my eyes with the world of Java -- I'm biased Wink. PHP to me was just another programming language. "LAMP" was not new to me either.

Some time in my life Wink , I decided to earn money on the side by putting up a website. So I immediately drew my concept of the website and started building it using JSP/AJAX (*Tips hat to Google Web Toolkit, very nice..*).

However during that time, a problem came up - the hosting of my site. Since this was my first time building a website, I still had to research on web hosting. Unhappily, I found out that I had to host my website in either a dedicated server or a virtual private server. Those type of hostings are simply expensive relative to my goal -- build a simple website that might earn a little money.

Sadly, I was left out of options and I had to let go of my goal. Razz

But.. I learned all about hosting as I was researching for a host at that time. One of the things that I noticed is that, most of the webhosts support PHP/MySQL. (That's how I came across FriHost by the way). The webhosts either provide service for free or a cheap price. Some will force banners, some will not, and a lot more variation of features among them.

I decided to go for such web hosts. Thus, I gave PHP a shot and successfully completed a simple website. Smile

To cut the story short, I learned PHP through building a website.
bulek
I went to a library and lent some books about programming languages. There were a lot of materials about that.
Star Wars Fanatic
I learned some from my father, a lot from W3Schools, a great site, also from looking at other websites' source code, that has helped me a bunch. I am also taking a Java class at my local community college, and I plan on taking more classes there. I also plan on learning C#, but that is in the future.
arkebuzer
I went some HTML and PHP courses in school. I think its quite fun, but to become really good I think you need both a lot of motivation and tallent.
I have some friends who are really good at programming (PHP, HTML as well as C++ and so on), and make a lot of cash on it, and they have all lernt themselves programming on their spare time.
sonalobramo
Basically learned over the internet. Our company gives us access to online courses but you can also learn a lot from online tutorials also. Just do google searches like "php + tutorials".
Upside to tutorials is you don't have to pay. Downside is you won't know if the tutorials is any good until you have finished it. Also you don't get feedback from anybody and it's hard to find tutorials with enough information that would help you in real life client situations. They just basically teach you the code. You need to do some serious digging in forums to get the help that you need.
fearlabfoundation
I got interested in people changing their Myspace page into different designs and locations and I started to look at their Page Source. The more you look at the more you see that they are alike and have the basic codes.
bonestorm74
Self taught pretty much but I guess I used a variety of sources to help. I used a template in Dreamweaver and then started messing around with the code to see what various changes achieved.

Whenever there was something I didn't understand I googled it or used the help files and I could eventually figure it out.

Sometimes I messed things up and couldn't quite figure out how to get it back the way it was. :p That's the way you learn though I suppose and if you put in enough work you eventually get somewhere.
Afaceinthematrix
I basically taught myself html/php and such. I learned HTML from viewing th esourse of websites and studying that and I learned php from a book that I bought. mos tphp books aren't that good though. Sad
androjuni
i learned HTML because i had the strong desire to know what in the world was all that text in the Blogger's template option and what was it doing to my blog! and from that desire i decided to take up Computer science in college and formaly learn what HTML and other web based programming languages are. i realized i was missing out a lot when i was trying to learn it all on my own. formal education on these is realy advisable. but again, it starts with the desire. i learned PHP from an older friend who asked me to maintain a website for him. i did stuff like moderating the forums which included maintaining the database of passwords and profiles and stuff like updating the main articles that was featured in that site. this is how i got introduced to PHP.
em0o
i taught myself html by looking at a page's source and following by example and also integrating the specific things that I need. With C, I learned that in a class, it is more complicated when you get to the loops. that's all i know, i'm kinda familiar with php but i don't know enough.
venkateshwarans
They taught html for me at school. I enhanced it with some books from college library. e-books are available online. I like doing view->page source for simple websites to find more codes. With softwares like dreamweaver around, you can leave html and study scripting languages.
welshsteve
xorcist wrote:
I learned it from reading books and looking through t he internet when I needed help. I basically just looked up the code when I needed it and I learned it one at a time.

This is exactly how I learned. And the best way of learning in my opinion. I use the SAMS Teach Yourself books as reference material, along with sites such as www.w3schools.com and www.alistapart.com
seagullspirit
In my case the whole web design experience started with a university course which was so poorly prepared that I had to learn on my own so a few web tutorials on html and php followed then mysql and now its just a hobby whenever I ahve some time I pour it into making some site or changing my 24/7 under construction website .
venkateshwarans
www.hotscripts.com is a good resource for scripts and books too.
c9crystal
Surprised
studsstudio
I learn by trial and error. and only when I need something I start looking which possiblities there are to fullfill my needs for html and php. I learned it all by reading tutorials on internet and by using freeware html-editors you learn how you can use the tags. but I've build my site from scratch, that way i've learned a lot.
illegalhost
Yeah, same here. actually more on your own, really. You have to purchase Dreamweaver and just get started on your own. In my time, there were geocities, and all sorts of free web hosts but with subdomain only, so its a great time to check out how and what you can do with your dreamweaver. It was really fun, you get to trial and error and make mistakes after another. But you do learn aLOT on your way to getting there. It's more like problem solving after a while. This hones your skill in web designing. Same goes for graphics designs. But some ppl can do graphics with a Professional touch - too bad i'm not one of them, i think. haha. But its great - you just go and download (some are freeware @ tucows) - and you just Do it. Hope this helps.
cybernie
i learned HTML by merely looking at net tutorials. I started making webpages 3 years ago. I am now studying PHP and JSP. I am now into photoshop and on the basics of flash!
sangook
i just find some books and videos on the internet and try to learn it on my own.
jayrelle
I learned html, java and other computer languages in school because I took up bs comsci.. But some scripting languages, like javascript and php and jsp, i learned it though books and ebooks..hehehe Twisted Evil
biljap
Ive learned programming at the university so I dont find it difficult to learn some other language by myself. I always use Internet to find some free pdf books or some free tutorials and once when I start using the language, I can see where it might be a problem and then I search for some tutorial with more specific topic or even some examples. I also found a lot of useful examples on different forums and that gave me the idea of what I have to search for.
creezalird
I bought many books which the title always ended with ".... for dummies"..haha..they are really easy to understand but sometimes I feel that the author storytelling too much..haha..the main point is sometimes neglected and not elaborated in details
jenice
I went through some online tutorials. There's a couple specific sites that I used quite a bit in the beginning to lead me through the basics a step at a time.

For the rest, I learn it as I go. When I need something, I go through a tutorial. I learn from what other people do with their sites. I use templates and other software to teach me new methods and then incorporate it into my own coding.

I really learn best by example, though I will more often than not just learn something as I need it. Read a tutorial and see a few working examples to help me get a clear picture.
dac_nip
I downloaded ebooks and then joined an organization that develops software. I used this as a motivation to help me study php and database, SQL, MYSQL..and stuff. I also downloaded video tutorials and develop a website for myself. I tried to give some seminars regarding web development which helped me a lot to master the subject..Im trying to learn ruby on rails at this moment. Very Happy
Guelila
Tabo wrote:
i look at the codes on other sites, and see what they do. i then write my oun and see if it works, if it dont i then look at the two an see the differance. i dont use these codes on my site, i just use them to teach me.

3 months ago i didnt even know what <body></body> was, but now i can code my own forum.

Yea, I think the best way is to just mess around with the codes you see in other sites and test them out on your own page.
Thats how I learned most of my scripting knowledge.
Afaceinthematrix
I learn from two main ways. I bought a book on php/mysql, and I also d/l scripts from the internet and study them, and then try to write my own.
Possum
Hi

When I wanted to learn a language for example php.... I google "php tutorial"

Sometimes the hardest part is picking the right language to use...

Cheers Possum.....
Obake
As with a lot of people here, I started out learning HTML from a tutorial site and went from there; I picked up CSS along the way. I probably had an advantage from the outset, though, because I'd already spent two years learning SQL and VirtualBasic through classes in school, so I understood the basic syntax and logic of the language already.

Because I've been a haphazard learner since then, though--only picking things up as I need to use them--I'm hardly proficient enough to really call myself a web designer or claim to know things like PHP or Java. I only know as much as I've had to use: so far that suits me fine.
isyan
a combination of those things that you guys just said.. Smile

mostly by self study.. then if i cant solve something.. i go to mr. google... still if it soesn't yield a positive result.. i ask my instructors and friends... but you will never find a solution if you don't persevere in finding one..

perseverance is the key.. i think.. Smile

jah blez!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Urban
I highly suggest you http://www.newbiesparadise.com/index.html. For the moment the website is a bit empty because it's new but the other version of this website in french is awesome. If you speak french then it's http://www.siteduzero.com/, they have a TONS of tutorials about everything.. Programmation, Design, Mapping. The english version should have more tutorial soon I think.

Btw maybe you just don't have a good way to teach to yourself. Try closing msn, music or anything that could disturb you. Give you a time each day to learn it and I'm sure that you will learn it in less than one week. Good luck!

Jp.
Idoru
Found a couple of guides on the net, combined with home-studies and forums. Then
I took a long break and had to re-learn most of it. Not really a developer, but I get around
with knowledge just enough for personal needs. Concentrate mostlly on the content,
and not the presentation. Even if I personally have to be satisfied with the latter aswell. Laughing
xonage
sick, it only took you 3 months to learn that?

my respect for it!

i teached it myself too, but i'm not really able to code a forum. only a little cms but without much features
agustin
A friend of mine teach me how to use it. And now Im learning for my self just reading informatil books and stuff.
niggaz972
From school! but mainly, you have to read books!
At school they just teach you how to learn by yourself!
So now, when i want to know a new language, i just buy a new book on the subject, or o on some tutorials on internet!
netgalorecafe
I just learned it by just browsing some sample sites and studying the codes itself.

i actually still in process of learning those codes like php codes. Right now I have my simple site made of my curiousity. It would be a great and big thanks if there would be somebody to teach me about it. Because until now it's a big question mark on me.
FunHouse
goog;e com is the best teacher in it solutions
Tinevdh
i learned html in school..
i'm currently studying Interactive multimedia design and in the beginning we received a huge book full with htmlstuff.. after that we got to work with dreamweaver, which we are still doing Smile
georgekalathil
I just learned through the net.........
ronaldallan.mojica
hahahaha.....
ronaldallan.mojica
Download Lynda tutorial
bulek
I've also learned languages myself, so far HTML and PHP. HTML was not so big problem, but on the other side, PHP was really a hard one.
Liques
Just reading online tutorials and books. I never had someone to teach me anything about that.
ftv_flung
I started when I was interested in having my own webpage - on a website called MatMice - it was a real kiddie and basic website thing. You type in little boxes where you can enter HTML and it appears as you scroll down the page. I think it's even still there!

I started that when I was about 11? I'm now 16, and have 3 (well 2 and one coming soon) proper websites.

I like "borrowing" scripts and then changing or even merging scripts to make them suit what I want. I get them from JavascriptKit.

I picked up HTML by looking at website's source codes on the internet and I used MySpace to try things out too - that was fun.

So I only really know HTML.... I wanna learn PHP - Blakesage is building me some for my website... so a heads up to him! Wink

I also had a few other websites when I was 13.. I've used GeoCities until I discovered Google Pages a few years ago - no adverts - yay!

I've built a few websites with frames too - they are fun!

So that's pretty much how I got into coding for the web - woop woop!
eefh1
I am learning html, php and sql using online help...
alem
from internet of course... i think normal books are losing their importance compared to online books or tutorials...

i used mostly w3schools, quirksmode and tizag. but of course i can't say that i learned html, php... i continue learning them...
royalassassin
i learned it in our computer subjects in college. i read lots of computer programming books, talk to someone who knows about it and search in the internet for some tutorials and guides then test the results in my desktop computer.
cybernie
I have learned HTML and other web design applications by myself. I did lots of online research. I printed some of them for reading. I looked at the source codes. The first website I made was a template-based whch I downloaded from the internet and used it. Then I started to do my own codes on notepad. I did not use any software like Frontpage and Dreamweaver.

When I am on a rush, that's where I use those kind of programs.
cvkien
i learn all those programming language by myself. i am a psychology student but i love computer so much. and i can do a lot of thing with computer and all those knowledge i get it from myself. but in university, i took computer courses for my minor. so i got a chance to learn c programming and visual basic. but before that, i got a bit knowledge a bout it. so this time i can use that course to know weather what i learn is correct. learning by yourself can make you more understand and you can remember it well. it just like doing experiment or research on it. and till now, i learned HTML, javascript, PHP, C, C++, Visual Basic. and now i am thinking to learn RPG, JSP, and ASP by myself.
Coclus
I decided to design a website and therefore checked Google for good tutorials like most other people writing here as well.. Laughing
zjosie729
At first I learned from reading tutorials on other websites. Then I got better by practicing. Then, I looked at other people's websites to see if I can learn anything. And at last I learned from books which was actually really helpful.
sthar
I started learning HTML in Blogger.
And as some u guys did, watch other sites codes and see how they have built it up.
Now im building my own site.
and making logos and stuff for other websites.
Wink
Jakob [JaWGames]
I learned HTML from a regular book which I borrowed from the library. Books combined with internet is a great way to pick up things quick.
Skkye_Blossom
I learned your basic HTML from my mother, and then I just read endless tutorials. Some worked better than others. After I reached CSS and more advanced HTML I started finding what tutorial sites worked the best, and just kept reading those.

I was attempting to learn PHP from a text book, but I had to put that on hold, and now that I'm back I'm still trying to figure out what language I should learn to bet suit my needs.
wietn
I learned HTML just on my own. Trying and trying. (Editor: frontpage (easy:p))

I learned PHP not so long ago, trough books and the internet.
agustin
a friend ofmine teach me some fundamentals of html--- then i started jut trying some webs and stuff and looking at the code... pretty interesant.
keqi
ҲμˣҺã
thinkfacility
I used to read books, but nowadays if I don't know how to do something that I remember seeing on a webpage and liked, I just google it and check out the script. However, learning PHP and Ajax is still something I have to do...Javascript and CSS are easy enough to just look up though.
madpotatokipp
i really wanted to create a web site with my cousin so i started learning from books and the internet. now i can write scripts for my work at a hospital in 6 hours
videoguy
i first gained knowledge of html by looking at the source code of web sites, and then from there I learned some basic things. CSS was much more difficult than HTML, because it requires more knowledge of the code, unlike html, which you can mostly bypass with designing apps like dreamweaver and the like.
Legolas710
I believe that I started by using FrontPage 2000 or something...

Then I started looking at the source code, and looked at other resources.
king_jofy_joe
SCHOOL! I NEED TO KNOW THE THINGS YOU DONE BEEN TEACHING YA SELF.

WANT TO TEACH ME?
kk_loke86
I start my first lesson on programming.... not really programming just HTML at eleven... And then I have my secondary school life and leave it untouch... Then, I spent two years learning Flash and its ActionScript...

Actually, my first programming language to be learnt was C++. I took it as one of my major course in my degree. I have used two months to get myself to become a intermediate user of C++ programming language. My last semester, I have studied PHP, MySQL, and get myself revise on HTML, CSS and so then get to know XML...

Now, I am going to study PROLOG and JAVA. How I do it? Well, all my courses are just fundalmentals only, if you really want to become an expert... Books, Net is the only solution. I found out that Frihost is also a good places to get some good support on learning all this computer language...

I love programming, and will use up my whole life to master all these languanges. It is very exciting to communicate with computer and tell them our problem and let them to find the solutions for us! After all the world will be changed by such a silicon-based technology.
Sickpigen
I started my own forum and installing mods and it was interesting so i started learn some PHP and HTML Cool
Kelcey
I learned html way back in 6th grade... then i just self taught myself php and what not when the time came.
MeddlingMonk
I taught myself HTML years ago using various books. I have also learnt CSS more recently, as well as the revisions to HTML (once again from books).
nepheus
I learn by myself. And to learn well i suggest we should go to Internet for an active enviroment and individual working.
When i learned html, css, i read many sources to encounter many types as i could. Then, i did some small exercises such as make a simple website by hand typing, not using editor. And when i get familiar with them, i can use editor.
When i learn Php, the same way above, i look for a book, read it, do exercise, read other sources... And one important thing: i visit some website and forum to discuss.
Bathamos
I am still learning. ^^;

I am not very good at learning such things in the traditional methods.
I know what I know from picking apart websites and looking at how people do things.

I have recently downloaded a pre-made layout from DDG and I'm slowly converting it over to look and work how I want it to.

My friend Raine Dragon, who is also a Frihoster and how I found this site, made the layout and is helping me through it. Very Happy <3

Right now, I would say that I know the omst with HTMl and CSS...

I hope to get to really know them and also JS, PHP and maybe some other things.

I think I'm doing well so far. XD;;
304esque
I learnt them through the internet, and after i've got a good grip on the basis, i went snooping on other sites' sources to see how they do something that interested me :3

I've been typing out html tags on notepad since i was 15, but i kinda stop for a few years since i had no time and no real site to maintain. Mostly i also go for relatively simple sites, but table/frame-abusing lol

i wish i had time to devote to this, then i can actually learn more about java to spice things up
eggg
I learned HTML years ago through trial and error, mostly. I've found that the online PHP, Perl, and MySQL manuals were more than enough to teach myself those languages.
gr8inferno
I'm still learning. although I'm pretty familiar with the basics HTML.
cloudship
I learn it by reading books on them, but did not have time or ideas to practise them, thus, I haven't yet master any one of the scripting language, it's my pity, Sad
NooBix
sCHOOL!! My School teaches all the students HTML and Javascript

I learned PHP and MySQL from another optional course from some school teacher Smile

I only use books for reference. Wikipedia is also a good reference
DanielWestman
I've just started learning HTML, XHTML and CSS and I've almost completely learned from these two sites below:

http://w3schools.com/
http://www.webbdesignskolan.com/

The later of the two is a swedish website, so I dont think many of you will understand that one.

I've also downloaded the webdeveloper toolbar for firefox which is an awesome tool for understanding websites!
Hackerdeluxe
I learned from books, analysing other people's code, or probing something.
In our shool we learn something about this and should make our self homepage.
I have been learning html, css, php, mysql, and other things by going through the pages at the W3Schools website (http://www.w3schools.com/). They have the best tutorials that I've been able to find so far.
Alaskacameradude
Went to google and searched for tutorials. Went through them and figured out a few basic things. Still not very good with it, but I can make a decent basic webpage now....but that's about it. People think it's crazy when I tell them how I learned though.
oufti
and tutorial for french language ?

what's the best place for you?
HalfBloodPrince
I learned HTML on my own, basically, with the help of a tutorial or two. PHP, however, was much more difficult, so I learned that through a plethora of tutorials and my cousin.
alexkrycek
I have been learning Python for half a year now through a highly-rated book I found on Amazon. It may just be me, but I need a lot of structure in my learning. This book also has a lot of practice problems for every chapter.

Next on my agenda: PHP and maybe Objective-C (the latter so that I can learn to make GUI Python applications using PyObjC).
nivinjoy
i learned HTML by own...I started doing the website pages using Microsoft Frontpage and it was very useful in developing my HTML knowledge..!!

As it was very easy to create pages using Frontpage i was able to pick up HTML as soon as possible...!! And alsong came javascript and so on...!! Laughing Cool Laughing
gr8inferno
yea pretty much online tutorials.
Insanity
I started off mainly just reading the tutorials online, but most of my learning came from trying things out myself and figuring out how things worked. I looked up the source code for websites that looked attractive and learned how to do it by copying them, then slowing modifying them for my own use over time.

CSS was a bit harder to learn through source code, so I had to read some tutorials and some books to get the basic gist of it, and then through more experience I had it under my belt, more or less.
atia
cLean
I first had the intrest to script in MIRC. which is very similar to PHP i come to find out. I was working on a RADIO bot for my Radio and read a lil that i can make a PHP page that would host my bot. So thats how i started with PHP and mysql. And it progressed from their and now I can write in just about any languae known to the web design community.
bigt
Tabo wrote:

Most all of my web design has been self taught. I learned basic programming my senior year of high school and first years of college. Once you learn to program everything else is just syntax and I think one can program well in any language from there.
fliphedhnter09
Well, i don't really but i just read the codes and translate it in English

When i am coding first i make a series of commands or instruction then translate it in a programming language then that it if done. Normal for me to do some debugging something goes wrong and or something does not went the way i want it.

When working with new languages, having a hard time dealing with the syntax
Darkbrigader
I learn the basics on a website tutorial, then I look through code after I know basically whats going on and see if I can make out what that code does. A little while later I start writing basic code, looking back at the tutorial or other people's code for help here and there. But yeah.
justtj
I learned html, css and asp from w3schools at their site
http://www.w3schools.com
they offer free tutorials and loads of them Very Happy

and i love their tagline "best things in life are free"
yay!

Also google.com for any queries in any language Very Happy
HamsterMan
The only language that I learned the basics from someone else was pascal, but html, css, php, java, c++ and actionscript 2 and 3 are all self learned.
Ghost Rider103
Well I can't say I know very much about any language. I know a little about html and php, and that is it really.

I learned most of it from an old user that I havn't seen here in a while, named mistuhgriddlez or something like that. He tought me what little I know about it.

I hae also read up on some tutorials that people have pointed out to me, but this isn't really an area I am interested in, it's just something that I had to know at least a little bit of, I didn't want to take it to the extreme.
juanherrera
I learned perl, html, javascript & python on the job... which I think is the best way to learn. I learned Java in school... but without real world experience, it's all theorhetical
fpwebs
I first started learning coding back in 6th grade of middle school where I did the same thing you did to learn HTML. I would use the view source on web sites and see how certain things would work. I put them all together but switched them around all the time to get different outcomes. Pretty much with HTML it was trial and error, a lot of it at that. When I wasn't sure about something or I wanted to learn something new that I couldn't find the code to I would do a google search of the code and I would alter every part of the code to see what every action did on the page. Eventually I became extremely fluent in HTML and I wanted to learn other things. I found the site www.w3schools.com which is by far the coolest site to learn different computer languages and that's the site I used to learn PHP and JavaScript. Eventually I would like to learn more, but I'm content in what I already know now! Surprised
majiknight8
Tabo wrote:

I learned about php through my mentor who has his own computer company. I t is an affliiate of his non for profit company callled US to Africa which ships computer hardware and software to africa.

The PHP project that I need to learn intails having a php security access point that uses mysql as a database to reference the information. myself and a friend to get a php, apache and mysql setup to run the progarm that is needed. I am glad I found this site and it has challenged me to learn and earn my free web hosting.
thorunn
I took 1 semester in Computer Science...and there I learned some Java, but boy was that boring!!! LOL so I switched over to Multimedia Design and now I have learned something much more intresting Wink I also learn alot from the internet Wink
powerfusion66
I started learning the basics about html years ago from some magazines.
Searching well formed sites and reading the code gave me an idea for css and javascript as well.
Two months ago i started reading about php, killerphp.com helped me a lot with their video tutorials.
Now i 'm in the phase of experimenting with php and some of the php scripts around.
majiknight8
Hey thanks for the tip. I went po the killerphp.com website The video tutorials are great and truly simplistic. I will definintely recomend this site to my friends.

mKnight8 Smile
powerfusion66
Yeap, this site is really cool.
I liked the clear videos where you can see the code and i guess the man's voice it's ok. Razz
This is one of the major problems in youtube video tutorials, they are blurred and the speaker could be a 15 year old kid with the tv open (sic).
singh.gurjeet
Schmarvin wrote:
Well, I learned alot from surfing the web. I needed to learn how to code some things, next I know, I'm pushing myself to the limit, trying to understand PHP, Javascript, CSS, MySQL, and C++. I don't know what'll become of it. I haven't mastered any of the languages, but I'm still trying.

I hope to learn alot more computer programming languages. I've gotten this far on my own, I'm hoping to get alot farther.

As I understand it, that's the way anyone should be learning everything about computers; It's not rocket science you know! I donno why people are afraid of it?

I learned almost everything on my own! The internet helped me a lot. I had bought some good books too at times. I read anything that interests me, whether or not that's useful for what I am working on. This includes, C, C++, Java, a little assembly, a little PHP, Javascript, SQL, Networking, OS internals, compilers, language interpreters, Web2.0 techs, and what not!!!

The result: A mechanical engineer ends up being an RDBMS internals developer, and right now hired by a company that lets me work from home, except when I have to travel to train our customers, and for consulting. (I work almost all the time from home, something I haven't seen other people doing in my country, India).

So I would say, just slug it out. It's not difficult, just keep yourself on the toes.
DizzyDesign
I have always been interested in websites. I learned HTML trough everything i could find on the internet and with some books from the library. After that i tried learning everything about how to make a informative, innovative and interesting website and im still learning PHP , MySQL, Javascript, CSS.
deanhills
I have been doing Websites as hobbies, so have always looked for the shortest cut from A to B. I do not feel proud saying this, as in the far horizon I have this resolve to learn HTML properly. In the meanwhile my challenge has been sufficient time learning, and perhaps being lazy as well. At the time when I started with my first Website Frontpage98 was a great tool. For things slightly more complicated like figuring how to get Weblinks not to show underlining I would do searches on the Internet and find answers that way. I also like "Dummy" books. The one on Frontpage was really good. I have an HTML4 Dummy Book, did not get time to work through it though. Should make a greater effort.
Faraz
Learned it by myself. Since I have been introduced to Internet, I was always interested in how they make websites and such, so I searched, searched, and searched, and got my hands on every tutorial I could find. I also purchased lots of books. But Internet was more hopeful, because whenever I got stuck at something, I just searched it, and voila, I got the answer. =)
Rajiev
I'm learning them in my masters now .
wolvmag
When I first saw my buddy Eric programming (Now that I look back) Atrocious HTML I asked him what he was doing (At the time I was more into Turing, seeing games made from this language) and he said he was making a site for his group Fox ... something. Airsoft team.

It was kinda cool because me.. being a computer lover.. this.. totally baffled me- I had to find out.
After looking and thoroughly reading several sites I was armed with basic HTML, and I kept searchign and absorbing info until finally I had basically.. mastered HTML 4.01 But JavaScript seemed popular.
So I thought I'd figure out what it was. I took a look at it, was (at first) dissuaded (So I went on to learn Visual Basic Script) and then finally took another look at JavaScript and decided, determined, to learn it.
I've done really well in JavaScript, OO JavaScript to.

Afterwards, I wondered how sites could put in the time to make their sites so.. good..
Turns out it wasn't thousands of table cells, it was a little file called "main.css"
What I saw in that source code led me to discover CSS and now I am excellent.

PHP and Perl are more recent, I also know console C++ The reason I learnt PHP was because C++ (for me, and still is) limited me to Desktop programming. I wanted to keep my "web" oriented theme.
Perl, is my new desktop-love, wondering how people managed to use it on their website.
Now I know(from other thread) and I can't wait to learn the CGI aspects of Perl.
Fatality
Aside from going to school for networking, I have taught myself everything I know. I continue to learn new things. One of the reasons I'm here is to use my knowledge in an actually hosted environment. I wish I knew a little more, but i haven't been motivated enough to go take classes on web development. I'm fine with just learning everything on my own for now.
ocean
I learned HTML from my NIIT Coureware. Besides that you need to practice and should know about the tags at your finger tips.
ericf
I learned HTML in middle school in a summer program I attended at a local uni. After that, I got hooked and figured out that it wasn't hard to make sites like the big-time companies and anyone could do it so I started learning PHP on my own. (I bought a book from the library... I think it was PHP in a Nutshell) Anyway, now my university has a subscription to books24x7.com and that place is a dream for learning languages.
Firilacroco
HTML -> Creating my first site (Using CoffeeCup HTML ...)
CSS -> Book
PHP -> Online tutorial
C++ -> Book
ronijohn
I have learn it from books,internet
Entrepod
Surprisingly, my very first experience of Java came from editting of OdinMS codes. Even though everything seemed gibberish to me, I manage to understand slightly, the loops involved in each file, what they actually do in the game, and basic things like editting certain numbers or words to see the out come.

After that, I ventured further and started reading the Java for Dummies E-Book. Its practically idiot-proof, it was more or less understandable, although it does require reading again and again to finally understand something. I'm currently a basic Java programmer, just a student interested in computers. I've only written really really short programs but everyone has to start small Very Happy
oufti
I LEARNED WHEN I NEED IT

it's maining that i learn by drag/drog copy and compare....

and a lot of crash's later i find the first medium result about my way
but when you find a good site whith some developper than they can give to you some finest help for you way of work
ericf
Firilacroco wrote:
HTML -> Creating my first site (Using CoffeeCup HTML ...)

HAH! Oh snap, I remember CoffeeCup HTML! I had totally forgotten about that. Blast from the past.
viraj
I had a previous knowledge of C. But web programming was indeed a very different arena...

Initially I learn t very simple HTML from books which gave me fair idea about the basic dimensions of website designing.. Sooner I started making my own websites. It was always challenging to see a new thing in websites I browsed on net. I use to do a re engineering by viewing the code form them.

Then I came across w3schools.com/w3schools.org which really had put the entire www programing and designing in a very systematic, simple and broad steps.

I think, if you are a beginner, and a middle level developer on this front this website can be very handy..
flyfamilyguy
Tabo wrote:

I learned the same way that you did. (I'm not able to code my own forum yet.,PHP and all that), but I can get my site up and running. I'm constantly looking at the source on other sites that have something that I want on my own site. I also search for different tutorials all the time, and eventually can incorporate bits of them into my code.
w3schools is a great place to learn all about codeing, but I would really like to find a site that teaches from beginning-to-end, step-by-step instruction. Anyone know of such a website?
moof
E-Books, and many internet resources. Sometimes other people, friends and books.
spinout
hm, good lord, it wasn't in school ... or I did go to networking education but the I already knew. I even did work as a teacher in html... I must have learned it from the net...
singh.gurjeet
<quote="viraj">I had a previous knowledge of C. But web programming was indeed a very different arena...

Initially I learn t very simple HTML from books which gave me fair idea about the basic dimensions of website designing.. Sooner I started making my own websites. It was always challenging to see a new thing in websites I browsed on net. I use to do a re engineering by viewing the code form them.

Then I came across w3schools.com/w3schools.org which really had put the entire www programing and designing in a very systematic, simple and broad steps.

I think, if you are a beginner, and a middle level developer on this front this website can be very handy..</quote>

yup... w3schools is where I head when I have to figure something out about, say, javascript, HTML, PHP. I am a hardcore C programmer, but anything related to programming (generally solving a tough task) makes me think what to use this problem, and every problem has the right language to solve it. You can't create a website in C!!!

Also, I have an ambition of having my own money-generating website someday, so this keeps me in touch with the technology.

My website has a PHP page that lets you browse my collection of garfield comics archive. I faced some tough problems (then tough for me!) and solved them.

http://gurjeet.frihost.net/garfield/ . Hope you like it too.

Best regards,
bleizer
When i started to learn PHP, Javascript, MySql, I had allready been programming with delphi or c++. It took some time just to combine all these languages on one webpage. Most of the questions are asked, lots of E-books or tutorials, which can easily be found on web and learn from.
adoreyourself
I originally learned HTML by saving websites into Frontpage or Dreamweaver, playing with the split code / graphical view..

Then I spent more time reading up online, and seeing other peoples examples, I also used the Dreamweaver tutorials
gtoroap
Well, I learned basically from other example sites, and later from books. I recommend this way. Smile
habboonefm
i started when putting youtube vids on a piczo site then wanted to put on other stuff. then i didnt think it was that hard to pick up.
flowerpower
I searched on the internet interesting tutorials. It's a nice way to start. maybe you could get some help from a friend. HTML's pretty easy to learn. best of luck! cheers
gullip
At school...Razz
Jarco
html i gathered over the years messing about the net.
php however i lernt through playing with the code in various cms's such as phpnuke.

///EOF
imera
I first started a homepage where I didn't need to know codes, and then I wanted to try out and see if I could make anything, so I spend a lot of time on the internet reading Very Happy making homepages and helping friends with their coding is fun for me now Very Happy
edwinl
I started learning about joomla, os commerce and other stuff like that, it's a good start i think because you only need to learn basics about php, mysql, html.

Then you can learn more about php, mysql, html, css...
Vitalist
I know PHP, ASP, JAVASCRIPT, HTML, Java AND C.
C I leart in the Universty.
HTML I learnt from the site webmaster.org.il (in hebrew) and school.
Java Script i learned from the book Focus On Javascript.
Java I learned in school.
Php I learned from a book which name i dont remember, but it published by SAMS and it has red cover.
ASP I also learned from school.
akocharry
basically html is just a framework, building blocks for you to create a simple website/web page.
i learned it from school. at first, i am not giving interest to html because i felt it's so boring but then, i realize it lately in my 3rd yr in college that it is very important and essential to any language like php, and java script! you have to have a strong background about html before moving on to higher scripting llanguage like php! php is more on database which partners with mysql. all of these are thaught in my school but i still look into other examples in the web and in books available in the library.
Tammy
well im mostly use frontpage and other people's codes , u might think it sounds stupid but it SERIOUSLY helps Wink well for me XD
nayloon
E-Books, and many internet resources
robinhanks
you see it as long as you study hard on it.
practice is only way to go to master it.
Subaru
To be honest...total basics of HTML I learned in school, but more advanced like colored marquee I learned by myself (sometimes with help of Google sometimes with help of program)
I would like to learn some PHP but I don't have that much time Sad
mmurph14
So, I picked up my first HTML book in High school. I went to an all girls catholic school and was a national level swimmer. So, talk about an exciting life. I swam and I studied...that's it. So, of course, being a female and being attracted to the male gender, I naturally became obsessed with the backstreet boys. (Hey, I can't say I'm PROUD of it. You can't blame me, I hadn't discovered good music yet!) So, I set out to create the BEST BSB website around (I have since given up on it years ago....but I'm sure it's still out in the great WWW somewhere) It never made national status, but I did have fun and I learned a lot of HTML. And, to this day, I continue to be a nerd
bernardnapoleon
hmm... mine... im currently studying BS computer science but what they are teaching is purely theoretical and concepts only so i studied on my own mainly for school project like php and mysql
Ork90
I learned some basic things abuot html in school. The other stuff i have learned on forums, sometimes my friend helped me. If you are interested in hacking, you can learn some cool stuff too. Wink
vvforgs
Self taught like most others

Used Basic back in the days of DOS, before the days of Windows. Learned that at a young age. Picked up a few languages through my years at school, so learning new languages wasnt difficult- I feel its the concept of programming languages that throw people more than anything else, once you learn one, it's not hard to learn others. Website-wise, I started off small, designing very basic websites. Realised you could use tables, and the designs got better. Discovered CSS and they got better again, and more efficient. Picked up using photoshop as time went on. Had to use php in certain projects, so learned from other peoples code. Started using content management systems, and over the years have learned SQL as a result. Learned VB at uni - otherwise i'd probably never have gone near it.

Things like dreamweaver help so much when learning, and still do. New website designers really have got it good with the latest versions of dreamweaver and frontpage, last time I used dreamweaver, it covered everything I was doing. Definetly worth having if you're learning HTML etc, or just need help with it.
vvforgs
I had a previous knowledge of C. But web programming was indeed a very different arena...

I think, if you are a beginner, and a middle level developer on this front this website can be very handy..</quote>

yup... w3schools is where I head when I have to figure something out about, say, javascript, HTML, PHP. I am a hardcore C programmer, but anything related to programming (generally solving a tough task) makes me think what to use this problem, and every problem has the right language to solve it. You can't create a website in C!!!

Also, I have an ambition of having my own money-generating website someday, so this keeps me in touch with the technology.

My website has a PHP page that lets you browse my collection of garfield comics archive. I faced some tough problems (then tough for me!) and solved them.

http://gurjeet.frihost.net/garfield/ . Hope you like it too.
infinisa
Try www.w3schools.com

I've used their tutorials to learn PHP (and also DTD, XHTML, XML, XSD) and find these tutorials to be excellent.

Good luck.
Flarkis
So far Ive had experience in 3 different languages. First i started learning C# because my friend showed me some stuff he did with C# and it got me interested, although I didnt end up learning much of the language.

The second language i learned was Turing. This basic language... basically a tutorial language. I learned it when i took a computer course about a year ago.

Right now im currently in another computer course learning java and i have to say, each of these languages are fun to explore around with and see what you can do with them
amperx
The internet, i learned it there, and from books as well, and doing lots of exercises out of it, that way you'll know how to bend that method or function at will D:
stel4e
The same old story... I bought myself couple of books, then I begin looking at the source codes of different websites, copied scripts to see how they worked and make them to suit my needs. I have studied web programming at school too... but that was only couple of classes so I didn't learn so much there...That's for HTML, PHP, CSS, MySQL. About C++/C# Programming I learned from school and books. Now I am thinking learning JSP and ASP because I don't have any experience on that. I tried to learn Flash myself .... but I still haven't find the right book, I think Flash is the hardest for me..... I am not sure if I can learn it myself.... I'm not a master of any of the languages but I like programming Smile
brainxdead
view source. copy/paste.

haha.
Tadtoad
I started out with books first, then jumped to online tutorials, forums and basically any site with copy/paste code. Later I moved on to ebooks, but I still search forums for helpful tips that you would never have thought up on your own.
rebill
I learn it by myself , Google is my greatest teacher.
birebirozelders
yeah man,
me too...
Google is the best one ...
Chinmoy
You must be one hell of a learner. Blog needs a proper blogging platform, with css and php. Expecting you are not bluffing, you shud try some system programming. the world of coding neds people like you who can think out of the box. Neways, I learnt java swing by myself.
Possum
I usually find out about languages from other people.

I then do my favorite Google search

Tutorial beginner CSS

Tutorial beginner Delphi

Tutorial beginner php

etc...
deadswan
I started learning about PHP, HTML and JavaScript from websites like http://w3schools.com/
Then when I understood the basics I gave myself tasks to do and if I got stuck on something I'd just google it lol loads of coding forums and websites

Mr. Green
mrcool
i learned it by myself as well through books and search engines.
chatrack
Most of it self study. YES, my friend Rahul , inspired me to study html.
sketteksalfa
it was during my highschool days when i wondered how a web page works. starting with a notepad and microsoft frontpage, i learned basic gradually. Until i studied formal html and javascript then i learn to design myself.
kacsababa
Self study. Lots of reading online and some books. And ofcourse a lot more practice...
dmystic
teached it myself. well not fully, when i was young(well, younger then i am now) i once read a tutorial in a book, but almost everything it explained was <html> <body> etc. so not really usefull, but most i just looked up, and w3schools.com works great to find code on
Chinmoy
I started off with a wordpress installation and a LAMP server on my ubuntu 8.04. Before that the only thing I was not confident about was php. Now i canmamage some codes and if ever I need any help, gooogle is there..
mimic
At first, when i was first trying to make my website i was reluctant to learn how to code html and php so i just resorted to asking my friends to make some scripts for me. He eventually got annoyed with me so he said in a nice way to "just learn it off the internet".

So now i started learning about 2 days ago and im learning html, with some prior background knowledge, and am learning a lot from websites such as www.tizag.com and other helpful websites.

After that i'm gonna hopefully try to learn how to code in php in detail and hopefully be able to make cool a$$ scripts! =] And also make my own plugins! YAY! Very Happy

Oh yeah! i forgot to add after that i am HOPEFULLY gonna learn how to make css templates so i can have my own cool layouts, then be able to learn javascript so i can make cool pull down menus and stuff and then FLASH! make all these cool flash intros and websites.
sirmichael
For the basic, learn it from book or ebook. After that you can googling or ask on forum
Segarac
I learned html on my own.. And I'm learning .php from a friend.
ozerib
I learned PHP when I was creating a website for my thesis; however, after that I forgot since I wasn't going to use it again.. Now, don't have time to spend on it...
burn
I've been messing around with all html, css and php for about 10 years now. most self-taught and a couple tricks I picked up in computer science class.

I remember when I first started out with html, I used Brinksters.com code database and learned a lot from there, I then would redesign my templates and with time and reusing codes, it just became a 4th language and a addiction. I have yet been mentally strong enough to quit. Twisted Evil
ingelady
I have also teached myself everything I know today. In my times computers were for those who could afford them. Now a days even my grandson knows how to use them.
i am so interested in learning every day and that is now one of my hobbies.
I am trying to do a web page. i know a little bit of HTML and I have the adobe creative suite cs3, so I am learning flash, and all the other programs all by myself. just surfing on the web for free tutorials.
It is great and I am so happy with this.
I have some examples that i can share with you.
andysart380
same as tabo for me... I learned everything myself and i just keep doing it... just figure it out by seeing how it works... trial and error is all it takes. if at first you don't succeed, Try Try again.
evilgeniuself
I started learning Java a few years ago in my Computer Science class, then decided to take some other classes and eventually began learning XHTML, CSS, and some more advanced Java. Most of what I know comes from experimenting with DreamWeaver and seeing how the code changes and such. I am not very well versed in XHTML or CSS though, as I know more Java than anything else, and am even lacking strong skills in that.....
In other words, I began in school and am still learning.
tamilparks
I learned HTML & Photoshop myself and now started studying ASP myself
chatrack
Am a teacher in Physics. My friend who is a computer teacher teach me the basics of HTML & SQL. I have PHP introduction from a book which we purchaised together
Xzoz
I've learnt most of what I know from books and tutorials, and some from school, only know html/css so far, but I'm going to start with PHP, Python, VB and C soon enough, most of which my school has courses for. Also, like most everybody have said, taking scripts off the web and modifying them to your needs is also a good way to go, but it can be hindering at times. Since if you learn everything that way, you might not know other ways the elements can interact.
mtsbuild
guys;

i made the collossol mistake of taking lessons via dreamweaver and tempaltes... there are so many core programming elements i simply don't know because of not taking a course (alhtough now there are a few tricks i know from great sites like javascriptkit and so on.... ) - anyhow... hving jhust discovered i can actually use joomla pretty well am quite excited about the idea of building dynamic sites with lots of add ons..... once up i will let you know.

Stve
Insanity
Viewing source code from websites that I thought had neat designs and tried to emulate it myself... I'm still not that great at HTML but I can do the most basic stuff and some CSS...
themarine
I've come to know HTML gradually over the last 8 years or so. I began on Expage, found the odd marquee or font colour code to jazz my kiddy pages up a bit and then just looked them up one at a time from then on. I also played a few geeky play-by-post rpgs which helped me understand tables/divs/etc. and whenever I saw something interesting then I'd 'View Source' and take a look. I didn't really learn in an organised fashion - it was more trial and error: silly things like realising that I could condense 'font size=1' and font color=red' into 'font size=1 color=red'.

Faraz
Google is my best friend!

I learned C/C++ in my college. After that, I learned PHP from Google, since it was quite similar to C. And then slowly and gradually VB, ASP, Java, etc. All by myself.
youandmephotography
Personally, I find books and coding very difficult to learn from.

Online resources and classes on HTML are much more effective again, in my opinion. I was exposed to HTML in 7th grade actually, with the assistance of... Microsoft Front Page? I thought the cross between HTML and simple coding (automated) helped with the learning process.

Now I use Dashcode only, but with the resources available on the internet and my background, I can do most of the basic tasks of HTML.

I would say that it took me about 2 months to learn the basics of HTML, and about 1 to learn about CSS
carlospro7
I taught myself HTML XHTML CSS and PHP. I also taught myself SQL. I learned all of these languages through books and internet resources. I also taught myself VBA Excel. This one I had to learn in a couple weeks for a project at work. Online resources and a lot of practice.
C and C++ I learned at school.
tepani2008
Since i took computer science major, i got lot of programming language like java, php, jsp, c#, etc.
Outside what i've been taught, if think i have on idea
haha I'm a lazy person..i never learn whatever language by my self, except it is related to my project..
hehehe..no self motivator on learning something..>.<
deanhills
tepani2008 wrote:
Since i took computer science major, i got lot of programming language like java, php, jsp, c#, etc.
Outside what i've been taught, if think i have on idea
haha I'm a lazy person..i never learn whatever language by my self, except it is related to my project..
hehehe..no self motivator on learning something..>.<

Maybe it is not a case of lazy. Just that it is so foreign of our normal readings and writings. A language in its own, and if you make just one digit wrong, you have to go through painstakingly to work out all of the bugs. I just hope one day that it will become totally unnecessary to go through all of this. Everything will be automatic.
goniagara
php is great beacause there is so much pre-canned code out there, that either you can find what you need, or can generally get close enough that you can modify it to meet your needs. I can't write new code, but when I develop a site, I know what I want to do and I've been able to look through the code and figure out where to make the changes that I need to. Mostly I learn by google and trial and error.
b4r4t
goniagara wrote:
php is great beacause there is so much pre-canned code out there, that either you can find what you need, or can generally get close enough that you can modify it to meet your needs. I can't write new code, but when I develop a site, I know what I want to do and I've been able to look through the code and figure out where to make the changes that I need to. Mostly I learn by google and trial and error.

Well ... it those are only simple jobs then such finding ready code is OK ... but if You have to write whole CMS ... then You have to know php a little more ... Smile

By the way ... if You like when lot of work is done before You even think about writing anything ... pick one framework. But remember ... pick one and stick to it Smile (but ... if You want , you can learn all ... )
Those will realy speed up your work, but you will still have a lot of control about things you are doing.

Popular frameworks:

http://cakephp.org/
http://www.kohanaphp.com/home
http://codeigniter.com/
http://framework.zend.com/
http://www.symfony-project.org/

Kohana is realy nice, because it's PHP5 OOP Smile
Zend is OK ... because ... HEY ... PHP is on ZEND Engine ... those guys know what they're doing Smile

CAKE and CodeIgniter ... there was a "war" between users ... like PC vs MAC ... or C64 vs Amiga Smile Both are OK ... CI and Kohana are similar Smile
Jamestf347
I learned actually from java, that language led me to html, html led me to CSS, and CSS led me to php. I don't know i mainly read source codes, which is the way i learned everything but c++.
deanhills
I've been very lazy, using very basic software, i.e. FrontPage, and then when I needed scripts that I could not figure out how to do in FrontPage, or just were not available, would copy the source code from a Website I liked, and modify it, or Google it as there are a number of helpful Websites out there that specialize in help. Would be nice to learn though, and this thread really motivates one to go out and learn on the Internet.
ParsaAkbari
I learnt about PHP on the internet, nobody can and told me about PHP or taught me in real life, which made things a lot harder.
themarine

gcaughill
Hello,

Tabo wrote:

I taught myself GW-BASIC when I was 12. Then I learned basic scripting and pascal in high school.

In college I learned many languages.

Only took a basic HTML/web course in college. All my other web knowledge was gained on the job or on my own.
hamza1122
i just searched up some tutorials in google and found sites like tizag.com or w3schools.com and i also just check the code that people are putting in their websites and try to understand them. Then i sometimes just make practice websites so i can improve. but i'm still learning so yea. got quite a long way to go.
goniagara
b4r4t wrote:
goniagara wrote:

Well ... it those are only simple jobs then such finding ready code is OK ... but if You have to write whole CMS ... then You have to know php a little more ... Smile

I agree ... this approach works for the limited site development that I do ... to really do site development, I would really have to learn how to code.

I like to use mxbb/mx-publisher ... it's dynamic and flexible. It builds around pbbb 2.x ... the CMS portal built around phpbb 3.x is still in beta, so I'm waiting before I start my next site.
bvfbarten
I taught myself python, but realized that there isn't quite a market in python programming as there is for html, php, and javascript. So to speed things up, I am learning html, php, and javascript all thru the Oreilly School of Technology. Its an online course that also sends you a book for free in each of its courses. The fact that they send you certificates so you can put it on a resume is quite nice as well. Wink
kutekitten
I taught myself HTML, and then proceeded to take a computer class... I'm trying to fix quite a bit of my HTML now, apparently I'm really outdated. I've learned a few coding languages just by reading tutorials off the internet, then comparing that to various websites so that I'm not confused by it...
pll
I all learned web based languages on the internet.
I was trying some stuff, doing tutorials watching how other websites we're built.

It does takes a lot of time but I'm glad I learned it all by myself... Without any teacher and it makes me proud enough.

Cool I had a lot of spare time (and I still have)
Starrfoxx
I learned about HTML from the different tutorial sites that are on the internet. There are some really good ones out there if you search.
programitv
I needed to create a website or two, and I searched tutorials how to do that. Than I started studying Computer sciences and had a course or two about it
asim
Tabo wrote:

i learned most of the languages by the Universal Teacher and that is www.google.com
k_s_baskar
hi, I learned using some e-books and from websites like w3schools. I am professional programmer or website designer. But it is very easy to learn n program some small scripts usings php.
Smile
jelonperks
I googled everything i needed to learn...since then i have discoverd so many helpful webs to figure out...my programming needs..
Tabo wrote:

soljarag
first i learned some of it on my own. then i took a class at a local college in the summer back in like 1998... then i took a class in highschool .... then when I went to college I took another class (just for an elective)
rogue_skydragon
I actually learned HTML on my own. I built a Pokemon fansite nearly a decade ago (when I was about 12 years old) and figured out how to do basic tags and scripts.
lucian0127
I learned it from Online tutorials from basic to advance..

be patient to learn everything. just take it step by step..
Covert-Waffles
I learnt HTML using online tutorials, same with CSS. Normally I cant do that with programming languages. But HTML and CSS were quite easy. I am trying to do the same with C++, but its not working out to well.
PureReborn
learned it by building websites and taking unpaid position for web developing. Better off to just do something and figure out how, than sit around and wonder about how to do it.
HoytJolly
To learn web technologies, I first tried to learn them from a book. I was able to cover HTML, but I quickly got discouraged. After that, I went to school and was able to learn XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Being in a school setting was very encouraging because I was able to interact with other people that were doing the same thing. I was able to learn lots of techniques and I also gained a desire to learn more. Going to school also taught me how to use the web as a resource. You can find many tutorials on http://www.youtube.com for practically anything. Also, you can find a lot of useful information and tutorials on http://www.w3schools.com
Radar
HTML... Google and a book.

PHP... php.net really

MySQL... I'm not sure. Mostly a uni course I believe.

Python... university course

C++... same

Anything else - Google.

Short answer: The Internet is a wonderful learning resource.
Xanify
I learnt HTML as a 12-year-old ... because I wanted to make websites for my pets in Neopets. Embarassed

Still, it's definitely served me well since.
lucian0127
HoytJolly wrote:
To learn web technologies, I first tried to learn them from a book. I was able to cover HTML, but I quickly got discouraged. After that, I went to school and was able to learn XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Being in a school setting was very encouraging because I was able to interact with other people that were doing the same thing. I was able to learn lots of techniques and I also gained a desire to learn more. Going to school also taught me how to use the web as a resource. You can find many tutorials on http://www.youtube.com for practically anything. Also, you can find a lot of useful information and tutorials on http://www.w3schools.com

I Agree with the w3schools.com but you have to pay online.. There are many online tutorials from the very basic to advance. just google it. Smile
inuyasha
I leant them myself at home. Just downloaded some manual books and started to make what I wanted to. If there was some difficulties, I would look it up in the manual books and finally find a solution. Actually I'm learning while using. That's an effective way for me.
Abhishukla
there are many option to learn php and other programming language.. you can learn from e-book, aur any books or you can take a coaching classes or special training, that will help you a lot.
but practice is a must..
jondahlberg
Learned by myself, following guides on the web. Smile
robertoilidio
Books still are the best option to learn something in a structured way, but for sure there are many good guides over the internet.
lrj945
I was able to cover HTML, but I quickly got discouraged. After that, I went to school and was able to learn XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I built a Pokemon fansite nearly a decade ago (when I was about 12 years old) and figured out how to do basic tags and scripts.3 months ago i didnt even know what <body></body> was, but now i can code my own forum. Than I started studying Computer sciences and had a course or two about it
mengshi200
You can make a website or blog from beginning,when you meet a problem and solve that throughout studing html etc.Your interesting will increase very much.
deanhills
Only by doing. When I had a fixed Website in mind I searched everywhere to find an editor and troubleshooted my way through to final publication. That kind of learning has never stopped to this day. I'm not a geek at all, but I'm quite happy with all the resources that are available on line for learning whatever I need to know to build a Website.
ankurthakur
I started learning html by editing the HTML files which I use to find in the CDs of some Demo softwares.

I use to change title, add text and all. Then I started creating my own HTML files using images and text and H1 H2 etc.

Then when I got internet, I was surprised that how can people create professional website with just HTML. Then I found css.

I use to give them hours of hours. Then I got all the things.

And, PHP-Fusion was the CMS who made me learn programming language like PHP and C(already worked upon) Wink
Hexes
Well for me the books are the best way to go. I love to get information in categorized and professional way. Some internet tutorials are ok but i have to print them anyway since i love to highlight the text by myself and make some notes. Reading from monitor is something I'm not very comfortable with.
In case of html/css/programming in general the most important thing is ability to read code created by other ppl. If you know how to do it properly then it will improve your learning speed a lot. There are courser and special trainings around but they are too expensive for beginners. The first step you should do is buying a decent book. Then just practice Very Happy
Chellesei
I heard about HTML maybe last August or September 2010. My teacher told us that we're going to study about basic HTML and we're gonna build a simple website. And I was like "wow! sounds cool and interesting!". So when I went home, I searched stuffs about HTML and studied things at home before they were discussed at school.

I was curious how to make an even better website so I studied CSS. I watched some video tutorials and practiced by creating a website. I did not bother learning JavaScript because I'm like "ugghh. so many if's. I'll just study this some time".

So, I stick to just knowing HTML and CSS until March or April 2011. That time, I accidentally came across to FTP, WordPress, PHP, jQuery, and again JavaScript. I know some basics of PHP and jQuery and a few of JavaScript.

Most of the time, I teach myself about these stuffs by reading or watching tutorials in the internet. Sometimes books, but not often.
mukesh
I some worked in Joomla (php) and this time working in .asp and sql (SktTech Company).
TheGremlyn
Currently I'm in a position in school where my partner and I are working on a project for a project sponsor (someone in our community). Ideally we were hoping for a project that involved more hardware but instead most of the groups in our semester were assigned projects that involved a lot of web design and database management.

At the start I knew nothing about web design or databases but my partner had taken classes in these areas prior to our current program. That got us started and about mid way through the project I just took the lead on the overall design of the interface (HTML and CSS) and I've played around with a small amount JavaScript. I've even played around with some PHP and MySQL but not a lot.
thuyquuyennb
I have been using <body> </ body> Can you share with me? thanks!
andro_king
i learn it from website... the best teacher who teaches me everything about coding html java scripts and many more is google..
jimmyphillips
I am learning all languages from from w3school.
This is really very good site for learning php,htm and other languages. Smile Smile
mgeek
I looked at the source code created by Frontpage. Then I went to web tutorials. After, I read books.
psychorollercoaster
I have and still learning through video tutorials (youtube and lynda) are extremely good resources, apart from that there are tons of books which are helpful. Apart from these internet and forums have also been a useful resource for me....
jclives
I learned python from moocs on coursera, edx and udacity. way easier than reading books
pythonscorpion
try to read the source of HTML of your favorite website, and edit it improve it locally
md4friends
I learn in school in college in portugal html,css, javascript, sql, etc... but a study a lot at home i learn more in this way...

Sorry for my english is not very good

md4friends Boo hoo!