FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mic doesn't work

Hobbit
Today I bought a mic, and it's just as bad as my old one. My old one didn't pick up any sound and it was new. So I bought a more expensive one (24$), it actually doesn't look like a computer mic, but I have an adapter. Anyways, it sounds just like the old one! So I hooked it up to my old computer, and it sounds perfectly clear.

So I clicked on the little icon next to the time, and highered everything, I did a hardware test and nothing. Anyone know what could be the problem?

EDIT: Yes, I can hear music and everything (that's what I do all day).
Traveller
Hobbit wrote:
So I clicked on the little icon next to the time, and highered everything, I did a hardware test and nothing. Anyone know what could be the problem?

These may appear obvious, but some people DO miss them, so please bear with me:
  • Is the mic plugged into the mic jack, not the line-input jack?
  • Aside from raising the slider for the microphone, did you UNcheck the "mute" box that goes with it?
  • Does the mic require a battery? Is the battery in place, and not (as is sometimes the case) blocked by a little, plastic tab?

Were I a gambling man, I would probably place my money on the mute: I've seen that problem quite often.
Hobbit
Yes to all those questions. And it still doesn't work.
Traveller
Hobbit wrote:
Yes to all those questions. And it still doesn't work.

Hmmmmm. About all that's left is to start comparing and eliminating. Find a local friend who has a known-working microphone. Try his mic in your machine and your mic in his machine.

If the problem "moves" (i.e. is now on his machine), then the problem has to do with your mic or the adaptor.

If the problem stays on your machine, then the problem has to do with your system, possibly:
  • Damaged sound card (or sound portion of motherboard)
  • Mic plugged into incorrect jack (I know you've checked it, but I've had cases where people have insisted that, but the jack they THOUGHT was for the mic was for the line input, so no matter how many times they checked, they still used the wrong jack)
  • Software settings
    • System volume control settings incorrect
    • System voice recording properties (Control Panel --> Sounds and Audio Devices --> Voice tab --> Voice recording --> Volume --> Microphone slider not up or "Select" not checked)
    • Sound card drivers not installed or up to date, or conflicting with something else (especially if you have ever re-installed windows)
Hobbit
I guess I'll try that, but I didn't really want to tell anyone about this mic cause then they will want to borrow it. But I'll still do it. I did try it on my old computer like I said, and it did work. It goes the pink slot right?
IceCreamTruck
is the microphone stereo or mono channel? This makes the difference betwee there being two black lines on the mic jack itself or one. Check to make sure that your computer takes the type of jack you are trying to put in there. Two kinds, I believe, Stereo mini jack and mono mini jack. and also if you are adapting the microphone jack you will also have to make sure that the right adaptor is being used. Most microphones today are stereo and will record a right and left channel.
Traveller
Hobbit wrote:
I guess I'll try that, but I didn't really want to tell anyone about this mic cause then they will want to borrow it. But I'll still do it. I did try it on my old computer like I said, and it did work. It goes the pink slot right?

Oops! Sorry, I missed the part about your old computer. If you've done that, you shouldn't need to test a friend's mic.

Yes, the mic jack is usually pink.

If you are SURE that all the OS, driver, and program settings are correct, and neither the old nor new microphones work on this computer, then it sounds like the sound card was damaged. If it is still in warranty, have them check it out. If not, you will probably need to open it up and install a new sound card. If the current sound card is part of the motherboard, then you will need to tell the OS to disable the old card completely (so it won't interfere with the new one), then install a stand-alone sound card. If not, you will need to swap the cards - removing the old and installing the new.

Unless you decide to get something super-duper fancy, a new sound card probably will not be very expensive.

Obviously, if you install a new card and the problem persists (and the mic works in another computer), then the only things left are the OS, drivers, and programs, so it's important to make sure everything there is correct before getting a new card.

Good luck!
Traveller
IceCreamTruck wrote:
is the microphone stereo or mono channel? This makes the difference betwee there being two black lines on the mic jack itself or one.
Because of the way in which the jacks and plugs are wired, using a mono mic in a stereo jack would not stop the whole thing from working but would result in either no sound from one of the channels, or the same sound (i.e. no stereo differentiation) from both channels.
Hobbit
I really hope it's not a sound card problem! Other than the volume settings, is there any other place where I can fix it?

I don't even know how to open my computer, it's weird. The sound card is completely seperate I think since it's custom made, I bought it at www.cyberpowersystem.com . Around how much is a sound card?
waffy
You could try using a USB Audio Adapter in place of your soundcard. There are generic ones that are really cheap, maybe less than $20.
looksbad
test it on someone elses pc.. its probly a soundcard problem. they arent to much anymore so dont worry if its bust (is it a soundcard thats built into the motherboard?)
Shin
Make sure you check the volume is not mute in RECORDING section not PLAYBACK. Go to Option -> Properties to select the right section.
Hobbit
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm thinking it's probably my sound card. I'll test another mic, if it still doesn't work then it's definately that.

EDIT: I went into a yahoo chatroom and people said they could hear me, weird!

EDIT 2: I sent a voice clip to a friend on MSN, and all I hear is this big humming sound like when you put your tv on full volume, but there's no sounds coming out? Know what I mean?
Traveller
Hobbit wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm thinking it's probably my sound card. I'll test another mic, if it still doesn't work then it's definately that.

EDIT: I went into a yahoo chatroom and people said they could hear me, weird!

EDIT 2: I sent a voice clip to a friend on MSN, and all I hear is this big humming sound like when you put your tv on full volume, but there's no sounds coming out? Know what I mean?

Given those last two edits, it sounds like something with the settings of either MSN or the way you capture the voice clip. At least there seems to be some progress.
Hobbit
Well, not really. The people on yahoo couldn't understand me because it was pure static, same on msn, and on Adobe Audition, AND Voice recorder.
abhinav_shah
I think there's some problem with your sound card. Is there anything called advanced controls in the sound properties..?

Abhinav Shah