You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keeping it local. Should "Importing" workers be al

Should jobs be kept local or should the employers employ foreign people?
Keep it local.
 100%  [ 3 ]
The foreign people need work!
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

People "Import" workers from Mexico, Phillipenes (I think it is spelt like that...), Vietnam, India etc. to come to Australia (and other countries) to do work.

Should this be allowed?

On one side of the argument - You have the locals who lose their jobs to the foreign people coming from across the ocean looking for work which they cannot find in their home country. They may be more experienced and trained - But the foreigners are paid excruciatingly low wages (Is this even fair? Luckily, in Australia we have a "Minimum Wage"). Also, for some jobs they are needed (Like here in Australia we have a doctor shortage).

On the other side of the argument you have the foreigners who cannot get a job in their home country and are seeking jobs in Australia (and other countries too). Then they are exploited and get paid low wages for hard labour.

I'm torn between the two sides as I know that the foreign people need work, but the local people need it also. How do you guys think this should be solved? I think that their countries should try making more buisnesses and export more and import less. But your view is probably completely different from mine.

PS: I searched this forum and couldnt find any existing topics for this, though I might have used the wrong keywords.
I think there is nothing wrong with people travelling overseas to work, regardless if they're from poor countries with very high unemplyment work or they're from a developed nation looking for expereience in other countries.

However, as with employers looking to import workers from poor countries, I would look at their reasons behind doing so. For those who import workers because their isn't enough in the developed nation like Australia (eg, tradespersons) that's ok with me. If employers wanna import foreign workers for cheap labour (even, if there are qualified Aussie people available) that's not ok with me. Cos at the end of the day, Australians have the responsibiltiy to contribute to the society and if there is more unemployed people, there will be more welfare payments which leads to higher taxes and a slower economy. That is what makes the richer, richer and the poorer poorer.

I know some might say poor people will be better off working in Australia then their own, but in some circumstances, u gotta help your own country first before you are able to help other countries. I'm not saying you can't import poor foreign workers, I mean, one or two won't affect the whole economy but just try and not start the trend. It's all about having a balance.
I have a ranch and we used to pay 15 cents a tray for picking now we pay 31 cents to a contractor and he has to gaurante min wage and carry workmens comp. that why a necturne cost about .57 each and lettus is $1-$2.00 a head. so if we want cheaper food prices we beter let field workers come over on a four month visa to work but do not allow them to drive unless they have a 100,00.00 ins. I say yes but only field work.
Distortions of professionals mobility
One aspect of the globalization and free trade hypocracy that is often overlooked is that of worker vs. professional mobility.
Baker (2003) points out that it is the workers that bear the burden of trade liberalisation while professionals still enjoys the benefits of protectionism since immigration laws and implicit barriers hinder foreign professionals to work in for example the USA (Baker, 2003). This could be considered a distortion of the free trade concept, which prohibits restrictions in the movement of goods and services.

This can be easily understood when considering that the jobs that move to low wage countries are mainly jobs traditionally associated with workers, heavy industry, manufacturing and textile industry. On the other hand, jobs in the service sector like lawyers, dentists and medical doctors are less mobile, and also well protected by immigration laws. So part of the job market is mobile, but not the workers, nor the professionals. So the trade liberalisation is skewed against the working class and thus the neo-liberal pattern is repeated once again.
for sure there are some countries which need more labour force than can be guaranteed just from the inside market, in this case I agree to get foreign labour force, but anyway I think that before to guarantee this possibility to the resident people........
there is already a guarantee within the United States that locals have access to jobs.. it's called the Free Market.. however, if the locals don't want to work for the offered wage, the employer has the right to look for other employees who will.. and if none can be found, the employer has the options of not hiring anyone and doing it himself, or offering a more attractive wage

the problem is that the government has gotten so heavily involved in hiring practices and requirements that it has become more cost effective in many cases for an employer to look for employees out of the country.. by doing so, the employer is able to stay in business and our products are cheaper.. outsourcing jobs to people in other countries isn't necessarily a bad thing
I recently (in Australia) read an article about this topic. There was an abatoir in a regional area that couldn't hire local staff.

They paid above award wages, good conditions, prepared to train inexperienced staff, etc, but still most people considered the work 'below' them...the owner had no choice but to advertise overseas for workers.

I am afraid that there is a culture in this country that makes people think that there is something wrong with taking certain types of jobs because they are menial. Or because you might have to work hard, or long hours for financial rewards. Or because you may have to relocate from the city. Our welfare system is very generous too and reduces the incentive to find a job - any job.

With these kind of attitudes, businesses are genuinely having trouble recruiting staff locally. Why should their businesses suffer? Hire who you can...wherever you can find them.
This is quite an interesting and debatable topic and the arguments usually run wild!

However, let me give my two cents worth...

Importing foreign workers is to be done only if there is no one locally to fill up that job.. Needing them to do the jobs at less than minimum wage (would definitely be illegal immigrants to accept such a job) but still expecting yourself to enjoy a high standard of living (after all, in a country everybody has the right to be paid equally for equal amounts of work) reeks of double standards. Also remember that the cents you might save by giving them less than minimum wage eventually end up coming from you again in terms of the taxes used to support the public (after all, in the end, the illegal immigrants end up staying in a country with higher standard of living, and enjoy almost all offered facilities by some means or the other)..

Basically it is a very debatable topic and decision or view must be taken on a case by case basis...