FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rules Enforcement

Scorpio
Well, we do notice frequently that rules are broken everywhere in the forum.

Also things that should not be suggested are also suggested repeatedly.

And people, without reading stickies and announcements ask their ingenious doubts and this happens even with senior members.

So what I would suggest is that (like mathiaus' forum) you can make it like this.

Every new user cannot post the first time before he/she reads the rules and regulations and a few other important topics.

Maybe like this,

1. Before the user posts in a forum he/she must read the rules and regs topic
2 before posting for the 1st time in the webhosting support forum, he she must read the general stickies in that forum/ etc etc

This can be foisted upon the users, which means unless they read the stickies they cant go the reply or "new topic" page and instead they are shown a message that they must have read the stickies.

But if they had already read the stickies, then they can start a new topic
(it works in matts forum i think)

Of course there exists a problem if the user even simpley opens the sticky page and does not read it but simply clicks the back button and continues, but it is the best one can do to ensure the rules are followed

Can you consider this bondings?
LukeakaDanish
I strongly support this idea.

ATM every single rule is being broken almost once a week!
mathiaus
The mod is Force Topic Read. It doesnt however require stickies in each forum to be read but only relates to one topic for the whole board, sutitable for the forum rules thread Smile
Scorpio
mathiaus wrote:
The mod is Force Topic Read. It doesnt however require stickies in each forum to be read but only relates to one topic for the whole board, sutitable for the forum rules thread Smile

But mathiaus, we can ask an expert at phpbb to modify it in order to do so, right?

We can ask no0bie4life or somebody like that or may be bondings can do it
mathiaus
scorpio wrote:
But mathiaus, we can ask an expert at phpbb to modify it in order to do so, right?

I don't doubt that for a minute but we need ta ask whether its worth it. Curretly it uses an extra column in the users table I think. With your proposed addition, an additional 49 would be required, which would be better done making a new table. Not forgetting of course the proccessing behind it would become a lot more complex as well, pherhaps unnessascarily though Think
Scorpio
I agree that the process is tedious, but I am not asking to make compulsory all the stickies

Some stickies like the one wuming made in the seo forum is optional reading, so stickies like that can be omitted, and only stuff relating strictly to rules and important stuff can be added.

Or this can be done,

make the general rules compulsory and give links to various "web hosting support questions rules thread" and other threads from there and tell them to read it before posting and warn them that if they dont do that and ask questions which are answered in the stickies then they may be warned, that will prompt them to read it
Blaster
I suggested this before. So i have been told bondings doesn't want to do this because It is forcing you to do something that should just be done on its own. So i would support it it is a very good idea but unfortunitly I dont' think it will happen.
LukeakaDanish
DOH!

That means scorpio hasent searched for his topic before posting and thereby broken one of the rules himself!
Shocked
Blaster
LukeakaDanish wrote:
DOH!

That means scorpio hasent searched for his topic before posting and thereby broken one of the rules himself!
Shocked

There goes luke breaking a rule. Razz

Actually it was in another post. I am to lazy to find it now though.
LukeakaDanish
LukeakaDanish wrote:
DOH!

Shocked

Nah...the purpose of this wasnt to do any moderating...just to point out a "funny" fact...and actually also to make everybody aware just how pressing this issue actually is!

Luke
Blaster
Back seat moderating. Simple as that. But i have been told that bondings won't do this. I wish he would though. Animal was the one who said it i think.
Helios
Back to subject or I'll break both of your heads ><

To remind ye: we're talking about "Rules Enforcement".
mathiaus
Blaster wrote:
I suggested this before. So i have been told bondings doesn't want to do this because It is forcing you to do something that should just be done on its own. So i would support it it is a very good idea but unfortunitly I dont' think it will happen.

I could only find this topic whcih was actually started by scorpio Shocked
Anyway, this topic is better and Bondings didn't reply himself to the last one so I'll leave this open Smile
Blaster
mathiaus wrote:
Blaster wrote:

I could only find this topic whcih was actually started by scorpio Shocked
Anyway, this topic is better and Bondings didn't reply himself to the last one so I'll leave this open Smile

Yea you found it. HAHA. But i guess it was n0obie anyhow point proven. So lets wait and see what he has to say then.
Marston
mathiaus wrote:
scorpio wrote:

I don't doubt that for a minute but we need ta ask whether its worth it. Curretly it uses an extra column in the users table I think. With your proposed addition, an additional 49 would be required, which would be better done making a new table. Not forgetting of course the proccessing behind it would become a lot more complex as well, pherhaps unnessascarily though Think
Who cares about extra tables?
DeFwh
This is a good idea but with how many posts are posted each day out of how many are meaningless, off topic, not following the rules or innapropriate?

This should be ruled into things like this. And also if everyone read why would we need moderators except for to close topics.

Also when frihoster starts enforcing rules and gives out punisments for not reading its going to be hell for some.

Maybe users should be pm'ed to be alerted that they need to read rules which would be a good start.
simplyw00x
Quote:

A free webhost with limited resources. That's who.

Long story short this sort of automation solves nothing. How many people actually read the EULAs that they 'have to have read' to install software? I must confess, I've never read the Frihost rules either (*gasp*) but the point is that the rules are common sense. If people break rules then it's probably not because they haven't read the rules (or maybe they have), it's because they are idiots. Harsher (or rather, less milk-sop) penalties for breaking well-meant and sensible rules are clearly the answer here.
Marston
simplyw00x wrote:
Quote:

A free webhost with limited resources. That's who.
Confused MySql tables hardly take up any space at all. And the extra user tables would probably only contain a 1 or a 0 (1 - they've read it, 0 - they've not read it).
alkady
Why do I have this feeling that when you are referring to senior members, Its probably me? Laughing

Hey everyone makes mistakes, Thats how we learn not to repeat them.
aacronite
have to say ive just joined and it is rather a lot to take in.

if i have to read all the stickies as well...it would be ages before i could make any posts and get some space.
Hogwarts
aacronite wrote:

if i have to read all the stickies as well...it would be ages before i could make any posts and get some space.

You have to read the stickies, like it or not. Otherwise, what you are posting may be considered spam and A: You might not get any hosting and B: You might get a warning (or banned! Shocked)

Reading the stickies helps alot and helps keep frihost clean of 12 million I am exadurating so noobie/scorpio whoever, this is for your information =) posts of things that should not be posted.

Besides, the stickies save time because you only have to read the ones in the forums that you are going to use.
Scorpio
aacronite wrote:

I dont want to flame you and get this thread locked by a over-zealous mod, but you must be willing to do something atleast to get free and quality hosting.

If you are unwilling to do so, then leave,

People are abusing the rules very frequently and the mods being lenient does not help.
babumuchhala
Forcing to go through all the stickies will be utter rubbish, as most stickies on frihost are the so called "SPAM STICKIES where you can post whatever you want and no one cares Razz

Also there was a chat very early on where bondings was going to make a quiz on frihost rules, and one had to pass it to get hosted. Wonder what happened to that Rolling Eyes

The quiz idea was a lot better than force read as a quiz would require you to read it yo answer those question instead of just opening the rules and closing it so as just to make us feel everyone has read the rules.

So bondings bring on that quiz idea back, dosent matter if all have the same question, but atleast they will have to read some part of the rules to reply.
Blaster
I remember that idea. The quiz idea is better then that. I remember being forced to read the rules on a site. (mathiaus's site) Well let me tell you, I didn't read them. So that doesn't mean anything if you force it. So I think that quize idea is better.
simplyw00x
I think a quiz is a good idea because people who haven't read the rules but aren't morons could pass it anyway. Still, hell to implement and needlessly complicated. Roll out the banning stick!
babumuchhala
simplyw00x wrote:
I think a quiz is a good idea because people who haven't read the rules but aren't morons could pass it anyway. Still, hell to implement and needlessly complicated. Roll out the banning stick!
Yes no one is a moron to fail the test. He could have the rules window open and give the quiz. But atleast he/she will refer to the rules to answer so as to not get rejected Very Happy

Also abt banning, I have heard bondings say it many times that its really tedious to ban ppl after they get hosted. Thats why the pains to remove them before they get hosted Very Happy
Blaster
Yea i heard that too. That he doesn't like banning people after they are hosted. I think gonzo is the only exception though. Only one i know of.

But any way i really think the quize is a good idea. It cold stop this. I think bondings should make on and try it out on say someone like me, n0obie, and some new person. This would show who understands the rules. Like someone like n0obie has been here for over a year and was a mod so he should know the rules really good. Then you got someone like me that has been here for like 5 months and am active. Then the new person may have only read it once but it would show how good it works.

That is just to test it out.