FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

a 8 core computer?

Xeniczone
I have no plans to build this I just wanted to see some options

I was just searching on new egg and I came across this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151009
This is a server motherboard with 4 AMD optron slots. The motherboard alone cost 1,200 dollars.

Then you need the cpu to put into them
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584
This is a dual core opteron running at 2.2ghz a great speed. (for an amd)

Though building a computer like this would set you back $3273.95 just for the cpu and motherboard You would get a pritty interesting.

When most people first see this they think holy **** this would be a great gaming computer. Well, Games do not use all the cores that you would like. Though if you where really talented and made something so that each core would do it's own thing like first one does windows second one does geomatry the third one does all the inputs the forth one does all the coding etc... Then maybe a useful thing but otherwise it is useless for gaming.

This would be great, but Their is no operating system or software that would take advantage of this computer. So it probably wouldn't proform much better then a amd athlon 63 fx-55. In fact the Athlon 64 fx would probably out proform this.

EDIT: I did some reading before about AMD and Intel releaseing Quad core processors. This is crazy with that you could have a 16 core computer if they still use the same socket.
psycosquirrel
That motherboard has been around for a while... This is by no means new stuff Laughing

Yeah, the gaming on something like this would not be as great as thought, but keep in mind its value as a server. The motherboard is a server motherboard, and therefore is designed to be used as a server. You could probably host HUNDREDS of servers simultaneously using a Linux or some other type of server.
Xeniczone
Server Board don't bare much difference then a normal motherboard.

The main difference is they probably don't have agp or pci-e ports and they can have more then one cpu support then also have a abnormal amount of memory support. Other then that they can be used for a normal computer.
Donutey
Xeniczone wrote:

This would be great, but Their is no operating system or software that would take advantage of this computer.

Linux/unix... how do you think they get supercomputers to work with thousands of CPUs Rolling Eyes
Xeniczone
Quote:
Linux/unix... how do you think they get supercomputers to work with thousands of CPUs

A super computer is usally a cluster of many motherboards though the network.
Donutey
but it still has a centralized OS...
psycosquirrel
Not always. Also, most server boards have some sort of a PCI-X or AGP slot, and even more have PCI slots. And I don't know what you are thinking, because server boards are incredibly different from standard ATX boards Shocked Sure they can be used as desktops, but that is a waste of money because they are built to be servers and are therefore more reliable, higher quality, more specialized, and cost signifigantly more than normal boards. Just wondering-- have you ever seen a server? I can't imagine myself having a rackmount casing for a server on my desktop next to my LCD Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
Quad modern CPU's?
Up to 32Gb DDR 400?
SATA RAID, SCSI RAID?
Dual onboard gigabit nics?
That's one schweet motherboard.
ForceRun
As long as the cpu is a P4 or so and you got at least 512MB of Ram, what really effects game play is the video card, It would be cool to have the super CPU system, but in all reality most people use very little of the standard CPU time and power they already have, so there is little or no real OS or Software support for multiCPU systems.
Xeniczone
Quote:
As long as the cpu is a P4 or so and you got at least 512MB of Ram, what really effects game play is the video card, It would be cool to have the super CPU system, but in all reality most people use very little of the standard CPU time and power they already have, so there is little or no real OS or Software support for multiCPU systems.

Pentium 4's are in the past they have heat issues and still can't compare to the AMD's. AMD used to cover the bottom line of the cpus, but now they are the top of the line. Best you can get. Intel still can't touch them even with the Extreme Edition.
psycosquirrel
Thats not what he was saying. Everyone knows Pentium is behind AMD right now, it is common sense. He was saying that the system would suck at gaming anyways because game performance relies almost entirely on the video card...
TheGeek
however, if they did design a game that could utilize all that processing power...wowi wowi, that would be interesting...can you say onboard physx card....lol you wouldnt need to buy one of those fancy physx cards for it, you could literally use one processor to process the game and the other 7 to process the physics of the game and everything else...imagine what could be done... Twisted Evil