FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Something's Wrong

william
Whenever I edit an .htm or .html file, an error page comes up stating that the page can not be displayed. Why is this?
wumingsden
william wrote:
Whenever I edit an .htm or .html file, an error page comes up stating that the page can not be displayed. Why is this?

Try in a couple of minutes time, do you still get the error message? How big is the file that your trying to edit?
william
I've been trying for the past hour. The file is fairly small. It's a few kilobytes.

EDIT: I accidently stated the wrong error message. It says the page can not be found.
wumingsden
william wrote:
I've been trying for the past hour. The file is fairly small. It's a few kilobytes.

EDIT: I accidently stated the wrong error message. It says the page can not be found.

See whether this solves your problem:

• First rename the file that you want to edit (for exmaple if its named index.html rename it to index1.html)

• When the file has been renamed edit it as you wish. When it comes time to save your changes instead of saving it as index1.html save it as index.html (for example).

• This will then hopefully create a new file with the filename you want yet still have your old copy.

• Check if the file is what you wanted, if so delete your old copy.

Does this work?

Can you edit the file via FTP?

P.S - Is the file an index.html, index.php, etc, etc, file?
william
Um, it still doesn't work. The file is an index.htm. One thing I'm confused about is that when I do a small edit, it works fine. I added a script and it does not work.
wumingsden

• What script did you add ?
  • If you remove it can it save fine ?
  • Have you tried editing the file via FTP ?
william
1. It's a script for a password.
2. It doesn't always, but it usually saves fine.
3. Not yet.

I think it may be the password script.
wumingsden
What does the password script do ? Does it password protect the file so only a few people may see it ? If so I'd use the built-in features that DA/cPanel offer rather than this script. However, I am almost positive that the file will have no problems when saving via FTP - I recommend using www.web2ftp.com which is a cool online FTP site.
william
The password script just password protects one page. It's a single username and password.

EDIT: I just used the FTP and it worked! Thanks!
wumingsden
Your Welcome. I think the problem is in the core of DA as a number of members have had the same problem, this only happens sometimes though and in all the cases I've seen they have tried to update their index page; I don't think the password script helped matters though. If you have the same problems with the same file then just edit in via FTP.

I'm glad that it has now worked as I can now go sleep Very Happy -locked-