FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Student Suspended for Sharing Caffeine Gum

glennesau
LOWER BURRELL, Pa. - A middle school student was suspended for three days for sharing chewing gum because it contained caffeine, school officials said.

Quote:
The girl, whose name and age were not released, gave another Huston Middle School student Jolt gum. The gum is "a stimulant that has no other redeeming quality," said Amy Palermo, schools superintendent.

Products acting as a stimulant are prohibited and possessing them is grounds for disciplinary action, and the suspension was mainly based on the girl's decision to share the gum, she said.

"What if the gum had been given to a student with a heart condition?" Palermo said Thursday.

The school has soda machines, but they aren't turned on during school hours and drinks containing caffeine aren't sold in the lunchroom.

Jolt is manufactured by GumRunners LLC of Hackensack, N.J., and is marketed as a caffeine-energy gum.

------------Comcast.net Strange News

Ok now that is pathetic, what in the world is the school system comming to? Just because the gum contained caffeine? What if they offered a friend a sip of pepsi or some other cola product? Or a chocolate bar? Chocolate contains caffeine. I remember being suspened from school for hitting someone, not sharing things. What's next? being suspened for having a bottle of Mountain Dew Energy? I mean come on suspend them for something that they can actually get into trouble for lol.
alkady
Rules are rules no matter how dumb it is, At my school Peanuts or anything related to peanuts are forbidden but alot of people have peanuts because I'm at a high school where students are free to roam around the area so they cant really crack down on us.
alexcheng
rules are manmade, and are changed when they are retarded like getting suspended for giving a stick of caffeine gum to a friend.

It's like while ago, in my city, they were talking about putting bans on vending machines in the highschool i used to goto because they thought that junk food was bad for health, was causin obesity, bad grades, and all that was wrong with the world.

In any case, they took the machines out, and yet, kids still had junk food they brought from home, and corner stores around the school.

Sometimes, rules are meant to be broken (especially when they are retarded)
chirag
Quote:
Rules are rules no matter how dumb it is, At my school Peanuts or anything related to peanuts are forbidden but alot of people have peanuts because I'm at a high school where students are free to roam around the area so they cant really crack down on us.

Agreed
damj
alkady wrote:

Bans on peanuts are a whole different matter because of some people's severe allergic reaction to them (though it begs the question of how these people can function in the rest of the non-peanut banned world, but that's a topic for a different day).

This policy is well intentioned, but where do you draw the line, and too subjective and difficult to enforce fairly. So what happens if someone has caffeine before school, expel them for coming to school "under the influence"?
ocalhoun
I was once witten up for having a weapon at school back in the day: I was in possesion of a paperclip that had been unfolded.
TeenZine
ocalhoun wrote:
I was once witten up for having a weapon at school back in the day: I was in possesion of a paperclip that had been unfolded.
No way Are you kidding a papper clip. How sad Sad Did you get susspended or what happen? You just said
Quote:
you got written up
OtakuBoi
Call me sick but I've always thought it'd be funny to buy a pack of nicarette (nicotine gum) and giving some to people, then it's like "Hehehe, they'll be back" sell it to them or something (it's addictive, like crack)

But yeah, this is just stupid... more stupid than the rule at my school where you can bring beverages contained in glass, but they aren't allowed to sell anything with a glass container...
Biodiesel
Caffeine is a long way from nicotine
teh_razz
[quote="glennesau"]LOWER BURRELL, Pa. - A middle school student was suspended for three days for sharing chewing gum because it contained caffeine, school officials said.

Quote:
The girl, whose name and age were not released, gave another Huston Middle School student Jolt gum. The gum is "a stimulant that has no other redeeming quality," said Amy Palermo, schools superintendent.

Products acting as a stimulant are prohibited and possessing them is grounds for disciplinary action, and the suspension was mainly based on the girl's decision to share the gum, she said.

"What if the gum had been given to a student with a heart condition?" Palermo said Thursday.

The school has soda machines, but they aren't turned on during school hours and drinks containing caffeine aren't sold in the lunchroom.

Jolt is manufactured by GumRunners LLC of Hackensack, N.J., and is marketed as a caffeine-energy gum.

Wow, this is pathetic, suspending someone for gum.... who cares if it has caffeine, she probably needed it to stay awake during her morning classes lolz!
OtakuBoi
While that girl was giving someone else gum, I'll bet the person behind her was giving someone else exstacy or something Laughing