FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with tar.gz files

springbok
I cannot extract files. When I do I get a blank screen, no files are extracted at all. In the browser status bar is says that the process is done. When going back to direct admin I see no files that should have been extracted.

Is this a problem with my account only or do other people have the same problem?
SpellcasterDX
Are you using an FTP or are you trying to use DirectAdmin's upload thing?
wumingsden
springbok wrote:
I cannot extract files. When I do I get a blank screen, no files are extracted at all. In the browser status bar is says that the process is done. When going back to direct admin I see no files that should have been extracted.

Is this a problem with my account only or do other people have the same problem?

Other people have/are having the same problem. Nothing has probably been done about it because I haven't spoke to Bondings for a couple of days now. In the meantime I'd recommend using an FTP program or online FTP at www.web2ftp.com
mike_phi
Have you archived the files in DA or outside.

if you have archived them using DA's archive utility be aware of the directory structure as your filse might be extracting correctly but under a new subdirectory which can be found in your "root" directory as I have learned the archive tool in DA forces the directory structure so be sure to check this.

cheers Mic
wumingsden
mike_phi wrote:
Have you archived the files in DA or outside.

if you have archived them using DA's archive utility be aware of the directory structure as your filse might be extracting correctly but under a new subdirectory which can be found in your "root" directory as I have learned the archive tool in DA forces the directory structure so be sure to check this.

cheers Mic

This is not a possibilty as they cannot get to the extract screen.
ezekiel_rage
Has this been resolved yet?

I am trying to upgrade the CMS that i use for my site and it will really be of great convinience if the extract feature is working again.

When i first installed the CMS i am using, i had to upload all the files manually, using filezilla.

It's really not a very pleasant experience. I would not want to do it again, if possible

So please can somebody fix this?

Thanks in advance
mOrpheuS
I just tested this and was able to extract a .tar.gz file successfully in DirectAdmin.

If the file that you're trying to extract is available for download elsewhere, maybe I can test it out as well.
ezekiel_rage
mOrpheuS wrote:
I just tested this and was able to extract a .tar.gz file successfully in DirectAdmin.

If the file that you're trying to extract is available for download elsewhere, maybe I can test it out as well.

Thanks for looking into the problem we're having. I am trying to patch my joomla installation from 1.08 to 1.09.

I was also not able to extract the original installation in Direct Admin. So what i did was extract the files locally and had it uploaded via FTP using FileZilla.

I was hopg to just extract the update patch and be done with it. I would not want to risk breaking anything in my current joomla installation because of faulty FTP connection. So it would be ideal to extract the update patch ini the server itsefl. That way I dont have to worry about failed transfer of any file.

Thanks. I'll also try to extract the file again in a while.

Regards....

And keep up the good work.
ezekiel_rage
ezekiel_rage wrote:

Thanks. I'll also try to extract the file again in a while.

Regards....

And keep up the good work.

Just an update:

Nope, still cant unpack the tar archive.

I still get the same blank page after i click "extract".

Hope this will be fixed soon.

Thanks again
Mamsaac
I can extract the tar.gz from my Direct Admin. What server are you using?
ezekiel_rage
Mamsaac wrote:

I am also using Direct Admin therefore I think its safe to conclude that I am Hosted at server 2.

I am relatively new here, but I remember reading somewhere that Server 1 hosting provides CPanel.

I would love to have CPanel instewad of DirectAdmin. It seems to me that CPanel is more powerful or at least easier to use.

and I think it comes with fantastico...

and another update...

As of this posting, I still can't unpack tar.gz files in my account.

Thanks
wumingsden
ezekiel_rage wrote:
Mamsaac wrote:

I am also using Direct Admin therefore I think its safe to conclude that I am Hosted at server 2.

I am relatively new here, but I remember reading somewhere that Server 1 hosting provides CPanel.

I would love to have CPanel instewad of DirectAdmin. It seems to me that CPanel is more powerful or at least easier to use.

and I think it comes with fantastico...

and another update...

As of this posting, I still can't unpack tar.gz files in my account.

Thanks

Yes, Server 2 has DirectAdmina and Server 1 has cPanel. DA is for the more advanced user as in cPanel you click one button and a piece of software is installed - in my opinion you learn nothing this way - (cPanel also does come with Fantastico. DA can also come with installed scripts but it will slow the server down and take up a lot of disk space because people install stuff and don't un-install it afterwards Rolling Eyes

I suggest usinh www.web2ftp.com - it will not take that long to upload the files. They can un-tar/un-zip themselves automatically.
Scorpio
Quote:

Yes, Server 2 has DirectAdmina and Server 1 has cPanel. DA is for the more advanced user as in cPanel you click one button and a piece of software is installed - in my opinion you learn nothing this way -

Some if not most people prefer the easier way out and do not want to learn stuff.

Cant help them can we?

PS:Who is DirectAdmina, sounds like a russian lady's name
Bockman
For the users who preferr to have it pre-made, you can try and "hire" someone to do it for you.

/me looks at the marketplace

scorpio wrote:

Actually i think it's polish for Directadmin. (and NO, I ain't kidding this time. Google it down)

Be Well Cool
Scorpio
Bockman wrote:
For the users who preferr to have it pre-made, you can try and "hire" someone to do it for you.

/me looks at the marketplace

scorpio wrote:

Actually i think it's polish for Directadmin. (and NO, I ain't kidding this time. Google it down)

Be Well Cool

Polish! Give me a break

Wumsingsden is not polish, he is english(i guess)
Bockman
did you google for it or not? (you can also use search in the forum, you'll find severall references)

Be Well Cool
Scorpio
Bockman wrote:
did you google for it or not? (you can also use search in the forum, you'll find severall references)

Be Well Cool

Well since you tell I googled it.

I didnt understand one word of it

Wait, ... I dont know polish

Well, anyway, here goes the result

Here is the result
genchan
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I post it here. I am having the same problem as well. I tried extracting .tar.gz in my file manager in Direct Admin (on server 2) and got a blank screen.

I tried a couple of times and same blank screen. Any suggestions on how to solve it?

Please help.
Technaut
it's not just DA thats having a problem extracting .tar.gz's, i tried a few tricks of my own, and they didn't work.

i used the below code to test for archive utilities on the server:
Code:
<?php
foreach ( array('tar','gtar','unzip','gunzip') as $bin) {
    exec("whereis $bin", $ret);
    print join(', ', $ret).'<br>';
}
?>

then i used the below code to attempt to extract the archive using gunzip:
Code:
<?php
exec('unzip wordpress-2.0.5.tar.gz',$ret);
?>

it gave me the same whitescreen that every else is having. so maybe it's not a problem with DA, but something else?
wumingsden
Technaut wrote:
it's not just DA thats having a problem extracting .tar.gz's, i tried a few tricks of my own, and they didn't work.

i used the below code to test for archive utilities on the server:
Code:
<?php
foreach ( array('tar','gtar','unzip','gunzip') as $bin) {
    exec("whereis $bin", $ret);
    print join(', ', $ret).'<br>';
}
?>

Code:
<?php
?>

it gave me the same whitescreen that every else is having. so maybe it's not a problem with DA, but something else?

Thats weird, it has been working fine for me. Does it matter what size the package is?
Bondings
Technaut wrote:
Code:
<?php
?>

You should use gunzip in that code segment.

If the archive is pretty big, then yes it can time out and cause a white screen. Also if you are accessing DA with the cp.frih.net url, then not everything is working.
ChrisCh
A while ago, when I tried extracting a .tar.gz file using DiractAdmin on port 80, it didn't work! I then logged in to DirectAdmin using port 2222, and it worked! So if you were using the http://cp.frih.net address, try using http://cp.frih.net:2222 instead Smile
swizzy
.zip cant be extracted with DA... this is very irksome sometimes... coz some net apps only allow .zip
ChrisCh
swizzy wrote:
.zip cant be extracted with DA... this is very irksome sometimes... coz some net apps only allow .zip

Smile we were actually talking about extracting tar.gz files, and not zip files Smile if a particular program is only available in zip file, try extracting it on your local computer and using FTP to upload the extracted files Smile