FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Japanese literature

hades9366
I've been reading Japanese authors (Translated into English only. I gave up on learning Kanji when I found out that a lot of my Japanese friends still struggle with it.) for quite a while now but I can't really call myself well-read in Japanese literaure because I'm sure there are a lot of good Japanese authors that I've never heard of and probably a lot that haven't been translated.

I've read a few of the "great, traditional, historic, classical" authors like Yukio Mishima and Ryunosuke Akutagawa

I've read a bit of popular lit. fiction like Haruki Murakami, Ryu Murakami, Dazai Osamu etc.

And I've read a bit of pop culture/otaku fiction like Koushun Takami's Battle Royale (which I really liked)

My favourite Japanese author at the moment is probably Ryu Murakami. I like Haruki Murakami a lot but I can only read so much of him at a time, his measured atmospheric pace wears me down after a while.

Are there any other fans of Japanese literature out there? What have you been reading and who should I try next?
Traveller
A couple of suggestions:
  • Ayako Miura - especially Shiokari Pass and the autobiographical The Wind Is Howling
  • Miyamoto Musashi - Book of Five Rings
hades9366
Yeah I read Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings and also a historical fiction about Musashi, which funnily enough was called Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. That was okay too.

I've heard the name Ayako Miura somewhere but haven't read anything by her. I'll see if I can track something down by her. Thanks.