FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Merging Windows & Linux -> the most secure OS

alienjones
Howdy Com,

a German computer magazine suggests merging Windows with Linux in order to get a most secure and convenient operating system. Most common applications run under windows but Linux offers best security from viruses etc. So millions of computer users dual-boot their machines.
But is it necessary to reboot your system in order to switch the OS? No, because Windows and Linux can be used at the same time...

The procedure is quite simple:
At first a virtual PC is set up under windows using an emulator. Then Linux is installed onto this virtual machine. When Linux is running both operating systems are interlocked, building one unit. All you need is "VMWare Player", "VMX Wizard" and any Linux Distribution, e.g. Debian. All these tools are Freeware.

Letting Linux overtake the internet communication (email, browsing, filesharing, etc) malware and viruses don't have any opportunity to affect your windows-system as they never reach the windows-partition. Both, Windows and the virtual Linux machine, are having unique IP-adresses operating on the same network. This makes it easy to connect both OS via Samba.

Last nite I set up my PC with this solution, my router now denies internet-access for the windows' IP.

What do you think about this solution?
{name here}
Not really worth it. Linux has Windows compatibility layers such as WINE. ReactOS is not complete, but it literally combines the security of a Unix Like kernel and the ability to use Windows Apps.
AftershockVibe
Even using VMWare if your Windows PC is comprimised it is still compromised even if Linux is blocking the problems from going any further.

A spam zombie machine is still useless as a work machine even if it doesn't spread.
DeathPact
i think there was a linux distribution called lindows around, with built-in windows application compatibility but i didnt really look it through, try some googling:) Also some industrial wine version would really make up for the absence of windows aps on linux, so u get to keep the whole package in 1 os
Shirish
and will someone tell
how can security be achieved when flaws of two OS are combined together
rather they will increase the fear of attack more than reducing it.

Reactos is more a Windows NT Clone.

We are still to see a mergerr of both OSs
tuncay
With this solution you just do not risk using Windows, and giving it much less power than normal (such as ram etc.). I wouldn't say it's much of a solution, and still you need a licence for the windows on your virtual drive..
Helios
"Merging Windows & Linux -> the most secure OS" - certainly NOT!

It's like adding more salt to a well-made dish.
{name here}
DeathPact wrote:
i think there was a linux distribution called lindows around, with built-in windows application compatibility but i didnt really look it through, try some googling:) Also some industrial wine version would really make up for the absence of windows aps on linux, so u get to keep the whole package in 1 os

That's Linspire's nickname, and it doesn't really have anything special that you can't get on another distro, except taking your money.
Xeniczone
does linsphere really support windows apps? or is it just WINE.
simplyw00x
There's a lot of FUD here. Merging windows and linux won't make things more secure. Running linux full-time and using a VMware image for specific necessary programs is what they suggest, and many people do that already. It's not good for games, however, and takes a performance hit.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
does linsphere really support windows apps? or is it just WINE.

No. It's WINE, or that other proprietary WINE based on the same code that runs windows apps. ReactOS and E/OS are the only OSes that aren't made by MS that supports Windows apps natively