FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will it work ? Agp Slot 4x with Agp Card 16x ?

Philip
I wanna buy a Agp Card 4x but there's no one sell it already.. T_T
Since my PC alreeady so old, & i dunno have money for buy a new PC..

wanna ask

Thanks Embarassed Crying or Very sad
Lied
No, Because AGP x16 is not AGP at all, it is PCI-X x16.Now if you mean to buy a latest AGP card (AGP's max is xCool and put it on a motherboard with support up to x4, i think that it will work but your card will be working as if it was x4.
gh0stface
Philip wrote:
I wanna buy a Agp Card 4x but there's no one sell it already.. T_T
Since my PC alreeady so old, & i dunno have money for buy a new PC..

wanna ask

Thanks Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I don't believe AGP 16x exists at all. The highest AGP speed I believe is AGP 8x.
psycosquirrel
gh0stface is right, AGP slots only go up to 4x/8x. 16x is another interface, called PCI-Express. To get a graphics card that runs on PCI-E, you would need to get a new motherboard; AGP and PCI-E interfaces are different. But, an AGP 8x/4x card can run in an AGP 2x/4x slot if that is all your motherboard has.

How much money do you want to spend on your video card? I can help you find a good one.
Naif
All three posters are right. There is no such thing as AGP 16x. 16x is supported by PCI-E cards. Anyways, to cut the post short, yes you can use an AGP 8x card on an AGP 4x slot. Though ofcourse, there will be a reduction in the performance of the card because an 8x card will be running at half the speed on a 4x slot.
Philip
i have about 40$, and i wish that i can have a gud speaker with subwoofer with addition 20$, so it;s about 60$

please suggest me one or two type

thanks,.
Naif
Philip wrote:
i have about 40$, and i wish that i can have a gud speaker with subwoofer with addition 20$, so it;s about 60$

please suggest me one or two type

thanks,.

For 60 USD, you can buy a a Creative 5.1 speaker system which has five speakers and one woofer. If you want to buy a system with seven speakers and one woofer then you'll have to shell out an extra 20 USD and buy a Creative Inspire P7800 instead.
Philip
kedubrak *fall down*

oic, i need to buy a VGA CARD larr....
the second need is Speaker, Any way

which is good one ATI or GForce Product ?
Since i already check out the price and product, it seem my
favorit fall down to NVIDIA® GeForce™ MX 4000

Any Suggestion ?
Any way Thanks for the speaker suggestion ^_^"

But i only have 20$ for speaker. ^_^
Naif
Philip wrote:
kedubrak *fall down*

oic, i need to buy a VGA CARD larr....
the second need is Speaker, Any way

which is good one ATI or GForce Product ?
Since i already check out the price and product, it seem my
favorit fall down to NVIDIA® GeForce™ MX 4000

Any Suggestion ?
Any way Thanks for the speaker suggestion ^_^"

But i only have 20$ for speaker. ^_^

Hi. I am sorry. I thought you had a budget of 60 USD for just the speakers system. Your budget is very low. You wont be able to buy a good graphics card in within this budget. Instead of an MX 4000, buy a Geforce FX5200. It has 128 MB memory. Its much better than the MX 4000. It will cost you around 40 USD.

Now regarding the speakers, for 20 USD you'll be able to buy a 2.1 speaker system only.
Philip
haha, wait no need sorry,
I found 3 types
ASUS V9520-X/TD - US$ 41
GIGABYTE GV-N52128DS - US$ 41
MSI FX5200-T128 - US$ 42

which one is the best ? Since the price it;s seem all is same for me ? Embarassed

Thanks,
Naif
Philip wrote:
haha, wait no need sorry,
I found 3 types
ASUS V9520-X/TD - US$ 41
GIGABYTE GV-N52128DS - US$ 41
MSI FX5200-T128 - US$ 42

which one is the best ? Since the price it;s seem all is same for me ? Embarassed

Thanks,

All three cards contain the same graphics chipset but I will recommend either the MSI one or the ASUS one because their memory is clocked at 400 MHz where as the clock of the Gigabyte one is at 333 MHz. If the case here was selecting a motherboard i would have recommended ASUS but because its not, I will ask you to go with your taste. Both ASUS and MSI produce quality boards for graphic cards.
Philip
maybe, i choose MSI since my motherboard is MSI Product also.
And it's only different 1$ from Asus and GigaByte.
eh, last question, will it support to AGP Slot 4x since my motherboard is old's brand. Embarassed

Thanks,
Naif
Philip wrote:
eh, last question, will it support to AGP Slot 4x since my motherboard is old's brand. Embarassed

Thanks,

Yes it will as 8x cards are backward compatible with 4x motherboards. But like I said, you wont be able to squeeze the full performance of your card because it wont be running at full speed. I too own an MSI graphics card which is an MSI Geforce4 MX440. I dont have experience with cards manufactured by ASUS but MSI cards are good overclockers. You can overclock both the memory and the GPU(graphical processing unit) of your graphics card to a good extent.
Xeniczone
Naif wrote:
Philip wrote:

Thanks,

Yes it will as 8x cards are backward compatible with 4x motherboards. But like I said, you wont be able to squeeze the full performance of your card because it wont be running at full speed. I too own an MSI graphics card which is an MSI Geforce4 MX440. I dont have experience with cards manufactured by ASUS but MSI cards are good overclockers. You can overclock both the memory and the GPU(graphical processing unit) of your graphics card to a good extent.

This will only work if it is a 4x/8x motherboard. If you put a 8x into a motherboard that only provdes power for a 4x then you will distroy the card, but if the card supports both then it will work fine.

A simple way to go but not a effective or as good quality is PCI.
Helios
PCI certainly not!

Maybe a PCI-E card, but not PCI.
Naif
Xeniczone wrote:

This will only work if it is a 4x/8x motherboard. If you put a 8x into a motherboard that only provdes power for a 4x then you will distroy the card, but if the card supports both then it will work fine.

All three cards mentioned here support both the interfaces, i.e. 4x and 8x. So all is good to go...

PCIE cards are indeed the next generation but for that he'll need to buy a new motherboard and as he said, his budget is very low to afford a new motherboard.
Philip
Naif wrote:
Xeniczone wrote:

All three cards mentioned here support both the interfaces, i.e. 4x and 8x. So all is good to go...

PCIE cards are indeed the next generation but for that he'll need to buy a new motherboard and as he said, his budget is very low to afford a new motherboard.

I Bought it yesterday,
It seem the AGP Card *Geforce 5200 MSI T128 8x* work find on my AGP Slot 4x. Laughing

Any way my display is better than before when using onboard AGP. *Wow it;s Quick*

Thanks for all suggestion, special to Naif. Wink
Xeniczone
Quote:
I Bought it yesterday,
It seem the AGP Card *Geforce 5200 MSI T128 8x* work find on my AGP Slot 4x.

That is because your motherboard is not a 4x. It is a 4x/8x meaning it supports both. They make graphic cards like this too. Where they support both 4x/8x There are even cards that are fully universal and support 2x/4x/8x. But even the universal doesn't support PCI-E x16, but pci-e isn't agp so their is a good reason.
Philip
then it's must very wield,
cause my motherboard is produced about 2001.
and if i remembered, there was not have produced 8x AGP Card yet. Embarassed

maybe MSI FX5200 T128 support for 4x AGP Slot too..
any way, it's must have be any gud reason for this explain.
Naif
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
I Bought it yesterday,
It seem the AGP Card *Geforce 5200 MSI T128 8x* work find on my AGP Slot 4x.

That is because your motherboard is not a 4x. It is a 4x/8x meaning it supports both. They make graphic cards like this too. Where they support both 4x/8x There are even cards that are fully universal and support 2x/4x/8x. But even the universal doesn't support PCI-E x16, but pci-e isn't agp so their is a good reason.

Thats not true. Old motherboards have 4x AGP slots. If they had 4x/8x slots then the newer AGP 8x cards would have run at the speed they were designed to but thats not the case. On these older motherboards, they run at 4x and not 8x. Its just that most if not all 8x cards are backward compatible with 4x slots. Thats why they run on older motherboards.
waihung
yeap, i have a 4x agp motherboard (old one) and my ati 9550 agp 8x works fine on it.

agp 8x graphics card in the market is backwards compatible with agp 4x slots

to recongize between a 4x agp card and a 8x agp card,
there are 2 notches on the connecting pins of a 4x
and there's only 1 notch on the connecting pins of a 8x.

and u cant differenciate agp 4x and 8x slot by looking at it
both of them look the same.
Xeniczone
Dang it that is what I'm saying. You need a card or a motherboard that is listed compadible. You can have a 4x motherboard and a 4x/8x card and it will run fine. You can have a 4x/8x motherboard and a 4x or a 8x card will run fine.