FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bands that start great but get bad

cyph33r
Are there any bands that you were really into when there first album came out, but then were completely turned off by their later releases ?

One that comes to mind is Limp Bizkit....
rip8fan1
I can think of 'Hootie and the Blowfish' as being one for me. There first album was great, but each album after that just seemed to be the same, and the same, and the same. I even went to one of their concerts, and it was the worst I've ever been to!!
XLax
I'm not as fond of the new Green Day music as everybody else. I guess I prefer their old Alternative to their new Punk
schudder
About Limp Bizkit: I thought their second was actually their best (Significant other), followed by Results may vary and a tie between Chocolate starfish and $3 bill, y'all. That last EP thingie sucked though.
Helios
Classical example: Metallica.

After the release of The Black Album, they've gone bad.

They should drink more Razz

They were better with Vodka and beer.
warallthetm
lets start the list:
Green Day
Death cab for cutie
blink-182
The Used
Cohede and Cambria
Metallica
As i lay dieing
From autumn to ashes
Sum-41
Hawthorn Heights
Taking Back Sunday
any more?.........
Traveller
One of the problems is that a lot of bands (or individuals) rely upon their studios for their sound. When they try to perform or record live, they are exposed for how bad they really were to begin with.
Marston
XLax wrote:
Alternative to their new Punk
Other way around.
jeremoi
I think the new Rhcp new disc is an example of this phenomenon.
Marston
jeremoi wrote:
I think the new Rhcp new disc is an example of this phenomenon.
Truuuue.
Josso
Yeah... personally I don't like any Green Day but apparently that has happened to them as mentioned earlier. I was massively disapointed with new Boards of Canada stuff to be honest but from what I've heard they may have recovered with their next album.
Hippie
greenday is at the top of my list...too bad.
edallica
just to be different ill name a band that started of terrible but got better with later albums: the strokes.
vexation
Green Day had a few good songs, but they have definitely gotten worse over the years. Another band that has gotten worse is Avenged Sevenfold. I understand Shadows' problems with bleeding when he screamed, but he really shouldn't be singing at such a high pitch. Also, the lyrics on City of Evil are undeniably cheesy..."Burn it Down" and "Trashed and Scattered" are good songs, but the rest of the album is incredibly bland. The earlier two albums were both really great albums, which made me think that C.O.E. would be good, but it was definitely a letdown...Also, Eighteen Visions. I never was really a fan of them, but I heard their new song, "Tonightless", and it sounds much worse and cheesier than older songs like "Waiting for the Heavens" and "In the Closet"...
Tatsumaru
In Flames. Any album from before Reroute to Remain was fantastic (Reroute to Remain itself had a couple of great songs, but it wasn't that good). Then came Soundtrack to Your Escape which was really, really, really bad. At this point I really thought it was over with the good material from this band.

But Come Clarity (their latest release) is pretty good, so I'm giving them another chance.
KMKM
i think the bands remain the same... or yah maybe that studio factor too....
but actually when their albums are realeased and they are a big hit... people tend to expend more from them...
which unfortunately they cant provide and eventualli their popularity and fans decrease by the day.. and the band atlast gets closed....
but Limp Buzkit i think is still popular amongst some....

Kudos!
~KMKM
JayBee
Did you heard new RHCP? This is the way how to say "Here we are (but we haven't anything new)"
rightclickscott
XLax wrote:
I'm not as fond of the new Green Day music as everybody else. I guess I prefer their old Alternative to their new Punk

Yeah, I used to love Green Day, but then they just got really really bad. I don't even listen to their old stuff anymore.
Allweareisair
Most bands have this problem because the first one is the one where they take all the songs they've written before, and pick out the best ones just for that one. The first album is the high points of their entire career to the date they record it. After the first one, they have to start coming up with new material (gasp!) for that album, leading to the good old "one track and the rest is filler" syndrome.

See? It's all explained.
snowboardalliance
warallthetm wrote:
lets start the list:
Green Day
Death cab for cutie
blink-182
The Used
Cohede and Cambria
Metallica
As i lay dieing
From autumn to ashes
Sum-41
Hawthorn Heights
Taking Back Sunday
any more?.........

I sort of disagree on Taking Back Sunday. Thier first CD was great, but the new ones were just as good I thought. Sure some people thought it was bad that Louder Now was "nothing new" but I think it's good for a band to be the same if they are good. Most disappointments come when a band tries something new and fails.
Hobbit
I disagree with that list. Blink 182 didn't go bad, they matured, which is a completely different subject. They can't play pop punk and sing about bj's forever.

One band that did get worse, Senses Fail. Yuck.
molif
well.. in music business, their success is just unpredictable actually.. coz it's tha fans who is gonna appreciate their music.. when the fans don like it, they are dead musicians.. haha..
Jayfarer
Weezer.

What the heck happened with this last album? Geez. It's sad.
Pablo Diablo
Oasis is famous for having a few good albums, and then degrading into a characature of themselves.
Tynerius
Wow, what an awesome collection of music that had been covered in this thread. I have a HUGE list in relation to this and what other people have already posted, so bear with me. (All opinions stated are my own, and I do not mean to state them as the gospel truth. So please don't directly argue with me, It's my own opinion, which I am entiltled to).

Greenday - I personally think greenday have ALWAYS been terrible, however some of their older stuff was tolerable, so i'll agree that yes, they have got worse with time.

Metallica - Oh dear god. Everything before Load was excellent, and Load and Reload themselves were thoroughly good albums. But then they released St. Anger. Oh god no. That spelt the end of Metallica for me (except at concerts, where they sensibly play their older stuff)

Avenged Sevenfold - I disagree with vexation on this one, because I think City of Evil is the only good album they have produced. The previous two were too... rubbishly screamo for me. I hope they keep with their new sound, because I really enjoy listening to CoE.

(rest to come on new post)
Tynerius
ah, back now. Now I can continue:

In Flames - this is actually a band I was goning to mention when I read the title of this thread, but Tatsumaru beat me to it. And I have to agree with everything he said. Completely. Oh and I'd like to put in a special mention for the album Whoracle, which is quite simply an epic piece of music technology.

Blink 182 - I think that Blink have actually got worse. I know there is the arguement that they have simply 'matured,' but I disagree. Although their new songs are a lot more emotional and meaniningful, they did have some balladic songs on earlier albums (Adam's Song from Enema of the State comes to mind), and quite simply, the earlier ballads are better than the newer ones. Thus, they have declined over time.

And now for a couple of bands which have not yet been mentioned:

Megadeth - Now although saying they have declined over time is the truth (which it really is, it's undeniable), thats not to say their newer material isn't any good, because it is. The World Needs A Hero is still an extremely good album. However, when you compare it to some of their older stuff e.g. Rust in Peace, it is clear to see that their older songs ore so much better (just compare the old Hangar-18 to its newer sequel, Return to Hangar. You'll see what I'm talking about Wink )

Iron Maiden - Same case as Megadeth really. Their old stuff was so EPIC that their new stuff, which is still, by musical standards, brilliant, just pales in comparison. But please, still listen to them, they are still one of the greatest bands in history (and they have a new album out soon Very Happy )

Ok I'm finally done. WOOHOO!! Now lets all go have some cocoa.
legion
A good idea to discuss ... Like Allweareisair said most of the bands have one or two of their first albums with songs they've worked some years to finsih them, so when they release another album, usually after one or two years , the new songs are written in a short time without fully retouching them and this way they take some parts of their previous songs and add them to the new ones, resulting with a bad album.
A good example in my opinion is Dimmu Borgir. They had a big succes with "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant" (the 3rd album), but sadly after this one the band got bad with each album they have released including the biggest disappointment, "Death Cult Armageddon".
hazaramat
for me: Ben Harper.
I use to joke like this:
Ben Harper is just like Mac Donalds. I used to love it when I was teenager, but I grew up and realised it is crap, and I'm still astonished to see people in Mac Donalds: "c'mon! I realised it's crap, why didn't you???".
and why Ben Harper did not grew up like I did? I'm angry with him because of that; he could have become soooo good.
dyrtyrice
schudder wrote:
About Limp Bizkit: I thought their second was actually their best (Significant other), followed by Results may vary and a tie between Chocolate starfish and $3 bill, y'all. That last EP thingie sucked though.

limp bizkit and green day suck, old greenday had some good stuff, but I've never been a huge fan of them.
dyrtyrice
warallthetm wrote:
lets start the list:
Green Day
Death cab for cutie
blink-182
The Used
Cohede and Cambria
Metallica
As i lay dieing
From autumn to ashes
Sum-41
Hawthorn Heights
Taking Back Sunday
any more?.........

Coheed has gotten a bit more poppy, but Death Cab is still good.
ddukki
I'm sorry but I have to put Green Day in this category. It makes me almost want to weep ...
Tynerius
Why does it make you want to weep? They suck!
KMKM
Tynerius wrote:
Why does it make you want to weep? They suck!

Maybe he weeps when he hears them!! I agree Greed Day Sucks!!
efsane
I am say it

LiNkInK PaRk
Tynerius
Fair point. I used to quite like LP, but their latest album, a collaboration with JAY Z??? WTF??? I was gobsmacked by it, and in fact, still am gobsmacked by it. Just what would persuade you to do something like it!?!
snowboardalliance
Tynerius wrote:
Blink 182 - I think that Blink have actually got worse. I know there is the arguement that they have simply 'matured,' but I disagree. Although their new songs are a lot more emotional and meaniningful, they did have some balladic songs on earlier albums (Adam's Song from Enema of the State comes to mind), and quite simply, the earlier ballads are better than the newer ones. Thus, they have declined over time.

True, Blink 182 was the first band I really liked a long time ago. Enema of the State and the older albums were what I liked. The newest just wasn't as good. It reminded me of the Boxcar Racer CD except not as good (I sort of liked Boxcar Racer).