FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Removing Windows 2003 from Dual Boot

pjv
Hi guys,

I have a 40GB hd partitioned into three. The first partition was installed with Windows XP, the second partition is for my data files and for the third partition i recently installed it with Windows 2003 Server. Everything works fine with the menu showing up on boot up asking me which OS I want to work with.

Now, my question is, what if I want to remove the Windows 2003 system, what would be the proper way to do it. I'm thinking of just formatting the third partition but that would leave the menu on the bootup, right?

What will I do to remove the second OS and the menu as well?

thanks in advance!
prongs_386
well just gettting rid of ur other partition wont hurt your other os as you said, if you want to get rid of the windows 2k3 from ur os boot menu, make sure you have ur folders to view system files-> open my computer, and select view- foler options- click the view tab, then scroll down and untick the box saying hid protected system files.
now i'm assuming ur xp os is the one being booted, so just goto ur xp partition and open the file boot.ini
now you can just delete the line about ur 2k3 os. save and restart to test.
if the boot menu is still coming up but just with one option now, then have a line called default=""
and in the quotes put the same thing as ur boot drive. and change the timeout to 1
IceCreamTruck
prongs_386 wrote:
well just gettting rid of ur other partition wont hurt your other os as you said, if you want to get rid of the windows 2k3 from ur os boot menu, make sure you have ur folders to view system files-> open my computer, and select view- foler options- click the view tab, then scroll down and untick the box saying hid protected system files.
now i'm assuming ur xp os is the one being booted, so just goto ur xp partition and open the file boot.ini
now you can just delete the line about ur 2k3 os. save and restart to test.
if the boot menu is still coming up but just with one option now, then have a line called default=""
and in the quotes put the same thing as ur boot drive. and change the timeout to 1

Dude, you've got to stop telling people to modify the boot.ini file. You can seriously damage your system, and telling newer users to do this is a really bad idea.

Control panel >> System >> Advanced (tab) >> click "start-up and recovery" button and there you can set the default opperating system, and set the time to show the options to 0 or 1 and you will never see it unless you go back and turn it back up.

Once it boots to the opporating system that you want to keep just right click the drive/partition where the OS is that you want to delete, and format the partition. Do a complete format and it will totaly erase everything that was there. Just be glad you still have a working OS to do this from. it only gets tricky when deleting the OS means there is no OS on the system. You will still have one to work from.
Bones
Even if you damage your boot.ini, you can rebuild it in 2 minutes, boot to recovery console and run bootcfg /rebuild

Editing your boot.ini is not as dangerous as most people think, it's only a text file that can be easily replaced, unless you are running an OEM system with a crap OEM cd like HP or eMachines.

If in doubt, make a backup of the original boot.ini first and then edit away.
FerSx
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Dude, you've got to stop telling people to modify the boot.ini file. You can seriously damage your system, and telling newer users to do this is a really bad idea.

Control panel >> System >> Advanced (tab) >> click "start-up and recovery" button and there you can set the default opperating system, and set the time to show the options to 0 or 1 and you will never see it unless you go back and turn it back up.

Actually its easer to delete the double boot in the boot.ini as prongs_386 says that doing it via recovery. That way u r not just turning it off u r DELETING it for complete.
And with Microsoft that mean one less future problem!
And u have to mess al lot your boot.ini to damage it, and BONES just give you the best way to recover any mistake u can do to the boot.ini “bootcfg /rebuild”.

The best way to learn is messing things UP! Twisted Evil
IceCreamTruck
ok, let's be clear on this. I don't mind if you modify your boot.ini file, and I surely have the computer know-how to modify mine, but let's be clear on what I was really saying.

STOP TELLING NEW COMUPUTER USERS TO MODIFY THEIRS!

the way I look at it. If the person is so new to computers that they don't even know how to look their problem up in the microsoft help files on their system, then they don't need to be modifying system files that could cause their system to stop working.

You guys most likely don't know just how good you are at computers compaired to the general public, and you are going to leave some helpless person high and dry on their computer because you gave them the power to really mess with their system. Just be more careful who you are telling to do what because some people will run with your ideas way too far.

Do you see my point? It's more about who the person is than what can or can't be done with a computer.
technology.sponge
look, without delving into the boot file war as seen above,
the quickest and leats destrictive way to do it is

format the 3rd partinio to get rid of win 2003
then boot into windows sp, right click my computer,
prperties, advanced, startup recovery,
using the drop down menu, select xp as default,
change the "display list of os's" value to 1

ull still get the boot menu, but itll only flash for 1 second, and u dun risk killing ur pc from modding the mbr
pjv
Thanks a lot for your help guys, I don't really mind if it's editing the boot.ini or changing setting on the control panel as long as it gets the job done. It's better because now I have two options and aside from that we learned something new like rebuilding the boot.ini if something wrong gets on the way.
webbone
you can use notepad to edit the file of c:\boot.ini,There can view some content like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

then delete the content of disk(1)....

reboot your computer!

That all right...
abhinav_shah
Edit your boot.ini file & remove the line for Windows 2003 server...
Then format your 3rd partition...

Abhinav Shah
lpclimber
I really learn a lot from the replies above,thank you all!
prongs_386
the rule of thumb is if windows says don't do this it's dangerous, then its a load of crap, but yes you can cause ur computer to stop functioning properly, but if you follow instructions properly then there is no way that it will reck the computer
IceCreamTruck
It's just safe to assume new users should not be modifying the boot.ini at all.
Gaurish
just edit boot.in file from c: drive.

regards;
gurish