FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to make the boot menu!

webbone
I have two os in my computer,win2003 and suse linux 10.1
But there have some error on win2003 start and use,I want to reinstall win2003,But afraid lost the boot menu of grub,What I will to do?

Sorry for my poor english!
deroga
What will happen most likely when reinstall windows. Is that the grub on the MBR will be removed. Not to worry though. What you need is live-cd, rescue-cd or what ever with possibility install grub. Once reinstalled the windows, just boot up one of the cds and reinstall grub. Here is one example with similar problem: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2136328.
lSaKenl
Easy, if you installed the grub into the MBR windows will delete it, but all you gotta do is get your suse install cd, and boot the setup, deselect everything but the grub, and it will install only the grub ^^

Hope it helps you
Shirish
Ya man when u install XP on grub
the grub is gone
though you can reinstall Grub

there is a menu.lst in boot floppy in boot directory
with contents like

Code:

title   Akanksha OS
        root    (fd0)
        kernel  /kernel.bin
        foreground=000000
        splashimage=(fd0)/boot/grub/debian_cooleye.xpm.gz

So you can take a grub manual and make neccessary changes to your menu.lst
to get a perfectly running OS back..
ocalhoun
SuSE automaticly places the bootloader in the MBR. If windows is present, this will kill it. When you install it along-side windows, you have to tell it not to put the bootloader in the MBR (There's an option somwhere).
Probably the easiest way to solve your problem would be to re-install both OS's (windows first) and make sure to not put the boot loader in the MBR. If you have data you don't want to loose and can't rescue, then you might consider just repairing the windows instalation with it's disk, and then re-installing (and probably re-configuring) grub.
kernel_geek
I would just get the gentoo live CD or similar mount your suse partitions
chroot in and then type grub

you will get a little terminal and type

root (hd0,0) (this is an example of where your / boot is stored)
setup (hd0) (Install the mbr alter acordingly)
quit

and then reboot but if they are on two hard disks then force boot into your SUSE disk get to root shell and do the same (this will only work if the SUSe is on the disk without the mbr)

It might be easier to do the above in knoppix if your a gui freak
Nathan69
reinstall windows..then just play around with buttons lol like ido Smile
kernel_geek
also once you have chrooted, you could just run yast and use the freindly control pannel, and you can actually boot it by typing rc, the above post, asumes that you have a /boot/grub/grub.conf, file written
tamilchild
Update your linux kernal with your linux cd. This will automatically rewrite your grub boot.
Laughing
tumpat
you can used software named windows key..

try find it in this site...

http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm?id=winkey_7_11_2368

i thinks it free....