FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what do you think about frontpage

nate15
I am curently ussing frontpage as my web disgning software.
how do you like it?
Slick
quite honestly - i don't! (like it that is)

when you say designing - what do yuo mean?

Frontpage is a HTML editor, therefore a tool to use to make your websites not so much design them!
blueknot
seriously, frontpage is the best

i like the layout and cell padding stuff

i hate dreamweaver. it's damn laggy and and irritating.
GTA
good software but not for design just help with HTML
snowboardalliance
I prefer actually writing the code. I think HTML-Kit is way better because you actually get control. But if your not good with html/css, and don't care how it is coded, then Frontpage is fine for you
GTA
But PHP it better it gives you more things you can bulid whatever d'you like
i learing now PHP
ammmm very Hard
WickedGravity
I think that Macromedia Dreamweaver is the a pretty good scripting software package.

If you know or don't know HTML it is good for you, it has the split screen so you can WYSIWYG your site as you go along. It is awesome for ColdFusion, PHP, ASP and even moderate xml work.

I got hooked on it when I started editing Legend Of The Green Dragon files, never looked back.
Boles Roor
Go Notepad Very Happy
I seriously can't work in those bloated, overcrowded and messy programs such as Frontpage and Dreamweaver.
ionide
I usually use four different things, the online editor, notepad, texturizer, or dreamweaver. online editors least often, dreamweaver second to least often, and probably notepad and texturizer the most.
Dor-S
I think HTML is better then FrontPage
Palau
well, it is good for beginners. dont mind what most people say that it is crap, for lamers and other - it is convinient way to create a simple site. surely, you should always check the code and correct it, cuz there are lot of useless tags also there...
Fredrik
I would not reccomend frontpage, not even for beginners. I think it's important for a webdesigner to learn to program a website without any program that helps them, for example notepad. I think that's an important step to becoming a great webdesigner. And when you can do that, I think you could look at using programs like Dreamweaver.
SamiTheBerber
I don't like Frontpage, because you would never have Valid page with it. You never learn to code yourself. But there is one good thing in it, you see pages directly in prewiew tab, and that is good. But you can't make php or other pages than html and htm Sad ...
Oscar
Well I have to agree with the rest of brats .I have tried Front Page 2000 and ended up with costic templates than I had to clean the code etc.So I use Dreamweaver maybe I should try clean HTML but since I have to deal with other more complicated programming like MEL in my 3d Software and C++
waiting in line I appreciate Dreamweaver comfort.And stll when surfing through the Web I am looking mostly for a simple design even with 3d content.For me simplicity is a clue. Cheers
Anderman
After using Frontpage for so long i decided to try Dreamweaver and i had to say ip reffered FP much more
Mabie just the much easier interface and just small bits like that
Gozzgull
yes well i learned how to use frontpage and dreamweaver in school this past year and i ended up just going into the html editor instead, i learned html on notepad, i stay with notepad Wink
gamo
Cool!

But frontpage just advantage to designers to design HTML, ASP, ASP.NET, and some things relevant to Microsoft products. Others srcipts be less supported by frontpage. I recommend that you shoud use Dreamweaver because it is very robust, useful for coding many kinds of scripts not only some things Frontpage supports but also some scripts as JSP, Coldfusion, CSS, sHTML...

Let you try it to sure that I talk to you the true.

Good lucks.
Grievez
Frontpage IS ok for aspiring website makers, but if you want to fully explore your pottentiol use Dreamweaver + photoshop. These are in my oppinion the best softwares out there. Also they have a huge community which should give you alot of tutorials and help with.

I hope this helps you with your deccision (Dont take frontpage :#)

Frontpage = html
Dreamweaver = does more than just html

Trust me you'll love dreamweaver once you get to know it Smile
Gozzgull
frontpage = HTML DHTML JAVA C++ VB
dreamweaver = FLASH and same as ^
notepad = PERL JAVA VB6 VB.NET ASP ASP.NET XML DHTML (etc)
Dec1mal.
I never liked FrontPage. It's quick and you get your things done, but you can never edit the code manually because FrontPage shoves every tag ever invented whether useless or not useless into your html script. If you don't plan to learn html, I figure it would be pretty useful to use as a way to make a website.
CFC_since_89
i agree notepad is easy.. plus you can use html websites to help you. i had to make a website using html for my ICT gnvq course i hadnt used it before but learnt the basics within a week! Smile
Huskiestar
i also dont like frontpage i just use notepad Smile
Slick
Gozzgull wrote:
frontpage = HTML DHTML JAVA C++ VB
dreamweaver = FLASH and same as ^
notepad = PERL JAVA VB6 VB.NET ASP ASP.NET XML DHTML (etc)

HAHA

ur forgetinn alot here - just so happens in the dreamweaver area!

since the mx release and i believe in dreamweaver 4 (updated version)

the support is as follows

HTML, DHTML, Java, asp, jsp, coldfusion, asp.net, php, perl, cgi, CSS, XML, XHTML,

it has secure ftp transfer, RDS support for coldfusion servers, spell check (note pad hasnt!), has built in graphics editor (sort of a mini fireworks)

loads more...

sorry but dreamweaver pisses on all of its competators (if u can even call them that)
Slick
BTW wat did u mean by -

"dreamweaver = FLASH"

dreamweaver cannot edit flash.....

please explain!
littlegiant
Sorry but I wouldn't touch a WYSIWYG editor with a ten-foot pole. As a professional web designer, I have had the nightmarish experience of having to debug the source code of client's web pages which were originally created in WYSIWYG and used no CSS. Anybody who's had to do the same knows that this is no picnic.
Kydha
Hey Smile

I tryed 3 times to make a website... first with Dremweawer and i didn't like it.... the html code generated do not answer to the W3C standard.... and i found it kinda hard to use... but it is my point of view....

next i tried frontpage and .... how to say.... i couldn't stay more than 5 minutes in front of it.... really didn't like it....

At least i found a tutorial on the net to learn XHTML and CSS coding with notepad.... and i think it is the best if you want to do a website....

I learned how to make websites with an "acceptable" design in handmade CSS in a week... and if i could... everybody here can do it aswell... i swear Smile

i personnally use notepad++ ... it colors the instructions and add some lines to make sure you didn't forget to close a [div] or other things like that.... as you can see it here:

well it is in french but i'm sure we can find if in english.... the language menu allows you to select what kind of code your typping (HTML...PHP...C++....XML...JAVASCRIPT... and so on and so forth... Smile )

to get the soft its here:
http://www.siteduzero.com/Downloads/notepad_pp.exe

Enjoy and take care Smile

Edit: to have the English version you can go on the official website:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php

You'll have some help, supports,and the last version Smile

Enjoy Razz
Motoracer380
i love frontpage its the greates. i download a page kit and edit it with that it works very good because everything is so easy to locate.. like adding a row ina table you can just right click for it. and to add images and stuff you can add them from an outside source. although in dreamweaver i like the ability to make flash animated buttons easilly.
Tieskevo
notepad and dreamweaver are the best not frontpage..
xoAznSweetie
Design? I just simply using it to check if my codes are okay b4 I put my page on the net. You don't really want a site that is messed up. If your really pro just use notepad. But newbs like me can use Frontpage and DreamWeaver. Razz I simply don't think you should use frontpage for "design"! Lmao
vln004
blueknot wrote:
seriously, frontpage is the best

i like the layout and cell padding stuff

i hate dreamweaver. it's damn laggy and and irritating.

i agree with you. I love frontpage and how easy it is to use.
dz3000
ithink frontpage is a cool programe and very usefull coz u dont need to upload some where and see if u have some problems at ur page u can see there
yjwong
I use Frontpage. Its better than Dreamweaver. When you open the page with notepad, it wouldn't lump all the code onto one line as Dreamweaver does.

Dreamweaver has built in flash buttons but you can actually create a flash button easily using Flash MX.
Kydha
xoAznSweetie wrote:
I simply don't think you should use frontpage for "design"! Lmao

seems to be a troll discussion.... we all have our pratices.... and our tools....

but i'm agree with that Wink
Donutey
i've used frontpage i like the buttons, and thats bout it... ... ... ... ... lol
mike4652
Front page is alright to start with, but if you start learning HTML and CSS you will see all the junk code that FP throws into your pages.
I like using HTML-Kit it offers alot of plug in support and has features of higher priced software packages. And to top it off it is offered FREE with no strings attached. And it has a internal wysiwyg editor if you really feel you need one. Also Top Style lite is a good css trainer. it will give you a preview of your style sheet showing how the style will look.
But I think that most will agree. You have to take one step at a time.
And if FP helps you start walking, Then use it.
Jack_Hammer
I don't terribly like dreamweaver that much (I don't know why)

Anyway frontpage I like it to edit the page in though it does have quite a few down points, but just as a rough I use it then edit the code I think it's great, although I am using the 2003 version and the older versions I have tried using I found awful.
Jack_Hammer
I don't terribly like dreamweaver that much (I don't know why)

Anyway frontpage I like it to edit the page in though it does have quite a few down points, but just as a rough I use it then edit the code I think it's great, although I am using the 2003 version and the older versions I have tried using I found awful.
mike4652
I have learned alot from frontpage. And it is nice to test the look of a layout in it. A design can be put togather fast in it.
But I would suggest that you check the code and clean it up when ever possible. and use css to set font color and size. It will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.
Grimboy
I use Dreamweaver but stay at the code tab most of the time.

Jack Hammer, don't double post and Dreamweaver takes a little more time to get used to than Frontpage but give it a chance and you'll be better for it. It has nice intergration that will get nicer come Dreamweaver 8. I went to one of the seminars and it looks like the RSS/Atom and RSS styles intergration and multi-CSS for various medias tabs are going to be pretty HAP.
Stiv_
Dreamweaver i h888888888888888888 lags me stupid, as for frontpage its wat ad tend to use for html,notepad aswell to clean up a few codes but def hav to stick weh frontpage. Its wat av been usin for a wee while now and im very much used to it, def a gd tool for me, alot off other ppl though asu can see from the posts tend tolike dreamweaver and various others,how it doesnt lag for u iunno LOL its def pish! end of story!