FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can't route on WIFI

steveadams617
Synopsis of long post: Laptop connects fine at my house, but not at internet cafe after re-install of operating system. Shows a normal connection, but won't route

Hi. Hope this topic isn't too tedious. I'm helping a friend with his laptop and connecting with WIFI at an internet cafe.

He totally messed up his computer with a virus and I re-installed Windows 98 SE for him and downloaded all patches and ran windows update a bunch of times.

I installed the PCMCIA wifi g card and software. It connects to my network at home just fine. It connects to the network at the cafe and shows a normal signal. I can't route to any websites there, however.

I have not enabled windows logon or file or print sharing. Could this make a difference? Is there anything about Win 98 that could be causing the problem? They don't run any encryption or require a login at the cafe. The card worked there before the computer crash, but had Windows XP on it. It ran VERY slowly with that big operating system on such an old laptop and I'd hate to have to put it on. It took like 20 minutes to boot and shut down.
nealio1000
steveadams617 said:Synopsis of long post: Laptop connects fine at my house, but not at internet cafe after re-install of operating system. Shows a normal connection, but won't route

Hi. Hope this topic isn't too tedious. I'm helping a friend with his laptop and connecting with WIFI at an internet cafe.

He totally messed up his computer with a virus and I re-installed Windows 98 SE for him and downloaded all patches and ran windows update a bunch of times.

I installed the PCMCIA wifi g card and software. It connects to my network at home just fine. It connects to the network at the cafe and shows a normal signal. I can't route to any websites there, however.

I have not enabled windows logon or file or print sharing. Could this make a difference? Is there anything about Win 98 that could be causing the problem? They don't run any encryption or require a login at the cafe. The card worked there before the computer crash, but had Windows XP on it. It ran VERY slowly with that big operating system on such an old laptop and I'd hate to have to put it on. It took like 20 minutes to boot and shut down.

nealio1000: Are you sure that the cafe' has wirless g routers? You should probably ask the people there.
corey
g can work with b a b speed usually.

Perhaps you have a Linksys router and they have a dlink? (for example). One has a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 an the other is 192.168.0.1. That might be what's going on. Reconfiguring the network settings with the new gateway address might work. The primary or secondary DNS also has to be found for website addresses to resolve.

Do I understand you right in that the connection at the cafe is established? No websites resolve? You may need to find some DNS servers on the internet to input into the DNS fields so that your friend doesn't have to adjust the settings everytime he goes somewhere with his laptop.
abhinav_shah
Reconfigure the network.

That's all I can say...

Abhinav Shah
Muscae
Do you have DHCP enabled? or you have your custom ip entered?
If you want to use internet caffe internet you mast enable DHCP auto ip address selection.