FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Yarnoholic

vlnjodie
I'm a yarnoholic! I admit it....fine...I know it's dorky, but I am what I am. I knit all the time and I always have at least five projects on the needles. That's pretty good compared to most yarnoholic knitters.

Any other knitters out there? Knitters are all over the web now, so there have to be a few out in the frihost communtiy.
quixotic
I knit a little, though it's mostly a fall/winter thing for me, since it's really hard to want to know something in the middle of summer, and I'm still learning. I have to teach myself how to do it, so it's really hard. >.< Unlike crochet, which I learned from my mom and still remember, though I need a new needle for that.
vlnjodie
I learned to crochet first (from my grandma) and I think it's much easier to learn first. Since each stitch is independant it's easier to fix mistakes.

Do you have a favorite project? Are you a scarf knitter or do you like sweaters? Since I'm a yarnoholic I like everything.
Catastrophic Fairy
My mother is teaching herself to knit, but she crochets like a champ. Everywhere you look in my house, you'll see yarn in boxes, baskets, in shelves... She's been currently in a doily craze. /:3
DawningLight
Have to say I am the opposite of most of you posting here.
I learn't to knit as a child and love it. Crochet I only taught myself last year so all achievements are very basic so far.
I found it soooo much harder than knitting though. I still find it very difficult, perhaps it is because I am self taught, but the huge variety of stitches and the (what are still to me) strange pattern abreviations are confusing.
I wonder if it isn't the age you learn, or the skill and teaching ability that makes the differance.
I love yarn though, and tend to collect lots, in the hope of using it someday. My stash grows far quicker than I can use it, but I guess thats the case with most crafters.
vlnjodie
I think it has a lot to do with the age you learn at. I just think crochet is easier because it is easier to fix mistakes. You make a mistake in knitting and often times it means the whole project is started over.
riv_
I must be totally opposite. i love yarn! I love the feel of it, the smell of it, the colour of it!
But I hardly ever knit or crochet - I can do both, I just don't DO it much.
Actually, I learned to knit simply as an excuse to spin wool (which, by the way is easier than it sounds, and is so relaxing!)
Crocheting takes a lot more yarn, so knitting is more practical for homespinners. So my husband and I made a deal that I would only spin as much yarn as I could knit...
But everyone has to have a stash, right Laughing
vlnjodie
riv_, If you're are ever looking for a home for all that lovely handspun yarn..... it could mean more spinning for you and more knitting for me. Smile
riv_
Nice try... Cool
vlnjodie
I had to give it a try, you never know. Smile
spinnersandweavers
I have only recently become a yarnaholic but do I ever have it bad. It's my mom's fault really, she has taken up fibre arts. She gets raw woll, hand dyes it, hand spins it and then makes awesome stuff out of it. ZShe made my newborn daughter a beatiful wool blanket. Anyways, the one thing she can't do is knit with four needles. So she bought me a set of needles, threw some wool at me and said "Learn." So I did. My only problem so far is getting the sizing right because of the thickness of her wool. A sock that was designed small/medium ended up being too big for my husband's enormous, size 13 feet. Oh well, I'll get it figured out.
Daisie
I love to knit and I do collect yarns that I hope to turn into something nice one day... Got a big bag full under the bed and one in the loft.
My mom taught me not long ago and I m teaching my friend and my kid now.
I love it !
I cant crochet to save my life and I dont know anyone around who could teach me. I have looked at some paterns but it's all chinese to me... Anyone self taught in crochet has al my admiration !
furtasacra
vlnjodie wrote:
I think it has a lot to do with the age you learn at. I just think crochet is easier because it is easier to fix mistakes. You make a mistake in knitting and often times it means the whole project is started over.

I disagree with the age part there, learning early doesn't make it easier, it just seems that way because you got PRACTICE at an early age. Practice makes crochet (or any other craft) easier, no matter when you start.

I recently picked up a beginner's jewelry kit just because it was on sale, and twiddling around with those beads made me nuts until I got the hang of it. This has nothing to do with me being old, it was just unfamiliar.

It was fun, because I learned something new, and made a fairly cute little necklace, bracelet and earrings set that I gave to a friend's tweenage daughter. However, I won't be buying any more jewelry stuff until I finish using up more of my yarn stash and get some space in my "craft closet".

I foolishly promised my husband I wouldn't buy any more yarn until I used up what I already had....and damn it, I've missed out on some good sales! Argghh!! Laughing
Daisie
aah cant miss a good sale!... even if it end up in the cupboard for months on end, you never know!

I have a friend in Amsterdam who does her own jewelry, it's stunning. I cant find any suplier in my little sea side town, otherwise I would certainly have picked it up too.
furtasacra
Daisie wrote:
aah cant miss a good sale!... even if it end up in the cupboard for months on end, you never know!

I have a friend in Amsterdam who does her own jewelry, it's stunning. I cant find any suplier in my little sea side town, otherwise I would certainly have picked it up too.

Don't let that stop you! You can get everything from catalogs, either online or by mail. If you get a good book about making your own jewelry, it will almost certainly have a list of good suppliers who will ship to you.
m00tmuffin
Ahh, yarn. I love yarn and like you and most likely every other knitter/crocheter etc out there I have tons of it stockpiled for that day when "I'll eventually need it", haha. I know a little bit of crochet but I mostly knit, it's such a relaxing hobby despite the occasional pain you get in your wrists from going at it for too long, hehe.
furtasacra
m00tmuffin wrote:
Ahh, yarn. I love yarn and like you and most likely every other knitter/crocheter etc out there I have tons of it stockpiled for that day when "I'll eventually need it", haha. I know a little bit of crochet but I mostly knit, it's such a relaxing hobby despite the occasional pain you get in your wrists from going at it for too long, hehe.

I recently used some stash yarn leftover from a project. I now humbly submit for your amusement a photo of a grouchy old cat in a striped sweater.

Renfield will be fourteen years old this September. He grumbles and complains while I'm putting the sweater on him, and looks resentful immediately afterwards, (as shown in the picture) but if it's a chilly day he forgets all about his feline dignity and starts purring loudly after about five minutes. AND he keeps it on until it gets too warm ... but when he wiggles out of it, he usually leaves it on the floor next to the litter box. I assume this is his way of expressing his opinion about my cat sweater designing skills. Laughing
Daisie
Lmao! bless him Very Happy he does indeed look a bit grumpy but so cute too!
I dont knit for the cats but my girls take great pleasure in dressing them with the dolls clothes... And my Tom Cat in a pink fluffy dress is priceless to see!
furtasacra
I don't know why Ren gets so irritated when I put the sweater on him, it's made out of leftover yarn from the afghan that he's rolled up in, snoring, right this very minute. Silly beastie. Smile