FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Motherboard for a Northwood P4

Xeniczone
My friend gave me a Dell Dimention 8200.

It has a Pentium 4 Northwood running at 2.2ghz with 100mhz FPS.

First off I hate the dell case. It looks like ass and I would prefer the switch my pentium 2 out and put my pentium 4 into that case because it is a nice case with a better power supply then the dell.

The problem is the motherboard is so freaken big it will only fit into that dell case. Then when I looked at new 478 socket motherboard they all still have 533/800mhz FBS.

I guess I could use one of these motherboard but with the raise FBS I would have a speed of the Pentium 4 would be 117.26 Ghz. Sound cool but that isn't stable at all.

I also understand that The northwood run much cooler then the Prescott and where not put-a-side by intel because they reached their max but because they wanted a new core that was better then the northwood. They did it but with a lot of heat issues. So I guess my Northwood has some room to overclock.
psycosquirrel
I have no idea what you are asking.

117.26 GHz is impossible, and as low as 10GHz is damn near impossible... You say fps and fbs, do you mean front side bus (FSB)?

Prescotts are MUCH cooler than Northwoods. Whoever told you that is a liar that is in denial about his Northwood's suckage. Northwoods = BAD OVERCLOCK.

You need to clairify your post if you want help Laughing
Xeniczone
Quote:

117.26 GHz is impossible, and as low as 10GHz is damn near impossible...

That is what I mean.

I'm ASKING WHERE CAN I BUY A P4 MOTHERBOARD THAT SUPPORTS 100 FSB.

Accually Northwoods Run much cooler then Prescott. Trust me I have built 2 prescotts and then I have this northwood. Both Prescotts run at 167 degrees and the northwood runs at about 110 degrees.
psycosquirrel
Well, from my experience and that of every review of prescott vs northwood I have read, northwood is hotter. Both are hot enough to fry eggs on though, so let's stay on topic...

I have never heard of a P4 running with a fsb of 100. Do you mean the bus speed? The fsb of most P4s are either 533 or 800.

As for the motherboard, look here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Order=PRICE&Page=1&N=2010200280+1070509907&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=280
And use the search things at the top to narrow down your search to what you need.
Donutey
the *actual* FSB speeds are as follows:

100MHZ
133MHZ
200MHZ
266MHZ (some EE)

The FSB on pentium 4's is quad pumped (similiar to how DDR is double pumped, on the rising and falling edge of the clock) so a 100MHZ * 4 = 400MHZ, 133 * 4 = 533MHZ, and 200 * 4 = 800MHZ...

You'll need to find a motherboard that supports 400/533/800 FSB to support your P4, you'd probably have to buy a new power supply for any overclocking. I would just leave the system as it is, or buy a completely new one (such as a cheap sempron setup)
psycosquirrel
That actual speed you are talking about is referred to as the bus speed. Like you said, it is the FSB without the multiplier.

Here are mobos that support your bus speed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?SrchInDesc=400MHz&Page=1&N=2010200280+1070509907&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=280
Xeniczone
Thanks I was thinking upgrade because of money right now. I'm planning on building a Shelby GT500 and it isn't cheap.

If I was to upgrade I notice that the AMD FX-55's droped in price. From 800 to 600 and are still one of the best cpu's around.

I just need to search for somthing that supports 800 as well just in case I don't have enough money to build a 1000 dollars comptuer I could just get a new cpu. After all most high paying jobs don't higher a 15 yrs old.
Naif
Hi Xeniczone. Its been a long time since I last posted here. Anyways, I too own a P4 2.8 Ghz with a Northwood core. I will recommend you to buy an ASUS P4P800 board. It supports all there processors with FSB 400,533 and 800 MHz. Though this board does not have an onboard graphics adapter. Overall performance of it is very good. It has an Intel 865PE chipset with support for 4 DDR memory modules.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Hi Xeniczone. Its been a long time since I last posted here. Anyways, I too own a P4 2.8 Ghz with a Northwood core. I will recommend you to buy an ASUS P4P800 board. It supports all there processors with FSB 400,533 and 800 MHz. Though this board does not have an onboard graphics adapter. Overall performance of it is very good. It has an Intel 865PE chipset with support for 4 DDR memory modules.

Wow Thanks.

I think that this computer is out of date and I'm considering upgrading to a AMD FX-55. (big inprovement)

I already have a 4x nVidia Geforce 5200. If I decide I will buy just the motherboard upgrade I will definetly go with this. My dad has a Ausu board and we haven't had problems with it.
mOrpheuS
Naif wrote:
I will recommend you to buy an ASUS P4P800 board. It supports all there processors with FSB 400,533 and 800 MHz.

P4P800 is based on a 865 chipset.
Almost any not-so-new 865 or 845 motherboard should be able to do 400/533/800 MHz bus speeds.

I'm running Intel 865GBF with a 2.4C northwood.
The Intel board is rock solid in stability, I suspect the ASUS to be just the same.
Although the Intel board will be a little cheaper. Wink

You can find more intel manufactured boards that will suit your needs here : http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/index.htm
(scroll down to the section labelled "Socket: mPGA478")

And on the ASUS site : http://www.asus.com/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=12

Just double-check the specifications before buying anything, though. Wink
photon
go for the p4p800 with eyes closed. its rock solid even when you overclock! and has a lot of mem divider options for that extra room when o'clocking. and trust me, its far better than intel's offing. and not that costly too!
Naif
photon wrote:
go for the p4p800 with eyes closed. its rock solid even when you overclock! and has a lot of mem divider options for that extra room when o'clocking. and trust me, its far better than intel's offing. and not that costly too!

I agree. Thats why I recommened the P4P800. ASUS did an excellent job with the 865PE chipset. They squeezed everything possible from it. It was even recommened by Intel! The boards with the 875 chipset arent really worth paying a high price for. So its better to stick with the 865 chipset itself.
Xeniczone
I looked on newegg. Their where about 5 of them. None of them support the 400mhz FSB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+50001315+1070509907&Subcategory=280&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=
edit_text
Not many MB will say they support the 100mhz FSB for a simple reason, Intel does not make any more chips with that bus speed. In actaulity, that support comes from the North Bridge (ie: chipset.) As far as I know every chipset that you will find on a socket 478 MB does in fact support the 100Mhz FSB. If you want to really be safe go with any MB that has the 865 chipset, it is rock solid even at bus speed well over intel spec. If you plan on using an onboard graphics solution I do recomend the ATi chipsets, while not great overclockers they offer a very stable platform and enough graphics power for your average user.

e_t
Naif
Xeniczone wrote:
I looked on newegg. Their where about 5 of them. None of them support the 400mhz FSB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+50001315+1070509907&Subcategory=280&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Maybe not on New Egg but the manual I have of this board says it supports an FSB of 400 and so does the official site of ASUS. Here is the link to it which shows its features and specifications:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=31&model=179&modelmenu=1

(once the page loads, click on the Specifactions link)

PS: Buy the Second Edition of this board(i.e. Asus P4P800-SE)