FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless

jarred89
Hello,
I have brought a wireless modem thing and I am trying to get it to work with my laptop. the wireless router is a Netgear MR814 v3. Does anyone no how i set it up??
FerSx
First off all u have to set up the access point or WIRILES, to do so use the CD that came with your router and connect first your laptop to the router via cable (for configuring reasons only) follow the CD instructions and u shouldn’t have any problem. Wink
IceCreamTruck
Start with the installation guide, but here are some things to keep in mind. They are in no particular order, just the order in which they come to me.

1. Your router needs to be updated to make sure that it has the lastest version of the firmware. See product website for details on your model. This is very important because viruses and the like will take advantage of known security wholes in your network.

2. Your local area wireless network needs to be secure (look up WEP, or WPA security), so do not just plug the router in, see that it works, and think this is ok... unless you want the neighborhood kids logging onto your internet connection and downloading a bunch of stuff making your connection very slow.

3. The card in your computer might not be compatible with the router that you bought, but if the two communite without problem in the beggining you should be just fine. If you follow the installation instructions perfectly and it still doesn't work, then you might have to go buy a wireless card or wireless USB adaptor for your computer that matches your netgear brand. Dell wireless cards are not compatible with some routers that I have personally dealt with.

4. Check the settings in the router and specifically tell it not to broadcast your SSID (secure site Identification) as this will stop the local kids from seeing that you even have a secure network, and they won't try to hack past your security because they won't know it's there. All of this is much easier to grasp if you read up on how to install your network in the owners manual.

5. Love your router and it will love you! Be nice to it, and sing to it often as wireless networks do go down for unexplained, or complex science, reasons from time to time, and there will be absolutely nothing you can do about it. Just pray you aren't living next to a government electromagnet test site, or high power lines/transformers. According to law in the US electronic devices must except these kinds of interference... And furthermore it's illegal to hold the US government liable for these kinds of interference.
abhinav_shah
Try out the driver CD that might have come with your modem...

Try googling man...

Abhinav Shah