FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Naruto Series

Which is better?
Jap Version
88%
 88%  [ 24 ]
Eng Version
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 27

Mizzro
I myself have been watching Naruto for over a year now..

I like the real version (the jap version) a lot more than the one they play on cartoon network. But the thing I was wondering was, which do you like more (if you have seen both)
VividGreen
i've only seen the japanese version and i'd swear i'd never watch another language with it... i always find dubbed version stupid.. i don't know why.

oh yeah, anyone knows when the filler will end? 2 months ago, it was announced that fillers would end at april right? how come it didn't? or am i missing something?
TeK
To tell the truth I just prefer Naruto's manga to the anime (dubbed and subbed). Personally I think Naruto's anime doesn't capture what was good about the manga well period.
Itachi
i havent been watching the anime but i have been keeping up with the manga i am currently at chapter 310 and it is getting good also you get to skip all of the fillers as well which is a plus bit nothing is animated or colored that is the downfalls.

~Itachi
Tatsumaru
Man I am terrified to hear the english version (Dragonball Z traumas). I'll just stick to Japanese with subs, much better.

I'm still pretty fresh to the anime anyway and I haven't read the manga. I'm at episode 95 now >_>
Scaramanga
Hmmm, I think it's interesting to note that everyone who won't listen to the dub, HASN'T actually heard the dub to judge. Having said that, I caught the dub for the first time last night on CN (I don't generally watch dubs, and certainly not on CN,) and I didn't find it that bad. Now I can't comment on some of the content changes, but the dub acting itself seemed to fit pretty well with the characters. I mean Sasuke sounded like an angsty teen, Naruto sounded like a goofy kid with ADD, and Sakura sounded like, well a boring character no one would care about (see, I told you, right on the money!) Very Happy
urbanbuddha
personally I stopped watching the anime... when a popular series churns out a season (almost getting to half of another season) of pure fillers, well its flavour kinda desaturates. It just reaches the point, as someone mentioned dbz, where goku charges up for like 5 episodes, only to shoot and miss, then begin to charge again...

For those who complain or nag about dubbing, read the manga. I've read the manga along with the series, but now it's not possible. Besides, if you don't like the english dubbing, get the script and make your own fan dub and see how that goes =) OR read the manga and make the voices (alongside that ones that may be in your head already). You can complain then, since you can officially blame yourself for having a lack of imagination =)

The above is obviously sarcasm, but yeah, the anime is great and all. Like most people i prefer the Japanese dub, since in my opinion "some" english VAs, don't put that much emotion into their characters. It is getting better compared to classic animes.
bernardnapoleon
sorry not very related to the topic. anyways cant undertands Japanese but still with the delay of naruto episode in our country i need to watch the Japanese version with English sub. I think The Filipino dub version of naruto was a master piece considering good voice actor were hired to do the dubbing, but that was THEN the newer episodes became less of a master piece. I hope the fillers would end now! Smile
CMA
Rarely does an anime get dubbed into another language besides its original and comes out as something good. From what I saw in the small clips I could get (I don't live in the USA), Naruto wasn't one of them, so I'll stick with the original japanese vesion. Besides, Cartoon Network sliced up/censored many parts of the episodes that they considered too violent for children (or so I was told), which is another reason why I choose to avoid the english version. Sure, some parts are rather blood-filled, but if the japanese children can handle it, why can't the american?
Scaramanga
CMA wrote:
Rarely does an anime get dubbed into another language besides its original and comes out as something good.

Then the original must've been pretty stinky to begin with on all those shows. I mean the dubbing is just a small portion of the story, considering we're talking about a visual medium here. Also, I don't know why people are making out like the Japanese VAs are superior to the American ones. They're both overexaggerted, blatantly melodramatic and more often than not hackneyed actors.

CMA wrote:
From what I saw in the small clips I could get (I don't live in the USA), Naruto wasn't one of them, so I'll stick with the original japanese vesion. Besides, Cartoon Network sliced up/censored many parts of the episodes that they considered too violent for children (or so I was told), which is another reason why I choose to avoid the english version. Sure, some parts are rather blood-filled, but if the japanese children can handle it, why can't the american?

Because we're two entirely different cultures. You know CN doesn't just slice up shows because they FEEL like it. They do that because they don't want to upset their sponsors and their viewers' parents. Because, let's be honest here, without either one of those they wouldn't exist. Of course I'd advocate people getting the subbed DVDs anyway, because they come with far cooler stuff.
e-webz
i juz watching the english version,so i like the english version.and i also can read english but cannot read japanese.
aiden_thomas
Japanese pawns English Dub.

Naruto english dub actually does have a decent cast, compared to other anime. Although it could be improved.

Good series though. I'm up to episode 190. And still bloody fillers. When is the new story arc going to start!

Apparently the new story arc is 2 and a half years later. This is going to rock, because both sasuke and naruto face off, they will be stronger, wiser, and older. I can't wait.
votd
I haven't watched english dub YET and I don't want to. If someone would come to my room with english dub naruto episodes CD and forcefully played it on full volume I would end up by doing a harakiri. I watched the so-called OPENING for dub version. Man, they never learn - they mixed up two openings and some scenes and inserted a hard song. BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT A FIGHT!!! The japanese is unmatchable with english. English is trash! The dub never will be the same, even when they hire the same seiyuu as japanese (since it's impossible, then...).

And I heard the most horrific thing - the NARUTO DVDs are coming to the end of year!! NOOOOO!!! English dubbed with japanese as second audio, but then, obviously - mismatched endings and EDITINGs. And maybe NO japanese audio. God damn it, kill those suckers, why they can't put on JUST english subtitles and leave it intact, or even buy subs from AnimeONE/ANBU/Dattebayo/TW (or get free) and record that on DVDs? They are sick. Very sick. They are gay.. They are!! VIZ AND CN Laughing
Farhad
Japanese Dub for me all the way...

I agree totally with urbanbuddha, I basically just gave up on Naruto now. I been watching since it came out upto like episode 105, but then I just got so sick of these fillers going on and on.

And everytime the series would start it would show Saskue, and I'd get so annoyed because its just like forever foreplay and never a climax.

Still a great series.
Scaramanga
votd wrote:
And I heard the most horrific thing - the NARUTO DVDs are coming to the end of year!! NOOOOO!!! English dubbed with japanese as second audio, but then, obviously - mismatched endings and EDITINGs. And maybe NO japanese audio. God damn it, kill those suckers, why they can't put on JUST english subtitles and leave it intact, or even buy subs from AnimeONE/ANBU/Dattebayo/TW (or get free) and record that on DVDs? They are sick. Very sick. They are gay.. They are!! VIZ AND CN Laughing

Uhh no. Wherever you heard that, it is COMPLETELY wrong. There are TWO completely different Naruto releases. One is the CN dub version and the other is the UNCUT Japanese only language version subtitled. The only difference is that the latter Japanese version is being released as boxsets only (but with 13-episodes, a cool gold-foil embossed artbox and a storyboard booklet!) Please do some research before quoting some anonymous internet source.

Also, this is for the North American release only, I don't know how they are doing it in Europe.
xzoz92
personally its not the dubbing itself that bothers me its just that i cant watch it without those high pitched voices and when i watch the dubs i ahve a hard time keeping in mind that they are budded so i always keep glancing towards the bottom of the screen for subtitles
fireydeviant
I liked some of the fillers, and it was ok for a few episodes, but it is getting old now.

Cant wait for box sets of naruto, though I would like to get into the manga as well. Who sells the mangas, amazon?
diddle
I like naruto its always badass. The english ones okay, but ive never seen the japanese one, so i wouldnt no. But i watch it on toonami on saturdays on cartoon network and its pretty awsome. The plot is awsome and ninjas are awsome so yeah tight. There are WAY too many filler episodes in the english one. They are just gay, look crappy, and are just boring. I like it when they fight and crap, not when they talk and remember their past events. Yeah, i think its awsome!!
urbanbuddha
correct me if I'm wrong, but on the topic of naruto and for those who don't read the manga.

When the fillers started, it was the production company's decision to "fill" in the 2.5 year gap that the manga had. So this means this "filler" stuff, imho, is just a ploy to milk in a series' popularity rather than sticking true to the original source. u_u
ItsWesley
Most of the time when I watch anime, I prefer the original japanese audio, rather than the Dubbed version.
I haven't seen the dubbed version of Naruto yet as it hasn't been shown in the UK yet, but thankfully it will be here later this month I think.
Even though I've seen the subbed episodes I'll still watch the dubbed version, even though it may suck.
Nikkori
Japanese version is better than English-dubbed version. Cool
Scaramanga
diddle wrote:
There are WAY too many filler episodes in the english one.

Uhhh the English one?!? There are just as many filler episodes in the original Japanese version as well. And when you get right down to brass tacks, other than a few minor edits and no blood/booze, they're essentially the SAME show.

ItsWesley wrote:

I haven't seen the dubbed version of Naruto yet as it hasn't been shown in the UK yet, but thankfully it will be here later this month I think.

Just out of curiousity, do you get localized dubs, or is it usually the American VAs that grace the R2 UK version as well?
rhathar
I've watched the Japanese version (english subtitles) up to about 120 or so, and I have to say, it's not that the English version is TERRIBLE - it's really not. It's just that there are points in it that bug me (like Naruto's incessant 'Believe it!')

Also, I can't stand editting stuff out, so that's a big reason for me.

Overall, I'm happy with the subs, so I see no reason to change Smile
Einsland
Wow, stupid question. The JAP dub surpasses the ENG dub completely. The actors just completely bunk everything up. Not to mention they've taken out most of the blood, crapped up scenes like the one where sasuke broke that dude's arms, and mess up the script.
Timoses
I have seen a lot of japanese Naruto series. They owned. I can't even
imagine English Naruto series.... I've never saw one. But it already sounds
wrong. BEt it looks like crap... maybe... or jsut not original...
CreepingD
never saw the english version
the japanese until episode 140, there I stopped watching anime, didn't find it interesting anymore Sad
carlokes
Right now i really don't care if its English, Chinese, German, French or Japanese...I just want the damn filling to end ASAP. I started watching weekly the show since episoide 30 and i've read plenty of the manga.

I must say that i understand that the anime was almost catching up with the manga and that they need to make a pause so that the show does not stop but this is way too much...it's been more that half-year since the filling started and it doesn't seem to be ending soon. I am starting to hate the show although i already consider it a bit childish...

I would prefer ten times that the show stoped for a while than to watch crappy episodes every week with hope that the story continues...
kazoe
carlokes wrote:
Right now i really don't care if its English, Chinese, German, French or Japanese...I just want the damn filling to end ASAP. I started watching weekly the show since episoide 30 and i've read plenty of the manga.

I must say that i understand that the anime was almost catching up with the manga and that they need to make a pause so that the show does not stop but this is way too much...it's been more that half-year since the filling started and it doesn't seem to be ending soon. I am starting to hate the show although i already consider it a bit childish...

I would prefer ten times that the show stoped for a while than to watch crappy episodes every week with hope that the story continues...

True, that. I need to second almost all the things you have stated. I stopped watching the fillers around episode 189, I think. I dont hate the anime or anything but I just found myself gravitating towards manga. Maybe I'll go back on watching Naruto when its in the canon story already. (I dont really mind marathons if I'll finish watching the fillers first before the series itself).

Anyway, to answer the question for this thread, I like it in Japanese, though I have not watched the English version of it. I'm very picky when it comes to dubbing. It's showed in our television and is dubbed in our local language but stopped airing it when the onslaught of fillers began. I can understand them though. I'm not being bad but to be honest, I dont like English dubs. I like our local dubbers way more than them.
vaoger
well i myseft perfer the jap version... becoz i understand...
and by the way the eng version actor voice reallt sound lest enviromently fixed to the naruto series... kind of weirt!!
mikewould
i sort of enjoy Naruto - but he is loud and proud, but funny too and has a way of making people have faith and trust him and try harder, i am very new to naruto, i just found out it existed. happy to learn more japanese too.

now you may ask, why does a white guy like japan's anime. i'll tell you when i figure that out. hahaha
Dark_Jedi06
As with every other anime I've seen, the Japanese version is better. No matter what, they always manage to choose crappy voices for the English version.
ragesone143
i watch naruto every Razz
ItsWesley
I just saw the first episode of Naruto dubbed as it was on Jetix today in the UK and I like the subbed version a lot better, but the fact that the names were kept is good, and I'll keep watcing to see how other characters sound.
apadox
i never like to watch english anime that has jap versionů

jap one with sub's are so much better
xframe
If you've ever seen the voice ACTRESS that plays Naruto in the english dubs you would no doubt watch the original due to shear terror. My god is she scaary. Hearing her say BEELIEEVE it I wanted to put knives through my ears. heres the anime expo 06' panel if you are couragous enough to listen.. aahhh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu4Zlm9XVWY
Nintendo
the best way to watch anime is definitly through japanese voice. especially in cases where you have a comedy anime. The english voice misses out on the puns and jokes alot of the time, and you get these annoying texas accents the whole time. i find you can pick out alot more stuff, and it sounds less stupid, but more serious with japanese voice. For example, if any of you have ever seen love hina or full metal panic - fumoffu, imo, it just isnt funny with the english voice. same with naruto, iv only seen a few episodes with english voice, and i personally found them quite boring.
blade12467
i cant find naruto anymore on dish can some1 help me!!!
Traveller
This thread has been -locked- because we have consolidated the Naruto discussion into a single, official, "sticky" thread.

Naruto fans, please join us in the official, Naruto thread.

Thank you.