FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Create Web pages without knowing HTML.

namneu
Actual Drawing is a visual publishing tool that helps you make Web pages without you having to know HTML, allowing you to drag and drop page content.

Download : http://www.download.com/Actual-Drawing/3000-2048_4-10409581.html?tag=lst-0-1
Maka
Nice but no need to copy and paste 6 topics of information already on the net.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Actual Drawing is a visual publishing tool that helps you make Web pages without you having to know HTML, allowing you to drag and drop page content.

Download : http://www.download.com/Actual-Drawing/3000-2048_4-10409581.html?tag=lst-0-1

Which got a 'Don't buy this' review from Cnet. The place you posted it from. All this 'Without HTML' is bullshit. It's not hard. The most WYSIWYG you should EVER get is MS Frontpage Express, and that only for table layouts. WYSIWYG editors mangle code and destroy standards. Just learn it. It's not hard.
littlegiant
With all due respect, using WYSIWYG to make a web page (without knowing any HTML) is like using an instant cake mix to bake a cake and then calling yourself a chef.
Phil
littlegiant wrote:
With all due respect, using WYSIWYG to make a web page (without knowing any HTML) is like using an instant cake mix to bake a cake and then calling yourself a chef.

Well said!
I get tired of all this "no need to Know HTML and make great web sites!" Its a bunch of crap.

I used to work on my church's web site. The person who set it up went with one of those "no knowledge required" places. It honestly didn't look bad, but once you chose the templates and layout...... forget ever making any changes. All you could do is VERY basic text changes. Extremely limited to what could be done with it.
The staff wanted to put some advanced things on it, calenders, vidieos of sermons. Which was impossible. The site didn't even offer CGI, so even basic forms where out of the question. Hell, I don't think it was even possible to have an external CSS sheet!
I'm no professional designer, but my advice to anyone serious about Web Design...... stay away from those places. It's not that difficult to learn some basic HTML.
littlegiant
*chuckle*

I know a WYSIWYG junky who has a basic site like that (no CGI support etc.) and they're paying 60 bucks a month for hosting. I've tried all I can to get them to understand that there's even free hosting deals way better than what they pay for but to no avail.

Oh well, there's no accounting for taste, eh?

Oh and... No external stylesheets? Sheesh. I didn't even know that was possible. Surprised
Phil
Yea, unless they realize what they are missing, they just don't want to hear about anything else. I think my church was paying about $25 or $30. When I tried to tell them they could get tons more for about half that price they just didn't believe me.
Maybe I'm off-base with the external style-sheet. Maybe it was the style in the head of the doc. I remember that it would setup templates in frames and you couldn't edit certain frames due to the templates. A real pain in the butt. If I remember right, the FTP address was a big secret and I was trying to keep it simple for them to edit.
But in our "I want it now with no trouble" world it sells.
ryanhardin
littlegiant wrote:

I just want to set up a personal website with a couple pages on it, maybe some links. I'm not a designer, nor do I claim to be one. What is your recommendation for a decent--easy to use editor for this type of thing?

peace
Phil
Well, a decent WYSIWYG Editor that I have found is NVU. Get it at http://www.nvu.com.
You can actually do some things with it, and it's free.
PatTheGreat42
I agree. It is definately easier to just learn html. And unless you're a really big site, paying for hosting is a terrible idea. Most email services, including comcast and AOL, will provide simple hosting services.

I learned HTML with the HTML cheatsheet on webmonkey.com, and by looking at the source code of other websites. If you want anything more advanced than that, they're are plenty of sites, like DHTMLshock.com, that provide code to do just about anything you can think of.

I will admit, I do also have a blog, though.
littlegiant
ryanhardin wrote:
littlegiant wrote:

I just want to set up a personal website with a couple pages on it, maybe some links. I'm not a designer, nor do I claim to be one. What is your recommendation for a decent--easy to use editor for this type of thing?

peace

I'm might be the wrong person to ask because I'm a hardcore HTML junky so as far as I'm concerned, the hands-down best web page editor out there for any task is HTML Kit. But perhaps for your needs, this might be overkill as the default HTML Kit configuration can be a little daunting.

If you just want to set up a personal website with a couple of pages without getting too deeply involved in web editing, you might be best to just download a free web page template somewhere's and just fill in the blanks using a WYSIWYG editor (like NVU or Mozilla Composer).

I've got a modest collection of free templates that you can peruse and download at my site.

Or you can just do a search in Google for free templates.
devadutta
littlegiant wrote:
ryanhardin wrote:
littlegiant wrote:

peace

I'm might be the wrong person to ask because I'm a hardcore HTML junky so as far as I'm concerned, the hands-down best web page editor out there for any task is HTML Kit. But perhaps for your needs, this might be overkill as the default HTML Kit configuration can be a little daunting.

If you just want to set up a personal website with a couple of pages without getting too deeply involved in web editing, you might be best to just download a free web page template somewhere's and just fill in the blanks using a WYSIWYG editor (like NVU or Mozilla Composer).

I've got a modest collection of free templates that you can peruse and download at my site.

Or you can just do a search in Google for free templates.

I agree with littlegiant.
If at all you want to use a tool for HTML, HTML kit is the best.
WYSIWIG generators specially frontpage and word generate lot of junk code which will make your site slow and boring.
littlegiant
Not to mention all that junk code is a nightmare to debug.
rash52
well i think the frontpage is the best solution who dont know how to design a webpage.Bcs Frontpage workz like Microsoft Word.Its really easy to create a cool webpage.
vspec
programs like this is what lead pages to render like shit in different browsers. let the people that stick to knowing how to code to do so, and those that don't should learn how to do it without these stupid programs. </rant>
simplyw00x
rash52 wrote:
well i think the frontpage is the best solution who dont know how to design a webpage.Bcs Frontpage workz like Microsoft Word.Its really easy to create a cool webpage.

Ok, first off, in English so we can understand:

rash52 wrote:
Well, I think Frontpage is the best solution for those who dont know how to design a webpage, because Frontpage works like Microsoft Word. It's really easy to create a cool webpage.

Second, dub-yoo-tee-ef?

Frontpage? Are you out of your mind? Working like MS Word is not a plus point. MS Word works like MS Word. If you want MS Word to design webpages, go ahead. It has built in webpage tools. Saying that Frontpage is good because it works like Word is like saying Firefox is good because it works like IE. Stfu.

It's not easy to create a cool webpage in Frontpage. Of course, if by cool you mean 'table-based layout with annoying (ripped) animated GIFs filling the screen, spelling errors ahoy, no dynamic content and rendering only in IE' then actually you're right. If, however, you're sane, you realise that's it 's a shite tool.

Just learn CSS and HTML, and maybe a smidgen of PHP. It's not hard. If you don't like it, don't make a website. It's that simple.
Phil
Quote:
Just learn CSS and HTML, and maybe a smidgen of PHP. It's not hard. If you don't like it, don't make a website. It's that simple.

I agree completely about Web design being basically easy to comprehend.
Unfortunately, there are those self-proclaimed webmasters who are able to throw-up a web site..... Like the guys in the commercial who had their "Own website in 20 minutes!"
As long as the tools are available for people to get it done quickly with no hassle, you're going to have it.
A guy I work with...... Degree in Industrial Technology, maintains the computers in our training department, very computer savvy....... swears to me with a click of the mouse he can "EFFECTIVELY" convert Powerpoint presentations to HTML documents. "I make it easy on myself", he proclaims. Save As a Web Page strikes again.
Now if I'm off base here, please let me know. I can only imagine the mass of code-hell left in the HTML page after such a transformation. But he wants to do it the Easy Way, and technology allows it.
In this microwave, drive through-fast food, I want it now with low monthly payments world we live in, the 20 minute web site will succeed.
bdoneck
Website design tools like that just promotes noobs creating useless websites.

Thats why most advanced free webhosts dont have website builders because it promotes useless, trafficless websites.
Ressurrector
I agree with most of these guys you definately need to know a little html. In my case at least to edit things sometimes and make them right. But I don't see a thing wrong with using something like dreamweaver or frontpage if it gets the job done for ya.
cavalkaf
Cmon, if you are making a website, either use a real tool like Dreamweaver or just code it yourself.
JagatWorld
there is nothing special about it, actually in such a case like without HTML, better go for the web page designer the hosting company provides...... or just use Front page or Dreamweaver.....

but

remember ,

Front page or Dreamweaver are very powerful HTML Designers and Coders...... very very useful to help you when you are good at basic HTML..... ! that is the purpose....... Smile