FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Media Photo

eday2010
How many people have heard of this already? I just learned about Windows Media Photo this morning in an article from cNet News.

http://sympatico-msn-ca.com.com/Microsoft+shows+off+JPEG+rival/2100-1025_3-6076650.html?part=sympatico-msn-ca&tag=ca_home&subj=ns_6076650

Better compression and smaller file size than JPEG, which is the format Microsoft is looking to replace. I don't know if it will catch on. JPEG is mega universal, and it will take some years before WMPhoto is that universal. JPEGS are viewable by everything and their dog. I'm not a huge fan of Windows MEdia Video or Audio (I prefer AVI and MP3). But if the quality of WMPhoto is as good as they are saying, and it is easily adopted by almost everyone, then I would be quite interested in taking a look at it.
selim06
eday2010 wrote:
How many people have heard of this already? I just learned about Windows Media Photo this morning in an article from cNet News.

http://sympatico-msn-ca.com.com/Microsoft+shows+off+JPEG+rival/2100-1025_3-6076650.html?part=sympatico-msn-ca&tag=ca_home&subj=ns_6076650

Better compression and smaller file size than JPEG, which is the format Microsoft is looking to replace. I don't know if it will catch on. JPEG is mega universal, and it will take some years before WMPhoto is that universal. JPEGS are viewable by everything and their dog. I'm not a huge fan of Windows MEdia Video or Audio (I prefer AVI and MP3). But if the quality of WMPhoto is as good as they are saying, and it is easily adopted by almost everyone, then I would be quite interested in taking a look at it.

Yeah i haven't seen yet..But know i'm looking and i must say!It may need at least 4 years to accept all of people and be universal format...First off all Imageshack recognize it and support..
eday2010
It will be hard to dethrone JPEG. It's been around since the beginning of time, although AVI did a good job of pushing MPEG down the ladder for video. Almost everything you download or see online is AVI, mostly thanks to DIVX. I think QuickTime is the only major format that uses MPEG (apart from DVDs).

I am also wondering how well Microsoft's new portable document file will do thrying to dethrone Adobe's PDF. Last I heard, Microsoft was calling it Metro.
Schmarvin
Hm...I had never previously heard of it. I don't think I'll want it though.

How'd you find out about it?
Like, just looking around news articles?