FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Programs to design my website?

webcola
I hope this is not a too general question, but I was wondering what too I should use to make my websites? I'm not looking for anything too fancy, such as PHP and CGI stuff, but just to make a personal website. I might start using Microsoft Front Page, but I want to see what programs you guys use to design your website. Thanks for your replies!
forumposters
Don't use frontpage. It creates code that is impossible to edit by hand. Go with what almost every webmaster loves and that is Dreamweaver.
seeker
I have tested the Dreamweaver too, fine Software, for the Php i have also used the: " NuSphere PhpED " Software
Hobbit
forumposters wrote:
Don't use frontpage. It creates code that is impossible to edit by hand. Go with what almost every webmaster loves and that is Dreamweaver.

I use frontpage just to make things easier. But if you know html then 'editing by hand' shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes it gives useless code, but I just take it out.
anthonygerbils
dreamweaver is the best i have to admit as its so easy and fast to use!! go dreamweaver
Ray Salamon
Notepad FTW!!!

My 2nd choice is Dreamweaver though... we had it at my old college... but nwo I don't have access to it. On top of that, I can't set aside money for it, as I've too many other obligations at the moment... argh...

As for FrontPage... it's alright software... I don't like it though.

-Ray
Simulator
You could always draw it in Fireworks or Photoshop or the like and slice it and export it, easiest thing ever
Assiez
I've heard many things about dreamweaver, and so if I had the resources to get it I would. However, I don't have $400 to get it right now.

So.....

I STRONGLY recommend textpad. Not only do I do my html on it, I also use it for java, perl, and php.

Not to mention it's only $16.50. But if you don't buy a lisence, the program doesn't expire either, it just reminds you from time to time.

http://www.textpad.com/
Hobbit
Simulator wrote:
You could always draw it in Fireworks or Photoshop or the like and slice it and export it, easiest thing ever

That's actually my favorite technique, I always end up with i-frames though.
Ray Salamon
Simulator wrote:

Do explain this technique to me a bit more... you've caught my attention with it... :grins:

-Ray
osbits
I think I will prefer notpad.
Hobbit
osbits wrote:
I think I will prefer notpad.

I was waiting for that not so famous reply.
ck88
Search around in the newsgroups. There are a lot of posts tackling this discussion. I personally prefer DW and also use Proton. There is also NetObjectsFusion you could try.

And DON'T use notepad. It does nothing else than display text and save it with every file designator you want. There are tons of free tools out there that at least color code language specific syntax.
As hobbit already remarked: There is always the wannabe hardcoder that thinks it is so great to use notepad and nothing could be better.
Why invent the wheel if you can walk. I have seen many CS students do the same. They all ended up coding in some nice IDE. And there is so much for free.

From Proton ( http://www.meybohm.de/download.html ) and jEdit to the big ones like Eclipse or Netbeans. NVU and Phase5 are the best free HTML editors in my opinion.
Ray Salamon
ck88 wrote:
Search around in the newsgroups. There are a lot of posts tackling this discussion. I personally prefer DW and also use Proton. There is also NetObjectsFusion you could try.

And DON'T use notepad. It does nothing else than display text and save it with every file designator you want. There are tons of free tools out there that at least color code language specific syntax.
As hobbit already remarked: There is always the wannabe hardcoder that thinks it is so great to use notepad and nothing could be better.
Why invent the wheel if you can walk. I have seen many CS students do the same. They all ended up coding in some nice IDE. And there is so much for free.

From Proton ( http://www.meybohm.de/download.html ) and jEdit to the big ones like Eclipse or Netbeans. NVU and Phase5 are the best free HTML editors in my opinion.

I just love notepad cos it's universal (who can't open a .txt?), very light and easy to get to (rather than get an icon on the desktop, right click "new text document" bam!), and it can do everything the fancy editors can do as well, you just actually have to know what you're doing rather than clicking some icons to achieve your goal.
Don't tell someone to not use notepad... plenty of people still do use it, myself included for my bands, my own, and a few other sites that I run, and I constantly get asked "What software did you use to design it".
If you know your coding very well, and know how to do what you're looking for, notepad will suffice quite well. If you can't code well, don't know what you want really, or just don't know how to do what you want, then there's nothing wrong with the DW/FPs of the 'net.

-Ray
webcola
would you recommend ms publisher?
thx
looksbad
Hmm i like good old trusty Notepad or Notepad++
But yes i have dreamweaver but in the design view when creating your page it can screw up, like in one of my sites i decided to use dreamweaver so anyway it all looked fine and worked.. in firefox that is.. loads up IE and boom its all over the place.. and viceversa.

But dreamweaver inthe code view well its great Smile
Dreamweaver isnt to expensive atm.
Th3St1ck
as pretty much everyone else here has said...

use dreamweaver

i love it!

it is the only program i use to edit/make websites....
infact, i am using it right now

not only is it easy to use, but it also gives u "tips" on what kind of tag to put
also, you can do more then just edit html in it...

as the guy above me said "the design view messes everything up"
i completely agree with that...it confuses me..
thats why i just preview my work in firefox...
benjad
We all hate frontpage SOOO much....

But frontpage does have one advantage. It is a great way to learn HTML. Build a page in WYSIWYG mode, then view the underlying code to see how it works. This is a pretty good way to learn the basics of html (or at least bill gate$ idea of html). After you learn how HTML works, drop frontpage, and move on to hand codeing in PHP.

I like php designer 2006.
keykeen
gvim is the best.
in my opinion.
CyanEyed
Ray Salamon wrote:
Simulator wrote:

Do explain this technique to me a bit more... you've caught my attention with it... :grins:

-Ray

go to http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/super%20tutorial%202/website.htm. it teaches u everything u need to know. i created my site with it http://www.cyaneyed.frih.net
Simulator
If you know how to edit in code form, then try www.oswd.org its an open source website with tons of layouts, really handy
CivilizeD
I'd say use Adobe photoshop for the graphics then export it with html and images slicing it for cotent space and edit the html page in dreamweaver to add news and other content.

Be sure when slicing to keep in mind where you want ure content/news so u can slice that spot accordingly.

This is how I've been making sites, its the best way I can think of so far since I'm not a great scripter but great with graphics and photoshop.

There are many tutorial sites for photoshop simply search photoshop tutorials in your favorite search browser.
bnbrown
php designer 2005!
fireydeviant
I also use the photoshop slices to get the images. I then take it to dreamweaver to change it over to css.

Becareful when slicing, photoshop sometimes adds in extra space images and blank space which can waste bandwidth..
Mamsaac
I use notepad. I have never ever used anything else, so you may ignore my opinion. Notepad is easy enough, no need for anything else.
Marston
You guys can stop posting in this thread, and post in this sticky.
ivanegues
For me the best is to use Dreamweaver as reference, but doing it by hand in a notepad, has been the way to understad more about it.
Sat2Karaj
I like the contact form it`s very good!!
can you give me the source of this feedback form??

I like to design a site but I have many problems (like host and domains and ...)
Ka7raK
Good old Notepad is quite proficient in almost everything.
Dreamweaver is very nice but i think only 5% of the people in this "room" have actually bought Dreamweaver. I'm sorry, but i'm against piracy (that's why i need a free host!).
1st Page 2006 www.evrsoft.com is the best for newbies because it already brings hundreds of scripts.