FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cap on Fourm sites

Simulator
Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to put a cap on websites that are just forums? Apart from the fact it just takes up needless space on the frihost servers, its just pointless when you have all the sites out there that give away free forums. Now maybe you have a system in place that I don’t know of, but it just gets me mad to see good webspace go to waste on some noob who just wants a forum.
LukeakaDanish
Stupid suggestion!

If all the "forum n00bs" as you call them, didnt use frihost, frihost would have a lot less customers! that would mean less users of this forum and therefor less profit!

You are right - there are meany pages which consist of nothing but a forum, however on frihost you dont have to have adds and can install any custom styles and mods - this usually isnt the case on the freeforum pages.

Let Bondings decide what is best for frihost, and where there is money to be saved - generally you should only suggest improvements to the forum or hosting service.

On an entirely different note, a couple of big photo's or .png graphics will take up almost as much space as an entire forum - it really isnt that big a deal!
Simulator
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Stupid suggestion!

If all the "forum n00bs" as you call them, didnt use frihost, frihost would have a lot less customers! that would mean less users of this forum and therefor less profit!

You are right - there are meany pages which consist of nothing but a forum, however on frihost you dont have to have adds and can install any custom styles and mods - this usually isnt the case on the freeforum pages.

Let Bondings decide what is best for frihost, and where there is money to be saved - generally you should only suggest improvements to the forum or hosting service.

On an entirely different note, a couple of big photo's or .png graphics will take up almost as much space as an entire forum - it really isnt that big a deal!

Ok fair point, but do you see the point in having a site that is just a forum?
LukeakaDanish
Simulator wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Ok fair point, but do you see the point in having a site that is just a forum?

Yes!...for example i am part of a clan in the online game www.ogame.dk, and all we need is a forum...not some big heavy site which takes ages to load. Of course i use my account for numerous other things (real pages Very Happy ), but i could easily imagine someone needing it just for a clan forum, and i think their claim for free webhosting would be just as good as yours or mine.

Sincerely

Luke
Hogwarts
Forums take up less space. The more people frihost hosts, the more money frihost gets from ads. The amount of money that frihost gets depends on how many active users they host, not how much they host. Besides, forums use less space then other websites while some other websites use less space then forums.

So, really forums are helping frihost. Not using very much space, yet generating revenue at the same time. Getting rid of all the puny forums would kill frihost, (probably). Currently all my site is is a forum, but I'm also hosting a personal project for my sister (Year long project started in mid year 9, ending mid year 10.) which will have an entire array of programs; forums, wiki (she's looking for a program) and a knowledge base.
AftershockVibe
I don't see what the concern is. It's not as if Frihost is turning people away saying "sorry, servers full" or that you are being forced to view these sites.
Marston
Simulator wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to put a cap on websites that are just forums? Apart from the fact it just takes up needless space on the frihost servers, its just pointless when you have all the sites out there that give away free forums. Now maybe you have a system in place that I don’t know of, but it just gets me mad to see good webspace go to waste on some noob who just wants a forum.
You're not even hosted on FriHost...

At least, Sim and Sim isn't.
Scorpio
Lukeaka Danish I totally agree with your comments. Very Happy

However there are a few clarifications

1. Yes, the suggestion is stupid

2. Just because a forum occupies less space does not mean new users are going to get more space. Because 250 mb is allotted to them whether they use it or not. And frihost cannot over sell the space. So whether they use 1 mb or 25 kb it means they are using 250 mb.

3. The other respite here is that, since they only host a forum of 1 mb or so, they use not much bandwidth and also they should post as much as the other "normal site" hosting users.
This means they too have an equal probability of clicking on ads and earning profit for frihost/
Helios
Any site is good as long as it doesn't go against the ToS and the obvious rules.

-close-