FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AOL not accepting emails

phx777
our client is having problems sending emails to aol from our mail server, trying to set reverse dns on our servers but cant figure out how, nothing seems to work....

Error 421 DNS:NR

* 421 DNS:NR
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421dnsnr.html

EXPLANATION:

Reverse DNS lookup for your IP address is failing. AOL does require that all connecting Mail Transfer Agents have established reverse DNS.

SOLUTION:

Reverse DNS is a way of associating an IP address with its domain name. The reverse DNS identifier is contained in the PTR portion of the IP Zone File. You may look at your reverse DNS using our reverse DNS search tool.

If you are on a dynamic IP address, please call your ISP and request a static IP address with proper rDNS before attempting to send mail to AOL through that server.

If you are on a static IP address, please call your ISP or DNS provider and ask them to establish a reverse DNS record for your IP address, reflecting your correct domain name.

For additional information on reverse DNS, please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com/info/rdns.html .
Animal
This is a known issue. Some time ago, one user used the Frihost mail system to send out spam - AOL have now blocked the Frihost mail server and reject all emails from it. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this from our servers.
phx777
hehe well im not running buisniess on the frihost server Wink just my companys server is block... i solved the problem by contacting my isp and asking them to set up reverse dns (you cant set this on a hosting dns server, you need to set it on the primary dns so only your isp can do it)
IceCreamTruck
AOL is a marketing company NOT a legitimate way to do business. Worked well in the 90s for getting people online that have never been online, but one of the first things I do for small businesses is move them off of AOL and they sing my praises left and right.

Animal wrote:
This is a known issue. Some time ago, one user used the Frihost mail system to send out spam - AOL have now blocked the Frihost mail server and reject all emails from it. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this from our servers.

I like aol less now that I read that, and I like FriHost even more!!
Bones
Personally, I am amazed that AOL is even still in business..they tried AOL Canada for a while, but we laughed so hard they ran back across the border Wink
corey
I've been told that it only takes 10 clicks of the "this is spam" button and you're domain is blocked forever. The button is right beside the delete button, to make it worse, as it can be clicked by accident. Many newsletters now cannont be delivered to AOL customers because of this. Too bad for these AOL users. They are missing most of what's good about the "www".
IceCreamTruck
One billion spammers blocked, and one trillian ligitimate emails regected!

Give it up! A.O.HELL is for losers who don't know the difference between the free web, and a marketing scheme!

**nuff said**
phx777
this isnt a thread about aol but on email server configuration Razz anyway like i said, aol recieves email now since they only need smtp domain to have reverse dns, however some other email providers (local companies that have mails for their own use) seem to be returning error 550 relay denied, is it possible that i have to set up reverse DNS for each and every domain that we use?
billgertz
other ISPs implement various e-mail filtering or blocking policies in their network as a means to prevent Spam and other forms of e-mail abuse. From time to time, IP addresses are blocked by other ISPs. Recently, it has surfaced that AOL has been blocking more Other ISPs IPs, and therefore, emails are blocked that are intended to be sent to someone with an AOL address.

I believe AOL is blocking by IP address, and that it will expire in 6-8 hours. So you might want to reconnect if you are using a dynamic IP to get a new IP or contact your ISP if you have the Static IP to look on the problem.
steveadams617
I don't know how many AOL addresses you are trying to send to, but I believe if the recipient adds the sending address to her/his address book that it wil get through regardless...

True?
corey
phx777 wrote:
this isnt a thread about aol but on email server configuration Razz anyway like i said, aol recieves email now since they only need smtp domain to have reverse dns, however some other email providers (local companies that have mails for their own use) seem to be returning error 550 relay denied, is it possible that i have to set up reverse DNS for each and every domain that we use?
This type of error usually has to do with using an SMTP server other than the one of the ISP. This can sometimes be avoided by using a "business" package fromt he ISP instead of a "residential" one. Usually, though, the ISP will force you to use their SMTP server so that they can control SPAM. This is the same reason that many ISPs block port 25 - so that you can't set up a mailserver at home and send 1000000 spam a day from your home computer.