FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Just-In-Time Debugger / Won't stop bugging me!

Petee
Okay, whenever I run certain prorgrams on my computer this comes up and crashes the program.

I do not know why this is happening, I didn't knowingly put this debugger thing on my computer. It talks about Visual Studio, I only tried a few VS Express 2005 Beta's, then removed them an put on the full thing of VS C++, then removed that too (thinking it might solve the problem, which it didn't). However, I'm pretty sure that it just suddenly started happening when I still had the beta's on. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I have Windows XP if that helps at all.
ocalhoun
Does that message appear when running programs you've made? Or does it happen when running any old program?
Petee
Just any program. It seems to sometimes just randomly say a program. I've several times had it say svhost.exe, and explorer.exe as well, while the computer was just sitting idle.
IceCreamTruck
Try reinstalling the VB beta, and in the options turn off verbose error checking. Seems that when it uninstalled the software it didn't remove the registry entry that governs what happens when there is a run-time error. I know that these programs allow you to run verbose error checking and run-time error checking so that you can debug your own programs, but it also comes up when other programs create an error.

I too installed a compiler and turned on error checking and debugging, but I reformatted my system not too long after that, so I didn't really have to do anything about this issue.

Reinstall the software and make sure that you turn these features off the right way, and maybe that will help fix the issue. Otherwise you will have to get into the registry and fix what has been done to error handling.

Registry fixing programs might be able to handle this problem too, but they aren't going to notice what doesn't seem to be a problem to them, but that is another option. Maybe you'll find a registry fixer that will check to see if the debugger is installed at which point it will notice that there is none, if you truely uninstalled the programs completely, then a registry fix will proove that the links in the registry for debugging are, in fact, invallid.

I would also look the problem up in Microsoft Support Base, and see what they have to say about this issue. Remember, you probably aren't the only one with this error, and microsoft answers many questions once in their knowledge base, but can't make sure everyone goes there to look it up.

I will also try to research this problem further, but it might be a few days before I get back to you. hang in there, and try to stop generating bugs that crash your system. Smile
Petee
Sweet, thanks man. I'm reinstalling the stuff now. I'll report back on if it worked or not later.
IceCreamTruck
Petee wrote:
Sweet, thanks man. I'm reinstalling the stuff now. I'll report back on if it worked or not later.

Bear in mind that this might not work. You take a risk when installing beta software, and it is that it hasn't been tested fully, or that there are known bugs...usually the latter.

Also remember to try registry doctor or something like it. If not do some research on what registry entries govern run-time errors, and what defaults should be in place.

When all else fails...reformat and start over. Hey at least you'll be able to get the system closer to perfect the next time (how I choose to look at it when it happens to me).

I will watch to see what happens because this issue has sparked my interest. Let me know if you aren't able to change these settings after reinstalling and then modifying options before uninstalling. I will try to help look up some stuff on registry values and such. Let me know.
Bones
Delete the 2 following reg keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug\Debugger

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\DbgManagedDebugger

That will set the default debugger behaviour to the way is was previous to installing VS 2005.
Make backups of the keys first though (right click the key and select export, which will save a copy of it to your drive, you can then double click on the saved key to re-import it back into the registry)
Also, if you havent edited the registry before, you might want to talk to someone who has, as it can cause big problems if you happen to do something wrong.
abhinav_shah
Even I faced this error. It's due to VB. Check the options in VB.

Abhinav Shah
Petee
Okay, I've reinstalled the full versions of VB and VC++. I also deleted the registry entries (before I reinstalled VB & VC++ of course). Now what happens is I just get a regular "program needs to close" thing with send or don't send. So, I'm at least getting somewhere, sort of. Now I can at least send error reports and possibly get help or updates to fix it. Thanks again guys for all your help Very Happy.
Bones
When do you get the error reports? and what is the name of the program that Windows is having trouble ending?
Petee
Never mind, I found out what was causing the program to stop working. However, another program that I was having trouble with now says

Would I just have to find and download a runtime file from Microsoft or something to fix this?
IceCreamTruck
ATIMMC.exe is your graphics card's multi-media center!! Older versions are not completely compatible with WinXP so go to ATI and get the new multi-media center download, and this problem should be resolved.

http://www.ati.com - and input your graphics card S/N or model number and version so you can grab the latest downloads.

Hope this helps with latest issue. Glad reinstalling VB helped a little on the first one.
Petee
I did that already, right after I reinstalled VB, still get the runtime error.
IceCreamTruck
My roomate is sitting down to my desktop as I'm typing this, and it has an ATI radeon card that I had a horrible time getting to work, and then to top it all off I had to reinstall the opperation system and reinstall the whole control center, and the graphics drivers to boot for a second time after working hours to get it right the first time.

Here's the deal. You have to follow installation instructions from ATI to a perfect degree as they warn that installing in the wrong order will cause problems. I'm not sure what it is anymore as there is only so much room in my head for quirky computer details, and I've just bought a new laptop that I had a horrible time upgrading to XP pro, so here what's I suggest!

Go to ATI and grab the latest graphics drivers, the newest multi-media center for you card, and the console for your card and review the installation instructions. You should install the graphics drivers first as the other two packages might include drivers but they won't install if the version you have is newer than what they are trying to install. Then install the console (not sure what ATI calls this anymore), and then the big multi-media center, and remember if your card isn't a TV, Video Capture, or otherwise crazy card that you probably don't need all of these packages even tho ATI will try to get you to install them.

Good luck, and remember to read everything before you make a move, and make sure you have the right installation packages for your OS (win XP home/pro) and the right set for your card, and don't install anything just because they say to because they want your computer to display ATI all over the place, and you can do without the tray icons, and the fancy ATI control pannel options for the most part. Your OS already has the ability to handle the drivers, customise your display, and colors. Order of installation is important too!! READ INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!

PS. I have a capture card and even after I got it working the capture portion has stopped working for some odd reason months later and after much joy of playing my x-box on one of my computer screens while working on the other. I don't know, but I'll let you know how reinstallation goes for me.
Bones
By any chance do you have Google toolbar installed? GTB is famous for causing runtime errors..usually with the exact message you are getting, except normally the error happens when opening IE, but I've seen it pop up in other weird places too.

Also, I believe that the ATI control center requires a version of DotNet Framework to be installed
Petee
Nope, no Google toolbar. Also, I do have Dot Net Framework 2.0, but I think that something might be wrong with it. I have another program, Paint DOT Net, and it doesn't work. I can't even install it. I've reinstalled my Dot Net Framework a few times now, with no effect. Would I have to remove it from the registry and stuff too? I'd rather not go digging through the registry.

EDIT-
I've got the Framework thing worked out, not sure how I did it, but Paint Dot Net works now, so, I'm happy. The ATI MultiMedia Center is still giving me some trouble, but it's not too much of a problem. I don't use that program much anyway.
IceCreamTruck
Petee wrote:
Nope, no Google toolbar. Also, I do have Dot Net Framework 2.0, but I think that something might be wrong with it. I have another program, Paint DOT Net, and it doesn't work. I can't even install it. I've reinstalled my Dot Net Framework a few times now, with no effect. Would I have to remove it from the registry and stuff too? I'd rather not go digging through the registry.

EDIT-
I've got the Framework thing worked out, not sure how I did it, but Paint Dot Net works now, so, I'm happy. The ATI MultiMedia Center is still giving me some trouble, but it's not too much of a problem. I don't use that program much anyway.

Paint .NET is really sweet if you have been limited to paint shop, but there is a better option: The GIMP for windows! check it out. you have to install GTK+ which is like .NET framework, but it's easy and much better graphic program. It's free and it's like photoshop!!