FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can't extract a file from a Zip archive!!!

DimaSafr
Hi, I have downloaded a ZIP archive with Access database in it and can't open it. When I try to extract the file I get the following message.

"! D:\Downloads\Ksiazka telefoniczna TP edycja 2004 (wszystkie województwa) ACCESS.zip: Cannot open D:\Downloads\Ksiazka telefoniczna TP edycja 2004 (wszystkie województwa) ACCESS.zip
The system cannot find the file specified.".
Can you help?
IceCreamTruck
The error you are showing is in another language other than English, why is that? Is the file you are trying to download in another language, or is the program you are using to unzip the file in another language?

Something isn't right there!!

What program are you using to unzip the file?

What program was used to zip it?

How did you download the file?

Where did you download the file from?

Did you virus removal software remove the file it is looking for?

Did your spyware blocker remove the file?

Can you download the file again? (I believe you should use ASCI mode and not Binary for zip files or maybe you should try both)

As you can see there are a few more questions I need answered before I can even begin to help you on this issue. If you would rather not chat about the problem futher I suggest the following. Download a couple different archive programs to try and unzip the file. WinZip is free, WinAce is also free, and if all else fails there is default zip software installed on windows XP systems.
DimaSafr
I actually solved the problem! You right the Archive name was in a foreign language and probably had some illegal characters or was to long. so i renamed it and it extracted without any problems!
Thanks
Bones
Zip archives have always had problems with long file names. Personally, I prefer rar or ace compression to zip
IceCreamTruck
I'm glad that you found a solution.

I thought that there had to be something wrong with the fact that the error came up in a different language. When another language is used on an english system then, you were right, special charaters prevent the system from recognizing the full file name, as in your case.

Simply renaming the file was a great move, and I'm happy that it worked for you.
abhinav_shah
DimaSafr wrote:
I actually solved the problem! You right the Archive name was in a foreign language and probably had some illegal characters or was to long. so i renamed it and it extracted without any problems!
Thanks

Thanx, coz even I had the same problem...

Abhinav Shah
IceCreamTruck
I live to serve! litterally

Glad you guys are working around these issues, and make sure to let me know if you are having other problems. I actually answer pms, but I suggest posting the issue in the forums anyway, and pm me a link, and I will see what I can do!!

Happy surfing!
aningbo
i had a problem once and yeah i had to use another software to extract it.

it was a .rar file and winrar didn't extract it and after looking around, i found power archiver and yeah that did the job for me.