FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Web hosting

lurch003
Hi

I'm what you could call an absolute beginner and have very basic knowledge of making a website.

I've registered the domain name and am looking to purely use it for baby pics and news etc so free hosting is right up my street.

Also, I'm a little impatient and I've tried reading info and how to threads but get a little confused which then leads to more impatience.

So got the domain name. Working on the hosting. What program is best and pretty to use for making the pages??

Thanks Very Happy
Bondings
Well it depends on how much you know about html. You can code it yourself in a text editor like notepad or one with highlighting and preview like editplus.

Or you can use a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor like frontpage.

Of course you can also use Microsoft Word/Open Office to create pages, but in this case they will look ugly most likely.
TeenZine
Bondings how do you upload using Microsoft Word I want to try it just for laughs.
Bondings
TeenZine wrote:
Bondings how do you upload using Microsoft Word I want to try it just for laughs.

I meant making a html page, not uploading. When saving, you just choose the .html extension.
anthonygerbils
yeah i was a beginner and still am but i used frontpage for a while and it worked out great so if you want an easy and simple design then frontpage is what you should use.
otherwise learn html which may take ages but is worth it as then you control exactly what shows up .
lurch003
THANKS GUYS

Had a play with frontpage at the weekend and after a bit of trial and error have now got a page (www.charliemoss.co.uk), and just clicked "publish remote site" after enabling the option on the directadmin page.

All of the photos in the gallery open when you click on them apart from one, which always gives the error message that frontpage isn't enabled and it confuses me that all the others are ok bar one picture - but it still shows it in thumbnail view??!!

Can anyone recommend a decent tutorial site/page for frontpage that doesn't get lost in jargon and tech speak that a simple lad like me would understand to do a bit more than the very basic??

Thanks again
Animal
Try the Tutorials forum on Frihost.

I found this thread after a quick search - it might help, although there are several more Very Happy
TeenZine
Bondings wrote:
TeenZine wrote:

I meant making a html page, not uploading. When saving, you just choose the .html extension.
Oh ok I got excited for a min oh well. Thanks for the clairification.
awesty
is front page for HTML and stuff? is it like dreamweaver (i have dream weaver Cool or is it like, you type want you want and insert the pictures you want and it will make a code for you? Confused
Animal
awesty wrote:
is front page for HTML and stuff? is it like dreamweaver (i have dream weaver Cool or is it like, you type want you want and insert the pictures you want and it will make a code for you? Confused

-close- to prevent more spam ^^