FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


The DaVinci code this the DaVinci code that....





Blaster
Is it just me or does this now belong in like 6 sections here. Well lets see. Movies and television, Literature, andPhilosophy and Religion. Ok so that is only three. But my point is that are we hearing to much about the DaVinci code? Really they made a movie about it. I think that there is too much being said about this. All these kids are reading it in my grade and all. Really what is so interesting about this book? Why do people care to much? I personaly dont' care at all. Thats all i hear about is "The DaVinci code this the DaVinci code that".

I think the whole thing was taken to far. 13 and 14 year olds reading it. Now come on people.

So my question is do you think this is over populated?
Hogwarts
Not really, I'm only 13 (Almost 14) and read it last year (When I was 12). It's a good book! Admit it! Then I've also read Angels and Demons etc. They are good books!
Blaster
I just think there is too much hype over it. They already got it over in russia and all. I just think that too much is being put into this. The writer is taking people over to easily. They will belive that but when people watch this people dont' really pay any intrest in it.
Hogwarts
Blaster wrote:
I just think there is too much hype over it. They already got it over in russia and all. I just think that too much is being put into this. The writer is taking people over to easily. They will belive that but when people watch this people dont' really pay any intrest in it.


The thing that I think that there is far too much hype about is the Beaconsfield miners (In Australia). They were trapped underground for 14 days and now they are living it up. They got paid $2,600,000 dollars for an exclusive on a tv show... And the tv reporters are still raving about them.

Besides, as long as it intrests people for at least a while its good. Also, it is promoting literature to people. It's all good.
Miniwood
Thanks Blaster, that 911 movie was really interesting, and relevant to today.

Too much Da Vinci code? I agree. It's a conspiracy theory that has been proved to be based on the work of a minor French con-man in the 1970's. Brown himself says it is a work of fiction but people want to believe it is fact.

I guess 911 was only five years ago and too uncomfortable for people to question. The Da Vinci code is fiction based on a (IMO) fictional character from a book written 2000 years ago. Fantasies are much easier to deal with than reality. That's the way humans are.
Mamsaac
I don't care about it being famous.

what I hate is that people is enough stupid to think that the propositions of the book are real. They are BS, plain as that. It's already prooven to be just fiction.
lSaKenl
Of course is over populated, lets c, it is just due to a "sickness" that every one suffers

let's put it this way, if your mom says "do not drink beer" that causes you to want to drink beer.

if mom says "do your homework!" and you were about to do it, then, you dont want to anymore

at this way, think about it, catholic religion marked the davincci code as a forbidden book, what's gonna happen? everyone want to read why the hell is it forbbiden. that's it.

i started to read the book, the book just sucked, that's it, it is a bad book, with bad narrations.

the content isnt very good so, if everything that you want from this book, is to know the truth about religion, just look for the scripts of jesus, his writtings, that's it, look for the real story of adan & eva, there was a "lilith", an anime serie talks about this so much, that's why it became famous. also you can look for information about the religion, the internet is full of bad critics to it, davinci code isnt the best way to read about it, in my opinion, the davincci code is the worst book i've ever read.


Quote:
what I hate is that people is enough stupid to think that the propositions of the book are real. They are BS, plain as that. It's already prooven to be just fiction.


I understand you, i live in mexico so, 90% of people belives what religion says, but i gotta say that you're wrong, it isnt proved that it is fiction, in the books says that it is, but, research for it, also, here in mexico, there was a discovery channel special program about it, and it said that it is proved that many things of the book are real ^^
Blaster
I see what you are saying about how it is like we can't read it so lets. So really it is like a uhh i am a bad boy type thing. What has our world come too? Also i agree that it is over populated. I read like a little and it just sucked. So i droped it. (before the craze it was at my house so i picked it up) Good thing i dont' really follow anything with religon. I dont' even know what religion i am.
ricrose322
i didn't think it was that good.
Idoru
Well, Blaster, my friends started talking about it, and I was sceptical. Then
they claimed it had a point, but it wasn't enough to convince me. Then my
father asked me if I'd read it and lent me a copy. Along with that he gave
me 'Angels and demons'.

They where at my place quite a while before they caught my interest, but
since I commute to work a couple of hours a day they came at hand. I
started out with the code, and found it at least semi-good, written in a
fashion that tends getting the reader want to continue. Apart from that,
there wasn't to much new...

Then I gave Angels a shot, beliving it was the second book, but I got it
wrong - It's the same!

Same fashion of writing, almost identical story, and it made me drop the
code from any esteem aswell. But as has been said, we all love fiction,
just as long as it's far enough. If anything should have been center of a
hype for conspiracy, it's 'The Illuminatus', by Robert Anton Wilson and
Robert Shea. Written in the 60's and a nice twist.

So yes, the code is far to overrated.
Miniwood
Idoru wrote:
If anything should have been center of a
hype for conspiracy, it's 'The Illuminatus', by Robert Anton Wilson and
Robert Shea. Written in the 60's and a nice twist.


I agree with Idoru, these are great books and treat their conspiracy theories with a great deal of humour. Also look out for 'The History Of The Early Illuminati Trilogy' which were written by Robert Anton Wilson after the publication of 'The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail' (the source of most of Brown's book although he denied it in court and won). These early Illuminati books brilliantly, and comically, skewer the conspiracy theory style of Brown, Von Daniken and all the other loonies.
Jayfarer
Oh no. 13 and 14 year olds are reading books! Surely, that is a sign of things getting out of hand.
Blaster
Yea i see what you are saying Idoru. My friend read both of them books and he was saying how they where similiar and stuff. I am starting to wounder if that is the same author. The only way you could get me to read that book is with the right amount of cash. Wink

And yes sadly us 13 and 14 year olds are reading. Who says i do though Wink
Scorpio
Same Author?

Which are the books are you comparing blast?

Quote:
The Illuminatus', by Robert Anton Wilson and
Robert Shea. Written in the 60's and a nice twist.


dan brown was born in 1964 and he obviously is not part of this book

About the holy blood.... the identities of the 3 authors are very well known, so there is no need to speculate
04S07
I think the movie's quite over-rated...
hack_man_
I am 14 and I see nothing wrong with the Da Vinci Code, it is the best way to spread a long lost message. I would see the movie if the UAE gov hadnt cut like 45 from it! I have read all the books and think that they are great!
caroline
The books by themselves are good, they deserve the attention they're getting. But still, all three of his books are EXACTLY the same, so the series as a whole does not deserve all this attention.
Not even Harry Potter is this repetitive...
XLax
I liked the book, though I found Angels and Demons better. The movie was amazing, I find, and not overrated. Although I did enjoy Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress" the most
bdoneck
The Da Vinci code is simply an idea that someone had about Da Vinci's work. Whether or not the idea is true, nobody will ever know, but I see no harm in reading the book or watching the movie it is simply notifying a person of the idea that maybe the bible is wrong, maybe it's all a cover up. we will never know this, but there is nothing wrong with the amount of publicity on this idea
Blaster
But my point is that people belive this stuff. I can't stand people that are like this. Stay with more current issuses before that. Its sad more people belive in that then they do in the 911 thing i posted above. Now is that a problem or what? Current events are more important then that.
XLax
Quote:
there is nothing wrong with the amount of publicity on this idea - bdoneck

True, there's a lot of publicity on the idea that the bible is true, I don't beleive that there shouldn't be any counter-publicity.

Quote:
But my point is that people belive this stuff. I can't stand people that are like this. - Blaster

Are you saying that you don't beleive that the bible is true or that the ideas against it are true? Or are you saying that you don't care since we should worry about the present...
Blaster
not all about the present. But more then we are. I never have read the bible or anything though. So it is hard to really say. But i think more people should look at today then yesterday. Its sad to hear people dont' care about our nation that much. (that is the US). Like people care more about american idle then who is our priesient. (More people voted in that then in the 2004 priesdental election. So what i am saying is that we need to be looking more at today and the future then yesterday and the past.
XLax
I agree with what you're saying, the future is more important than the past.

Note that when you're voting for an Idol show you can vote as many times as you want, so I find it hard to beleive that more "people" voted rather than the fact that there were more "votes" altogether. Hope you get what I mean.
Blaster
Yea i guess. But i thought you could only vote 4 times or something crazy like that. Its still pretty bad that something like that happend though. But yes prestent before the past that is what i have to say. We need to worry more about today then yesterday as i have been saying. Other wise there be no tomorrow.
guissmo
Um... The Church feels that Da Vinci Code will boggle the minds of people and change their faith whatsoever. I'm really getting tired of all those priests spending half of the Homily time talking about Da Vinci Code isn't true because blah blah blah... They shouldn't really talk about it that way because that will urge more people to watch/read it so that they can relate to the Homily. I'm really getting tired of the talk.

BTW, Was it R18 on other countries too?
XLax
Actually, my friend's uncle, who is a priest, spoke in one of his sermons about that movie and encouraged the people at his church to go see it. I know there are a lot of beleivers that try to get people not to go see this kind of movie or read this kind of book, but there are also those who beleive that the people are smart enough to realise that this is a movie. It is said that The DaVinci Code is based on facts, but the facts still leave it up to the viewer to decide whether it tells the truth or not.
Scorpio
XLax wrote:
Actually, my friend's uncle, who is a priest, spoke in one of his sermons about that movie and encouraged the people at his church to go see it. I know there are a lot of beleivers that try to get people not to go see this kind of movie or read this kind of book, but there are also those who beleive that the people are smart enough to realise that this is a movie. It is said that The DaVinci Code is based on facts, but the facts still leave it up to the viewer to decide whether it tells the truth or not.


The veracity may or may not be decided by people of the world, but since it is mentioned that it is fiction, we must assume that it is untrue and watch the film
jongoldsz
I think the Da Vinci code is a bad book. If you read Angels & Demons and then the Da vinci code you will understand that it is very similar. Luckily for Dan Brown people read the Da Vinci code first, so they think it is an awesome book.
mceejaydee
I'm 13 and I want to read it because of the fact that i'm curious. I guess that's why.
Blaster
XLax wrote:
Actually, my friend's uncle, who is a priest, spoke in one of his sermons about that movie and encouraged the people at his church to go see it. I know there are a lot of beleivers that try to get people not to go see this kind of movie or read this kind of book, but there are also those who beleive that the people are smart enough to realise that this is a movie. It is said that The DaVinci Code is based on facts, but the facts still leave it up to the viewer to decide whether it tells the truth or not.


Yea that is true. You must go there with an open mind. If you already belive it is true then you have your mind set up. Even if you do look for things in it that would suggest that it wasn't.

Yes the book is just like Angels & Demons so i heard. I also heard that Angels & Demons is a better book the The Da Vinci Code.
Ellosha
I read Angels & Demons before The Da Vinci Code, and still managed to enjoy both. Saying that they are the same plot is wrong, though. While they are very similar, especially in the beginning, if one were to read both books all the way through, one would see the differences. Personally, I found them to be well written, though I recommend Deception Point over both of them, I enjoyed it much more.

The reason I feel it is recieving too much publicity is from two ends. On one hand the Catholic Church is against it, and many zealous people from the church are making sure people know that, publicly. Which makes people more interested. On the other hand there are those who believe it to be true, even though it is a work of fiction, and because of a combination of, those who defend it as fact, the Church, and the fact that the book seems possible the book not only has a movie, but several TV specials exploring the story.
XLax
I haven't read Deception Point.. Do you think it's better than Digital Fortress? I found that one amazing.
Mamsaac
lSaKenl wrote:
Of course is over populated, lets c, it is just due to a "sickness" that every one suffers

let's put it this way, if your mom says "do not drink beer" that causes you to want to drink beer.

if mom says "do your homework!" and you were about to do it, then, you dont want to anymore

at this way, think about it, catholic religion marked the davincci code as a forbidden book, what's gonna happen? everyone want to read why the hell is it forbbiden. that's it.

i started to read the book, the book just sucked, that's it, it is a bad book, with bad narrations.

the content isnt very good so, if everything that you want from this book, is to know the truth about religion, just look for the scripts of jesus, his writtings, that's it, look for the real story of adan & eva, there was a "lilith", an anime serie talks about this so much, that's why it became famous. also you can look for information about the religion, the internet is full of bad critics to it, davinci code isnt the best way to read about it, in my opinion, the davincci code is the worst book i've ever read.


Quote:
what I hate is that people is enough stupid to think that the propositions of the book are real. They are BS, plain as that. It's already prooven to be just fiction.


I understand you, i live in mexico so, 90% of people belives what religion says, but i gotta say that you're wrong, it isnt proved that it is fiction, in the books says that it is, but, research for it, also, here in mexico, there was a discovery channel special program about it, and it said that it is proved that many things of the book are real ^^



errhhhh, I live in mexico too. Do some GOOD research and don't just believe what DC says. Trust me, you can just go for a channel on subjects like this one. I've read many books on the subjects and I assure you: 95% of the things they say are not real.
ryzlei
FYI people dan brown is being sue'd for copyright infringment because there was a previous author that had that same story line and same progression of the story the only difference from dan brown's novel is there name's


and by the way i fell asleep when i watched the movie


i would rather have liked for Angels and Demons to be on a movie rather than the Da vinci Code

Angels and Demons is much more exciting and hard to let go when you read the book
Blaster
I figured that was going to happen soon or a later. Like i said i heard Angles and Deamons is a much better book then The Da Vinci Code. They should have made the movie on Angles and Deamons not on The Da Vinci Code. By the sounds of the post above me my friends are right when they say it was better.
Soulfire
I do want to read it, to see what all the hype is about (despite the fact that it is slanderous towards God). It's important to keep in mind to everyone who has surfed the internet about it, read the book, seen the movie, or dabbled in any other way with "The DaVinci Code" that it's fiction.

The problem comes in when the author, Dan Brown, portrays his opinion to be truth. He also attempts to twist historical "facts" around his point of view to make it seem logical, and sells it off for fact.

In reality, he is just a subscriber to an alternate theory that conspiracy-hunters think they have uncovered in the Catholic Church (which, this goes without saying, but there is no conspiracy). These conspiracy-hunters are so determined to uncover these "cover ups" in the Church that they lose touch with reality.

The basic theory (I use the term theory loosely, because there is NO evidence to back it up, only circumstantial things) is that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene and they had a child.
Blaster
Yes that fiction is a big part of it. People have to realize that this is fake. Oh and me saying i am female is a fact. But a false fact. So it could apper to be a fact but really be a false fact so it can be a fact just that is is not a true fact. Yea i know it is confuesing. Wink

EDIT: omg i just saw this on a comercial. They have a video game about it now. So it can go here too That is ridiculas.
Tiger
It can be boring or even annoying to have something publicized everywhere. It's the same with Harry Potter. The thing is that it's really struck a cord with people.

The fact that the church lied to people in the past only increases peoples interest in the possibility of there being some truth in the story. That's human nature and it can't be changed.

At the end of the day everyone will take from it what they want and what best suits them. For those of us who live in democracies it's a case of live and let live!
BrianElliott0218
Mamsaac wrote:
I don't care about it being famous.

what I hate is that people is enough stupid to think that the propositions of the book are real. They are BS, plain as that. It's already prooven to be just fiction.


Get over it... People like you whining about it is what has brought more attention to the book than people like me (who have just enjoyed it for the story and the good read). You have to bring up that it's "prooven to be just fiction." ????? Novels ARE fiction! You read Superman novels (yes they have Superman novels and Batman) and think the characters are real? I hope not...

Novels are fiction. That anyone should get upset about the premise of the story means that it threatens them. Do you feel threatened by someone changing the idea of your faith? Read about your faith a little more. There were several meetings of religious leaders over the years that were all about rewriting the Bible to make sure there were no inconsistencies that might throw the faithful into a loss of faith.

That isn't fiction, and actually there are several historical truths that Dan Brown put in his novel. Not all speculation and fiction. So, though many parts have been decried by Rome as incorrect, there are other parts that are true.

Enjoy,
~BE
Afaceinthematrix
I read it a few years back when it first came out. I found it to be really interesting and entertaining. Of course, I'm not 14.
Vrythramax
BrianElliott0218 wrote:
Get over it... People like you whining about it is what has brought more attention to the book than people like me (who have just enjoyed it for the story and the good read). You have to bring up that it's "prooven to be just fiction." ????? Novels ARE fiction! You read Superman novels (yes they have Superman novels and Batman) and think the characters are real? I hope not...

Novels are fiction. That anyone should get upset about the premise of the story means that it threatens them. Do you feel threatened by someone changing the idea of your faith? Read about your faith a little more. There were several meetings of religious leaders over the years that were all about rewriting the Bible to make sure there were no inconsistencies that might throw the faithful into a loss of faith.

That isn't fiction, and actually there are several historical truths that Dan Brown put in his novel. Not all speculation and fiction. So, though many parts have been decried by Rome as incorrect, there are other parts that are true.

Enjoy,
~BE



Maybe you should get some rest or something, this topic was 2 years old when you stepped in calling people whiners. There are many topics still in the database (in other words....OLD) in the literature forum (where this belongs) that can be brought up. This topic however has run it's course.

BTW...not all novels are fiction some are non-fiction, like biographies or simply true stories that are "novelized"....but not untrue or even fictionalized for book sales.

Please try to play nice. Smile

-closed-
Related topics
De da vinci code
best booke in your mind
Da Vinci Code
Da Vinci Code
Authors that don't suck.
Great Books (series) banned by the pope.
Classic Books
Your favourite book (official)
Which book changed YOUR life ;)
[OFFICIAL] Favourite Author
Any Dan Brown Fans?
DAN BROWN's THE DAVINCI CODE. DO YOU KNOW A LITERARY REVIEW?
De Da Vinci Code ('t boek)
Angels and Demons VS. The DaVinci Code
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.