FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

jar to exe

mialynavahy
hi
i make a game with netbeans (with AbsoluteLayout.jar) and i cant run the jar in another PC so i convert the jar to exe and it works only in my PC and i dont know what to do to make it run everywhere
thanks
desertwind
This may help you.

http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=jar+to+exe&meta=
exarkun
I thought the file with an extension .jar is made of java? Isn't it only run-able in java phones? (pardon me for my foolish questions, I don't really know all these well. Embarassed )
selim06
exarkun wrote:
I thought the file with an extension .jar is made of java? Isn't it only run-able in java phones? (pardon me for my foolish questions, I don't really know all these well. Embarassed )

Yes you are right .jar is for cellphones but there are some emulators which uses for playing .jar games on the computer.
Nyizsa
selim06 wrote:
exarkun wrote:

Yes you are right .jar is for cellphones but there are some emulators which uses for playing .jar games on the computer.

To correct it, .jar files are Java executables. They are executable on ANY platform (including, but not limited to cell phones), provided that a Java Virtual Machine is installed.
Your .jar file should be executed after the Java Runtime Environment is installed on the other computer. You can obtain it from Sun Microsystems' website.
An other thing: consider keeping the file as .jar and not converting to .exe, because you will lose the ability to run it on any platform.
Stubru Freak
I have one application installed on my pc which is a .jar file. (It's a code editor, so not useful for cell phones at all, and way too big anyway.) So it really isn't limited to cell phones.

What I would do is packaging the JRE together with the .jar file for your application in a zip file. Then add an installer to the zip file which checks if the JRE is already installed, if not installs the JRE, and after that installs the .jar file.

A tool that does this could be quite easily found I think, but not sure.
exarkun
[quote="Nyizsa
An other thing: consider keeping the file as .jar and not converting to .exe, because you will lose the ability to run it on any platform.[/quote]
What do you mean by that? I thought that the .exe file should be the one that can be run on any platform, as .exe files are very common.
Stubru Freak
exarkun wrote:
Nyizsa wrote:

An other thing: consider keeping the file as .jar and not converting to .exe, because you will lose the ability to run it on any platform.

What do you mean by that? I thought that the .exe file should be the one that can be run on any platform, as .exe files are very common.

No they're not. They're windows-specific. .jar files are not.