FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Apple's Mac vs. PC advertising






Mac vs. PC ads
They're bad
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They're good
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Who cares?
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

{name here}
You've probably all seen Apple's Mac vs. PC ads. I don't like these ads because rather than pitting Windows vs. OS X which is the real conflict they face, they pit the hardware. PCs don't have 114,000 viruses, windows only does. Every other OS on PCs don't suffer from this.
What do you think of these ads?
riv
Well, I'm sure by "PC" Apple means Windows, not Linux, FreeBSD or such other operating systems. And by "Mac", Apple can only mean "Mac OS X", the operating system, so I believe that they are comparing the sofware operating systems, not the hardware they run on. (The hardware is getting pretty similar these days, what with intel inside. Except Apple's hardware is much more simple and streamlined than most computers.) And I do like these new ads myself. Mostly because they show a bit of humor.
Xeniczone
I definetly like the apple commercials over pcs. The crash one is the best.

Code:
I have asked about this on many different times.

PC which in real terms is ment to be Personal Computer. PC should mean anything then that is considered to be a computer that you have in your house. Including macintosh, but because of people not going into this this is how it is:

PC = Windows OS
Mac = Macintosh OS
Linux/Unix = Linux/Unix (doesn't have a code name.)
deedee
I like the ads Smile
They're funny, and there is some truth in it.
Of course, they mix it up a bit, but you don't have to take everything serious!
kiranaghor
They are good and very true.
I have been using Apple product and they are far more superior as shown in adveritisements than pc.
Sharkbite86
haha i liked them a lot! About the only one i didnt like was the article reading one... i forget what its called lol, but it just seemed to go nowhere. My favorite one by far is the networking one, that one is pure genius. Cool

Im glad to too see any Mac related ads at this point anyway! Its been so freaken long since apple has had anything but ipod ads.
Rocky3478
They are great!
novisdesign
I like them. The newest batch are great too.
Sharkbite86
novisdesign wrote:
I like them. The newest batch are great too.


Yeah i saw that! The new ones i think are actually better than most of the old ones, i like every one of the new versions Very Happy .
izcool
I just watched the "Touche" one and I think it's overrated. I don't think that Apple's hardware should be used to run Windows with. They're overly expensive on their PC's and generally come bundled with the Apple OS on it already. There's no sense in doing that unless if you like the pearly white computers they make.

BTW, this one is a bit vintage, but it looks funny from today' position on technology --

http://www.uriahcarpenter.info/crowd-control.html

This one is even funnier because Apple now uses Intel chips in their PC's Razz --

http://www.uriahcarpenter.info/snail.html

- Mike.
Sharkbite86
izcool wrote:
I just watched the "Touche" one and I think it's overrated. I don't think that Apple's hardware should be used to run Windows with. They're overly expensive on their PC's and generally come bundled with the Apple OS on it already. There's no sense in doing that unless if you like the pearly white computers they make.

BTW, this one is a bit vintage, but it looks funny from today' position on technology --

http://www.uriahcarpenter.info/crowd-control.html

This one is even funnier because Apple now uses Intel chips in their PC's Razz --

http://www.uriahcarpenter.info/snail.html

- Mike.


Well i think the point of the Touche one was the fact that you can run windows on it if you need it...so it basically it's saying to the people who are thinking about switching: Hey, there is almost no risk factor because you can still revert to windows if you really need it.

haha! yeah i loved some of those old apple ads, i even uploaded some on my website: http://sharkbite86.frih.net/media/videos.html Very Happy Rolling Eyes
HoboPelican
I think they are just awful. But they are ads, so who cares.

But maybe Apple should set their sites a little lower. If you look at the poll on operating systems, Apple has like 1/3 the users that Linux does! Smile Baby steps, Apple-boy. Beat the free operating system, then take on the evil empire. Laughing


poll link - http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-21.html
henrygl
I think these ads are really awesome. Now while Pc is associated with xp, you cannot expect it to be associated with linux. linux can be run on macs as well, and very smoothly. I am not very used to these "attack" ads...They are not allowed in france. Unfortunately, this one says the truth, and once again i worship the apple.
HoboPelican
henrygl wrote:
.... Unfortunately, this one says the truth, and once again i worship the apple.


Laughing Freedom of religion! You are welcome to worship whatever you want. It's just funny how worshippers are always so darn sure THEY are right! Wink Facts are not needed! A solid criteria is not needed! Just hurl old info and belief and that is just good enough. Mac-iods really are a cult.

Wink Wink Wink
Sharkbite86
HoboPelican wrote:
henrygl wrote:
.... Unfortunately, this one says the truth, and once again i worship the apple.


Laughing Freedom of religion! You are welcome to worship whatever you want. It's just funny how worshippers are always so darn sure THEY are right! Wink Facts are not needed! A solid criteria is not needed! Just hurl old info and belief and that is just good enough. Mac-iods really are a cult.

Wink Wink Wink


What is this?! Are you here to simply critisize us or do you have anything USEFUL to say? Thats the problem with anti-mac people, all criticize and no good points... You say we can "worship" whatever we want, but then turn right around and spit in our faces.

Your point by the way about setting apple's sights a little lower is a complete load of crap! WHY should apple not try made make the number of mac users a little higher? Any damned company would do the same! If Dell or Microsoft was in apple's position the would not just sit on their ass and do nothing... no they would be out there trying to get people to use their products!

So leave if you have nothing good to say... and if you are going to criticize the mac, dont just slam it.
HoboPelican
Sharkbite86 wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
henrygl wrote:
.... Unfortunately, this one says the truth, and once again i worship the apple.


Laughing Freedom of religion! You are welcome to worship whatever you want. It's just funny how worshippers are always so darn sure THEY are right! Wink Facts are not needed! A solid criteria is not needed! Just hurl old info and belief and that is just good enough. Mac-iods really are a cult.

Wink Wink Wink


What is this?! Are you here to simply critisize us or do you have anything USEFUL to say? Thats the problem with anti-mac people, all criticize and no good points... You say we can "worship" whatever we want, but then turn right around and spit in our faces.


Lordy, I'll have to add humorless to the list. Anyway, I wasn't critiizing the mac, I was pointing out how macoids don't really use hard criteria for bragging. And that relates directly to the ad, which IS the point of the thread. <sigh>

Quote:
Your point by the way about setting apple sights a little lower is a complete load of crap! WHY should apple not try made make the number of mac users a little higher? Any damned company would do the same! If Dell or Microsoft was in apple's position the would not just sit on their *** and do nothing... no they would be out there trying to get people to use their products!

So leave if you have nothing good to say... and if you are going to criticize the mac, dont just slam it.


Defensive, isn't he? Bro, all I'm saying is that I didn't like the ad. Am I allowed that much? Or is this a Mac-ocracy? I'm not saying what is better, just pointing out how little real info is being used here. You all are pounding on the PC or windows (it goes back and forth), and I am just responding to them. Are you THAT insecure?
Sharkbite86
oh for the love of... so now im insecure eh? You have every right to criticize the mac but i think at this point you are criticizing the users. Im not willing to argue with you and i think this has gone a bit too far (not blaming you).

peace out man Wink
{name here}
Please, don't fight ladies. Bring your problems to comp.sys.mac.advocacy or comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy if you want to duke it out but here stick to the topic at hand.
HoboPelican
Sharkbite86 wrote:
oh for the love of... so now im insecure eh? You have every right to criticize the mac but i think at this point you are criticizing the users. Im not willing to argue with you and i think this has gone a bit too far (not blaming you).

peace out man Wink

Again, I say I am NOT knocking the Mac. Never have. It's the way Apple it advertises it AND the way Mac users get so territorial about it. Your explosion was just a great example of what I'm saying.

Sorry if you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

(edit at 4:47)
and I still hold that my posts DO relate the topic concerning the current Mac ads.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Again, I say I am NOT knocking the Mac. Never have. It's the way Apple it advertises it AND the way Mac users get so territorial about it. Your explosion was just a great example of what I'm saying.

Sorry if you didn't understand what I was trying to say.


Why should Mac users do this. Everytime something good comes out on mac. Such as a New Mac os that every likes the feature of. Some other company comes along a steals it.

This has happened many times. Everyone is trying to steal from Apple. If your not sitting at a Apple computer like me or some other on these forums your sitting at a computer that has something stolen from mac.

All OS use the GUI first invented buy mac.

Some company back when iMac first come out used the iMac design to try to make a replica so that people who like the design and like windows could get both together. hint if you like the design buy the origanal.
HoboPelican
Xeniczone wrote:

....
All OS use the GUI first invented buy mac.

Some company back when iMac first come out used the iMac design to try to make a replica so that people who like the design and like windows could get both together. hint if you like the design buy the origanal.


lol, sorry, man, I guess you are too young to remember the Alto, huh?
I think you'll find that the graphical user interface was first developed be Xerox back in 73. That was even modified by Xerox and others before Apple rolled out the Lisa. Mac was, what... maybe a year after that?

I don't blame you for not knowing those, but please don't go around saying everyone stole GUIs from the Mac. They'd been around for 10 years before the Mac hit the market.
Xeniczone
Xerox didn't have it released until 81. Lisa started in 79 and released in 83.

Sadly Xerox never took of. Even today they don't make computers. In fact they are bankruped.

Even so, it is fact that Bill gates got his GUI idea from Apple he even used to work their.
HoboPelican
Xeniczone wrote:
Xerox didn't have it released until 81. Lisa started in 79 and released in 83.

Sadly Xerox never took of. Even today they don't make computers. In fact they are bankruped.

Even so, it is fact that Bill gates got his GUI idea from Apple he even used to work their.


Not at all what I remember. This site seems to back me up.
http://toastytech.com/guis/guitimeline.html
Xerxo Parc released in 73,
Perq in '80
Star in '81
Lisa in '83
Mac in '84

If you have a better reference, I'd be glad to look.
HoboPelican
Found a little more detail at....
http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/lesson16b.html

Interesting to think about the old days....

Quote:
1964

- The first mouse-like pointing device is created by Douglas Engelbart at SRI International, and further developed at Xerox PARC in the 1970s.


1969

- Alan Kay develops the concept of GUI in his dissertation research at the University of Utah. The GUI concept is realized in his later work at Xerox PARC.
- Bell Labs developed the first frame buffer for storing and displaying 3-bit images. The frame buffer was an essential to the bitmapped technology of later GUIs.


1973

- The Alto, the first computer to have a modern graphical user interface, is born at Xerox PARC.
- Dick Shoup's "Superpaint" frame buffer application stores it's first video image. Although most of Xerox PARC's GUI research was on grayscale displays, Superpaint helped lead the way to color GUIs.


1974

- Dan Ingalls at PARC invents "BitBlt", a display algorithm that will make possible the development of such features of the modern GUI as overlapping screen windows and pop-up menus.
- Tim Mott and Larry Tesler at PARC begin work on Gypsy, the world's first user friendly word processing application using pop-up menus and icons. Gypsy was later to become Microsoft Word. Larry Tesler later moved to Apple and was one of the key members of the LISA development team.
- The first modern ball-mouse device is created by Ron Rider at PARC we he was inspired to flip a trackball device upside down and use it as a mouse.


1975

- the first major demonstration of a graphical user interface by PARC engineers to their colleagues on an Alto computer including icons, windows, and pop-up menus powered by BitBLT.


1977

- Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak found Apple computer. The Apple II personal computer does not have a GUI, but uses bitmapped raster graphics.
- The Alto personal computer and it's graphical user interface are presented to the Xerox sales force during "Futures Day" at the Xerox World Conference. The laser printer and computer networking are also introduced.
- The first portable personal computer, the Xerox Notetaker, is introduced along with the Dorado.


1979

- Steve Jobs and engineers from Apple visit Xerox PARC. They would later incorporate much of what they saw into the design of the Lisa and Macintosh.


1980

- first commercial distribution of the GUI in the Xerox STAR which introduced pointing and selection with the mouse. 9 IBM introduces it's PC running DOS, a non-graphical, command line operating system. The IBM PC would later be the main platform for Microsoft Windows.


1984

- the GUI is popularized by Apple computer with the Lisa and Macintosh.
- the Macintosh becomes the first successful mass-marketed personal computer with a GUI.


1985

- Microsoft Windows 1.0 is developed for use on IBM PCs, does not become popular until version 3.1


The main thing I wanted to point out is that the GUI had been existence for long before the Mac. Woz and Jobs saw the Xerox version about 4 years before the Lisa came out. Interestingly enough, according to this site, Windows was out a year later, making the GUI from Apple and M$ almost concurrent. (this doesn't sound right, anyone else have better info?)
Xeniczone
Their is something wrong with that. It clams Lisa was out in 84. It came out in 83.

Yes, but Xerox doesn't make computers anymore. Nor, did they make computer very long. The lost Operating system they made released in 96.
Now they are bankrupe.
HoboPelican
Xeniczone wrote:

Yes, but Xerox doesn't make computers anymore. Nor, did they make computer very long. The lost Operating system they made released in 96.
Now they are bankrupe.


The point, again, is that you accused M$ of stealing it from the Mac. Apple actually got the idea from Xerox and M$ came out with Windows just after that. That timing implies that M$ was working on it concurrently. Even if not concurrently, to say they stole it from Apple is just wrong. The tech was out there for almost a decade, Apple just "stole" it first.
{name here}
Apple did some stealing itself. Tabbed dialog boxes were first implimented by IBM's OS/2. RISC OS was the first OS to impliment a Taskbar/Dock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_vs._Microsoft

Desktop metaphors(items on the screen that relate to real world objects) seen on the mac and lisa were also applied by the Xerox Star before either existed:
http://toastytech.com/guis/guitimeline.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Star
http://www.thocp.net/hardware/xerox_star.htm

Xerox did in fact apply the first GUI. Here are a few articles dating that in 1973, PARC made the first GUI.
http://www.parc.xerox.com/about/history/default.html
http://www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/guidebook/articles/historical/thexeroxaltocomputer
Xeniczone
Hmm, that is interesting.

I'm not supprised that NeXT and Apple use a lot of the same features. Look at one of NeXT oses. It is an exact clone of Mac OS. Except it is for the NeXT computer. It was called Ra..... Something.

The Xerox thing is very insteresting.

They seem to have a High quality screen at 1024*768.

The thing I find really interesting is, in 81 Xerox released their OS. Looks similar to todays OS just with out color and useless graphic art. Then in 83 Apple released their first "real" OS. That is the same as the Xerox Simple without color and graphic effects.

Then in 85 Microsoft release their OS. Looking like crap and doesn't use a mouse. It might I haven't seen one with a mouse.

Quote:
The point, again, is that you accused M$ of stealing it from the Mac. Apple actually got the idea from Xerox and M$ came out with Windows just after that. That timing implies that M$ was working on it concurrently. Even if not concurrently, to say they stole it from Apple is just wrong. The tech was out there for almost a decade, Apple just "stole" it first.


Yes, but it is fact. When microsoft released their first 9x OS it was based of Apples Mac OS. WHY? Bill Gate used to work at Apple he even admits to liking their work. It has been said many times. What he did was took the OSes Menu Moved it too the bottom and called it the start menu. Then took the origanal Dock menu(I don't know if you have seen it) and put it as part as the start menu when you push start. So that the list of Apps will be hidden till you pushed start.

Though this isn't true for version 1-3.1 of Microsoft OS. They did get their Ideas from Apple in 9x.
HoboPelican
Xeniczone wrote:

The thing I find really interesting is, in 81 Xerox released their OS. Looks similar to todays OS just with out color and useless graphic art. Then in 83 Apple released their first "real" OS. That is the same as the Xerox Simple without color and graphic effects.

Then in 85 Microsoft release their OS. Looking like crap and doesn't use a mouse. It might I haven't seen one with a mouse.


This is getting old. You keep twisting the truth and can't seem to admit you were wrong.

Unless you can show otherwise, the references I posted indicate the first GUI was developed in 73. Apple Lisa in 84 and Windows in 85.

Why bring up "looks like crap"? The point is that you threw off WRONG info claiming M$ stole the idea of GUI from APPLE. That is incorrect. I really hate it when people throw of bad information and then try to run and hide from it. Some poor noob is gonna read your crap and believe it. That does a disservice to everybody. The Mac is a fine computer, it doesn't need tricks like this to justify itself.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:

Then in 85 Microsoft release their OS. Looking like crap and doesn't use a mouse. It might I haven't seen one with a mouse.

I actually downloaded an image of Windows 1.01. It uses a mouse if you have a PS/2 or Serial mouse, but it does look horrid.
Kd527
I love the new ads. I think their funny and good. That is one of my pet peeves about the name "PC". Because it is really OS specific, but PC in the general sense is usually synonymous with "Windows". (Also technically Macs are "Personal Computers" which would make them PCs as well.) But Linux does have viruses as well, just not as many as Windows.
{name here}
Quote:
That is one of my pet peeves about the name "PC". Because it is really OS specific, but PC in the general sense is usually synonymous with "Windows".

I know, but with that whole IBM, Intel, and Microsoft alliance back in the glory days Windows is synonymous with PC. It's irritating when people don't understand there's more to a PC than Windows. It's Linux, OS X, OS/2, BeOS, etc.
Quote:
But Linux does have viruses as well, just not as many as Windows.

So do macs. The only virus free system out there really is eComStation - viruses that were on there stopped being maufactured somewhere in the 80s because OS/2 was unpopular enough and deemed not worth a virus programmer's time.
Xeniczone
Windows has thousands of virueses.

Mac OS and Linux also have virues.

Mac used to have around 20-30 virues, but since their OS change 2 times since then they have dumped a lot of them.

So far their has been one discovered. It goes through iChat, but mac has changed it os again since then. Mac OS X can't run Mac OS Classic files. Mac OS X x86 can't run Mac OS and OS X powerpc files.

Good news is No viruses yet.

Bad news is they dumped the little software they already had. Now everything has to be recompiled to support x86.
Kd527
Quote:
Mac OS X can't run Mac OS Classic files. Mac OS X x86 can't run Mac OS and OS X powerpc files.


Well, those statements aren't exactly completely true, but close enough.

As long as you keep up to date with the latest OS and security updates, there shouldn't be a problem.

BTW Leap-A is not technically a virus, and you kinda had to go out of your way to make it do anything.
Blankboy
Xeniczone wrote:
Mac OS X x86 can't run Mac OS and OS X powerpc files.

...

Bad news is they dumped the little software they already had. Now everything has to be recompiled to support x86.
That statement is not true. Apple uses a program called "Rosetta" that allows PowerPC applications to run on the new Intel Macintosh computers.

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

I enjoy these commercials, even though I agree with previous posters when they say that the term "PC" was misused. They do have a little humor to them, though.
Xeniczone
Quote:
That statement is not true. Apple uses a program called "Rosetta" that allows PowerPC applications to run on the new Intel Macintosh computers.

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

I enjoy these commercials, even though I agree with previous posters when they say that the term "PC" was misused. They do have a little humor to them, though.


Well so your going to take a virues that downloaded its self on your computer and emulate it so it can distroy your computer?
surdy
Associating PC with WIndows os seems to be very natural looking at the way they have bound to each other, but it surely is UNFAIR. There is a large community of PC users running their nachines on LINUX.
Some time back not many people used linux , but with time its becoming more user friendly and many more people have started using LINUx.

I don't agree with the eqaution PC= Winodws OS

Anyways , when you are comparing two hardware products ,you gotto compare their performance hardware wise and not upon the softwares driving them. When one uses an OS like LINUX which can be used on both the platforms , preformance issue then reduces to hardware.

Anyways the ads are funny and like them as they in some way do some Microsoft bashing.
Xeniczone
no one likes to term PC. No one goes by the offical terms they go by what "the computer stupid" go by.

Apple commercial goes by PC because they want to attact "the computer stuid" If you used terms like windows they probably would have issues understanding what they say.[/quote]
chizeled
I am a avid Mac and PC user. These ads are funny and it seems they have fun making them. The ads are original. I like both, yes people are going to target the most popular platform with viruses and such. Mac had virus issues a while ago, the only reason it stopped because Mac aren't used in every infrastructure areound the world. I think that is terrorism right there and they shold be punish. Just my opinion though.
Xeniczone
Quote:
I am a avid Mac and PC user. These ads are funny and it seems they have fun making them. The ads are original. I like both, yes people are going to target the most popular platform with viruses and such. Mac had virus issues a while ago, the only reason it stopped because Mac aren't used in every infrastructure areound the world. I think that is terrorism right there and they shold be punish. Just my opinion though.


I think another reason it would stop is the platform switch 2 times since 2000.
chizeled
I ouwld think they would be vunerable now, but guess unix is pretty complicated to hack into.
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Mac vs. PC?
PC or MAC?
Mac vs Linux
Mac vs. PC
macbook pro?
About soul, body, ghost. What do you think about this?
MS Firefox
Why people hate Mac-OS (users)?
Mac vs PC
Why do people hate Apple?
Mac vs. PC (in 3D- and Movie-Composing)
How much did Microsoft pay Jerry Seinfeld??
Mac vs. PC ?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.