FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Worst windows experiance

Xeniczone
lets just describe our worst experiances with windows. Like the blue screen of death.

One of the worst ones I had with windows is useing the game halo (A microsoft published game) causeing windows to crash. Every once in a while I will try to play halo and I will get the blue screen of death just to piss me off. Then I can't read the blue screen of death because it is only there for 2 secs then my machine restarts.
solarwind
Lol. Same!! Sometimes when I play Halo online, just when a map loads, Windoze crashes. I dont use windoze anymore. It's crap.
kiranaghor
Last week my windows 2000 crashed. I have genuine copy of win 2000. I tried installing everything again after I failed to repair the previous installation the cd just hanged at some point. Crying or Very sad
I dont understand whts the problem.
Now I have installed Windows XP sp2. It worked well.
simplyw00x
Having a mystery BSOD, losing my real (paid-for) install disk, having to download some dodgy pirated version, installing it, more BSODs, installed again, more crashes, installed, crash, install, crash install SuSE.

Also, having the hard drive mysteriously die and windows not boot, despite the data being accessible when the HD was in another computer.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Also, having the hard drive mysteriously die and windows not boot, despite the data being accessible when the HD was in another computer.

I have had this before. When you have a windows hard drive just die then work when it is reformatted. i don't know if this is a windows error of handling the hard drive data, or a hardware error.
Donutey
solarwind wrote:
Lol. Same!! Sometimes when I play Halo online, just when a map loads, Windoze crashes. I dont use windoze anymore. It's crap.

I hate that, it freezes midway through the load, and it won't even let you bring up the task manager to kill the halo process. It might be a bug in Halo, but that's made (sort of ) by Microsoft too. Rolling Eyes
Josso
I used to use Windows Movie Maker for all my abstract films (ok, I know that was stupid because it's a free program and not likely to be very good) and it gave me extreme pain. I mean this wasn't just the program... this was Windows making it as hard as possible. I once got set back 8 months on one big movie. I had to remake the entire thing and it still didn't work. In the end I had to re-import the end clips on the timeline and very carefully replace the existing ones (ok, so these clips are like... from the same project)... and it worked. Wheres the sense in that.

There are other occasions - not to do with movie editing but I cannot remember them.
{name here}
Well, the worst time I had in windows was playing Golf? on my older PC(866 Mhz CPU with Riva TNT2 M64 Pro). With XP, all special effects and unneeded processes like windows explorer turned off, it was still slow as hell, and froze at one point, but XP still stood and was able to teminate the process. Half Life I, on the other hand with DirectX rendering was working fine under the same conditions. Either Nvidia or MS undermines OpenGL, or both. It's frusterating.
sketteksalfa
haha. this is a nice topic, everyone seems not satisfied with windows nowadays. my worst was, having the windows security warnings popping up all the time. though i have scanned my pc with updated antivirus and spywares. i reinstalled windows and still the weird popup comes up..
Th3St1ck
yeah, in my opinion windows sucks....
the only reason i use it is to play games and stuff like that
other then that i would prefer a mac anyday
nealio1000
Xeniczonelets said: just describe our worst experiances with windows. Like the blue screen of death.

One of the worst ones I had with windows is useing the game halo (A microsoft published game) causeing windows to crash. Every once in a while I will try to play halo and I will get the blue screen of death just to piss me off. Then I can't read the blue screen of death because it is only there for 2 secs then my machine restarts.

nealio1000: the worst was when i messed up my computer with partitions and i had to totally format my harddrive. Then to reinstall windows i took my disc and popped it in and i got a BSOD during the installation process. I GOT THE BSOD DURING THE INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS!!!!!.

that really sucked.
corey
Xeniczone wrote:
lets just describe our worst experiances with windows. Like the blue screen of death.

Hey, everyone, if this "restart" occurs on Windows XP (which it likely does), you can make that stupid behavior stop so that you can read the error before the restart by turning this "feature" off. Right click on "My Computer" (either on your desktop or in the start menu) and select "Properties". Click on the "Advanced" tab and then click on the "Settings" button under the "Startup and Recovery". Uncheck "Automatically Restart" in the "System Failure" section. Click OK. Click OK. Now, your computer should not restart without at least showing you the BSOD if you get one. Cheers.
looksbad
I kept getting the BSOD every time MSN signed in.. so id set it to not sign in automatically.. but it still did .. took me ages to get rid of it because when i went to uninstall it the BSOD comes up again.. thankfully i kept my re-install disk and just reformatted.. (god i hate msn and windows messenger, but xfire rocks everything) ive had worse experiences than this with good old crappy windows but they are just to long to write about.. but this was my wierdest.. msn and windows messenger causing windows to crash.. how crap can microsoft get.
Egmond
I'm playing WoW a lot, and i want to check internet meanwhile. One problem: WoW always seems to crash when i'm using alt+tab. Dunno if it's Window's fault, but i suppose it is. And the weirdest thing: using the 'windows' button does work properly -_-
Xeniczone
Quote:
nealio1000: the worst was when i messed up my computer with partitions and i had to totally format my harddrive. Then to reinstall windows i took my disc and popped it in and i got a BSOD during the installation process. I GOT THE BSOD DURING THE INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS!!!!!.

I thought I was the only one to do that. Get the BSOD before windows was even installed.
guissmo
I have countless "BAD WINDOWS EXPERIENCES" and so I can't rank them from "best" to "worst" because when it comes to my computer, I HATE IT when it crashes or does something it's not supposed to do.
Helios
Well, this is my nightmare:

1. I got the CD.
2. Installed windows.
3. Used windows for a while.
4. Uninstalled it (finally! The nightmare has ended!) and got a Mac.
saurabh.sauron
1.) Got Win2k from a vedor
2.) Installed it.
3.) Virus detected by Norton 2k3. Unable to remove. the dialog box didnt go away. i was stuck.
4.)reinstalled it.
5.) same virus again. same problem.
6.)reinstalled it from a different disk.
7.) a deadlier virus. couldnt remove that too.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

dumped Win2k and norton after that. sticking to XP and ubuntu
krazycapital
I must be very lucky. I've used Windows for about 6 years, and the worst thing that ever happened:
My motherboard crashed. It might have had something to do with the 5 MM of dust on it. Razz
Srs2388
i have had soo many but ...

one of theworst one yet... i had all my stuff on my computer *as usual*
and it randomly blue screened
coudn't get it back to i had to format and lose everything
got windows back and isntalled a few more apps
and i'll be DAMN it blue screened again
had to re re format << is that a word
after i did that i said eff it for tonight i dont want to install anything else
got up that morning to install some drivers
it wasn't detceting my ethernet
got pissed and broke a remote controll by slamming it into the wall
about 2 hours later everything was working again
exarkun
Yeah man, I hate it when I was playing games, and pressed shift so many times that the sticky key came up... Troublesome!!! Mad
Rocky3478
Hmm...

When programs randomly crash
When the operating system locks up when I click too fast. Rolling Eyes (come on now!)
When I can't have 5 programs open at once without 3 of them crashing every 2 minutes.
When I get a virus that just won't go away!

I really like my Mac.
saurabh.sauron
had this one very recently...
installed XP.
crashed the minute i installed it.
worked very slow,
reinstalled it without any effect.
started restarting on its own.
courrupted my hard disk.
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
HoboPelican
Worst windows experience was trying to get ME to work at all.

However, with XP I've been running for 3 or 4 years without any software issues at all. Hard drive got wonky, but a clone to a new drive did the trick and it's still crankin'. Not even a virus.
silentpark
hmm maybe that it wasn't a good idia to delete (well to replace IO.SYS in win9x and ME ^^)
but i was 12 or something like that so thats a long time ago^^
and you should not use windings as systemfont ^^

well yes hijackers, viruses, xp crashes, other bluescreens are more or less normal so come on. (and why crieing about a cracked xp version that doesn't work?

unattended and corporate versions are not build for personal use Razz
(what means they are build for one special set of hardware and not for every desktop you can find..) *sorry if treat some of you unfairly*

but maybe some of you know this annoying standby bugs.. (-> standby -> cd don't works anymore (for this session), sound stops, hdd don't wont to wake up, monitor stay asleep, or both and you don't have a chance to save any things you had possibly worked with)

well Rolling Eyes
Stubru Freak
Windows always seems to logout whenever I'm not looking at the screen. I never saw it log out, but when I leave my pc and come back it's sometimes logged out.
Firefox reports a crash when I restart it. (Tab Mix Plus)

Maybe something wrong with my screen saver.
Anyway, using Ubuntu now.
Bengt
I Quote:
"The first Microsoft product that won't suck will be a vacuumcleaner" Laughing

No hard feelings Mr. Gates Wink
HL9881
Xeniczone wrote:

But seems the new widow system have solve this problem.

But other problem happen...

Don't use Window, use linux.

Cheap and good. Laughing
yaashop
now i'm having windows nightmare. My present comp using Chinese windows XP sp1. and i cant reinstall to be english SP2!! i tried format partition like 3x but still got the same problem when i installign windows it will stuck(i mean noting happened during installation)... i once tried format use NTFS system and i can install all (many programs i needed) no problem but when i using windows i got stucked... then i have to GHOST back to chinese windows xp as usual...what a waste of my 2 days weekend T_T
{name here}
Quote:
hmm maybe that it wasn't a good idia to delete (well to replace IO.SYS in win9x and ME ^^)

You do realize that IO.SYS contains the DOS kernel, and that those versions of windows use MS-DOS as a bootloader right?
b4r4t
My experiences ... Win 98SE ... instaling, rebooting... BSOD, "$#$#8%#&^" ... reinstall ... everything ok ... 4-5 days later BSOD , restart, BSOD , Restart - BSOD, restart "couldn't find system on Your boot device" ... chkdsk /r => crasched boot sector = I've bot a new disk and installed XP ... but it still was hadcore = I had voodoo3 (and celeron 500 and 64MB RAM:D) , and as You know - voodoo don't have official drivers for xp ... but voodoofiles helped me with unoficial 3rd party drivers (bout 45min installing + dll exchange + registry) :] When I've changed MoBo,CPU,GPU ... XP works gr8 - never crashed Smile XP is good if You can take good care of it Smile (but i have always GHOST image ... just for safety)
ncwdavid
I downloaded some free msn smilies and when i installed them i restarted the computer and it wouldnt turn anymore and the whole computer system had to be reinstalledjavascript:emoticon('Twisted Evil')
Twisted Evil
loveit
I must be very lucky. I've used Windows for about 2 years, and the worst thing that ever happened: hoho