FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash - where to start...??

Metaphor
I love all the potential of flash, from designing websites to short cartoons and possibly games, but where do I start in my search for knowledge on how to use flash?

I was wondering if any of the more experienced users with flash could offer any suggestions as to how they started learning flash, such as a particular book or website? I'm going to try to get out sometime later this week to look at some books, so if anyone can offer any suggestions, thanks!

BTW, since Flash has upgraded, perhaps if you're refering to a book, you could also tell me the publisher's name and editor of the book, so I can find one relevant to the version of flash I am working with (macromedia flash MX 2004). Thanks!
Balthamos
I think the easiest way to learn Flash is through tutorials. I myself don't know it. I tried, but soon gave up because it was too artsy for me. I am pretty proficient in Swish, but that is just an extremely watered down version of Flash, essentially. Just do a Google search for "free flash tutorials", and I'm sure you will find plenty of excellent tutorials.

~Balthamos
Metaphor
I've already tried that but the results came a bit confuse and mixed up! Anyway tks i'll try again and see what comes up! Tks Wink
Scorpio
Check www.tutorialized.com

and

www.gotoandlearn.com
Metaphor
Thanks! Tutorialized.com is a great site. It contains tutorials about other software like Photoshop and Bryce. Great site, tks a lot!

Wink
Sappho
Only sure thing is that most of the books on Flash are pretty mych useless and not worth any money, unless they are about ActionScript techniques or project design.

I started with clean Flash without any books or tutorials and i did find out that one great thing about Flash is it's rich help, even thou sometimes buggy you will pretty sure be able to find there anything you will look for.

Then when it comes to intermediate things you can go visit all the flash comunity sites like flashkit.com or actionscript.org and after all when it comes to advanced you can ask at any forum or try things yourself (thats where the fun part comes in) Smile
sergi
I am new to Flash too. There are two sites I've found useful in learning Flash and ActionScript. The first is http://www.kirupa.com. It has tutorials on how to make different special effects in Flash 5, MX, MX 2004 and Flash 8. It also contains ActionScript tutorials. The second one is http://www.tonypa.pri.ee. It is basically concentrated on creating an isometric tile-based game using Flash and ActionScript. I hope it helps.
Sappho
2 sergi: thats exactly the thing a newcomer shouldnt do, i met a lot of Flash developers that just started to learn Flash by trying out all the fancy stuff couse it looks cool, and after speaking to them you will find out that they dont even know what scope is. Smile)

Thats just an example but can be applied to most of the programmers, even around here, they just found out what OpenGL is and they want to make FPS or MMORPG, thats just ROFL u know Smile
Reign
I don't know how far you are with flash but if you never used flash before you should start with the lessons Flash MX gives you in the program itself.

The use of movieclips, graphics and symbols overall are very important and are basic for developing with flash. The use of the library is important to.
Also try to learn some basic actionscript.

And if you know how to use that you can start with some basic tutorials at www.gotoandlearn.com like someone said before.
Metaphor
Tks 2 all that's a great help, i'll keep in touch about this.

Wink
sergi
Sappho wrote:
2 sergi: thats exactly the thing a newcomer shouldnt do, i met a lot of Flash developers that just started to learn Flash by trying out all the fancy stuff couse it looks cool, and after speaking to them you will find out that they dont even know what scope is. Smile)

Thats just an example but can be applied to most of the programmers, even around here, they just found out what OpenGL is and they want to make FPS or MMORPG, thats just ROFL u know Smile

I just forgot to mention that those tutorials also have basic lessons for beginners Smile

What's ROFL?
hellrahul
Ok
So You are a begginer to flash. I can help you out.

Flash interface looks cool. ANd its also easy to handle flash if you learn the correct way.
Code:

1. SO first thing you have to do is try the lessions provided with flash.
    At first try 1st lession don't go to actionScript now.
    OR you can read [b]Macromedia Flash MX 2004 for Windows and Macintosh : Visual QuickStart Guide[/b] :::: Peachpit Press
This will give you the knowledge of flash interface.

2. Now Read Flash MX 2004 Book from Macromedia press.

3. Then go for ActionSctipt lessions provided with flash and read Books on ActionScripting from Macromedia Press.

While reading these books you can go through the tutorials on different websites. But I suggest not to start directly from tutorials coz for learning flash you need to go serially from one topic to next this can only happen if you read books.

So that's how I have learnt flash.

hoping above information will help you. Very Happy
Sappho
sergi wrote:
Sappho wrote:

I just forgot to mention that those tutorials also have basic lessons for beginners Smile

What's ROFL?

Anyway best thing is to start with Flash help and play with various GUI tools and then try out the ActionScript etc. Flash isnt just about cool effects, in fact most of those fancy (maybe even too fancy) websites dont do Flash justice :/ I am accustomed to that prolly you will dont listen to my advices, i mean "girl among the programmers how weird is that" is the only thing i listen most of the time :/

And ROFL means Rolling On the Floor Laughing Smile