FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Quality over Quantity! A big scheme!

alkady
Okay, Heres the story, I was going to buy a new computer for the next school year with my parents. Normally I would have picked HP, Dell or something like that. Heck I'd probably even build one. But my parents wanted to try this place because they build custom computers for your custom needs. So I said why not, It wouldnt hurt.

Heres the catch, On their ad it said Free 1 GB Ram upgrade, Free 250 GB HDD upgrade. Which really caught my eyes. But the problem was as the title says "Quality over Quantity or Quantity over Quality" in which the upgrades would be of lower performance.

Such as 160 GB Hard Drive at 7,200 RPM or 250 GB Hard Drive at 5,400 RPM. I was suprised and really knew it was too good to be true. I'm actually wondering if perhaps I should just stick with HP or Dell.

What do you think of this marketing ploy?
n0obie4life
I know a webhosting company that does that.

http://www.frihost.com
tidruG
n0obie4life wrote:
I know a webhosting company that does that.

http://www.frihost.com

What exactly are you implying?
If it's the "quality over quantity" motto that you're referring to, don't forget that you upheld this motto and rejected many hosting applications on the basis of this motto.
Secondly, as stated in the original post, the choice was yours... either have good quality peripherals with lower specs, or higher spec peripherals with lower quality.
At Frihost, it's not really a choice. We're trying to build a good community of webmasters, and for this, we need good quality posts. There is never a dearth of quantity.

on-topic:
THat's not a bad marketing ploy. It certainly did attract your attention, didn't it? Wink
In the end, it all comes down to weighing what your primary needs are. I don't see any much use for 250GB HDD, it should normally take you ages to fill that up if you're using your computer for general purposes.
prongs_386
the best option every time is to get it together yourself or by a smaller company, mainly because companies such as dell have big marketing access and can sell overpriced computers. If you put it together yourself you save on money and smaller companies are more likely to mix and match for the parts you want, big companies sell package deals.
This is how the world works, the company with the best advertising , the company everyone knows will beat cheap prices and quality parts.
Code of Ruin
In terms of marketing it is a good scheme this particular company worked out. It certainly get's your attention and I reckon that when keeping quality low with 'upgrading' they just put the same money in the pc.
I'm always a fan of HP since they provide good quality for your money and their pc's don't break down every 2 days.
Building one yourself is also a good alternative to buying one out of the box. But you should only try to do this if you have sufficient knowledge of all the system components you can get and which will suit your need and which components will go together.
seanooi
For me, i think i would choose quality over quantity. Good things are known to last longer that's why in long term, quality will save you loads of money whereas for quantity over quality will most probably suck your pocket dry.
Helios
tidruG, we all know that n0obie doesn't really know what he's saying Wink

Anyway, back to topic:

There 2 sides here: The first would be you, the CUSTOMER.
You are the one who will invest money and recieve a product in exchange for that money you paid. Now, just like the user, there's the business-owner, who's sole intent is to exchange your money for his products.

As a customer, you want to spend the lesser amount of money for a product as you possibly can,
but as a business-owner, you'd like to make the biggest profit.

You can't really complain here.
They are using techniques they've learnt in business school(which are 100% legal. At least, they should be) to "make" people buy their stuff.

As a customer, you've got to be just as smart as they to unravel those "tricks" they're using.

You shouldn't complain and shout "they're cheating the customer!" or "It's all a big ploy!", but you should first complain about your own ignorance Wink

What do I think?
If they tricked you, then the "ploy" must be good Smile
jaysen
Perhaps it's too early in the morning, but i'm not fully understanding... doesn't the advertising tell you flat out quantity over quality... giving you the choice as to which package you want?

I think that's a better marketing "ploy" than bragging that you get over "X" amount of "FREE" software with the purchase of a new computer like many places do, only to give you a bunch of crappy, second rate software that nobody would pay for anyway....
byt
alkady wrote:
Okay, Heres the story, I was going to buy a new computer for the next school year with my parents. Normally I would have picked HP, Dell or something like that. Heck I'd probably even build one. But my parents wanted to try this place because they build custom computers for your custom needs. So I said why not, It wouldnt hurt.

Heres the catch, On their ad it said Free 1 GB Ram upgrade, Free 250 GB HDD upgrade. Which really caught my eyes. But the problem was as the title says "Quality over Quantity or Quantity over Quality" in which the upgrades would be of lower performance.

Such as 160 GB Hard Drive at 7,200 RPM or 250 GB Hard Drive at 5,400 RPM. I was suprised and really knew it was too good to be true. I'm actually wondering if perhaps I should just stick with HP or Dell.

What do you think of this marketing ploy?

it depends totally on your needs, no point having the smaller faster drive if it won't hold all ya files, onwthe other hand if ya need very little space but need speed then go for the fast small drive.

you complain about this option but then say you'd rather have a mass produced hp or dell or what ever but they wont offer this free option would they?

decide exactly what you want in your machine then get a few quotes for the parts individually and for a ready made system simple