FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP incredibly slow

adhoc
It's a total of 2 megabytes. Most files are ~3 KB, some are ~30 KB - they're all equally slow. We're talking bytes per second here. I'm on OS X and I've tried four different ftp clients. I'm currently trying to upload the folder as a .tar.gz via DirectAdmin (so it can extract), but that's taking a while.

Is something going on?
adhoc
I just noticed that the bigger files get the first 32 KB up really quickly, and then they slow down to almost nothing. Is this some sort of protection against big files? 32 KB?
mike_phi
Hi there I had major problems trying to ftp my site accross, I finally found the Far file manager to be great, it was fast and consistant as far as upload speeds were concerned, I think it achieed this because it did a analysis of the directory structure it was set to target.

Try it out you can get it at

http://www.rarlab.com/

just click on far and try to find a download, the nice thing about it is if you are a old norton commander user, you will love it.

cheers Mic
Bondings
I just tried ftp on the server and it seemed to be normal speed. I uploaded like 20 files of 2kb. It took a few seconds. Small files are slow because you need to connect for each one of them, which always takes some time. But for larger files (like a few MB), you really should be getting your internet upload speed unless there is a problem with the server.

Could you maybe try it again and see if the problem still occurs?
n0obie4life
Hah, I knew I was not the only one.

Bondings enjoys putting the blame on my internet connection all the time. I cannot download anything through my webbrowser/ftp at my proper download rate.

Go check up on savvis or something.
adhoc
Bondings wrote:
I just tried ftp on the server and it seemed to be normal speed. I uploaded like 20 files of 2kb. It took a few seconds. Small files are slow because you need to connect for each one of them, which always takes some time. But for larger files (like a few MB), you really should be getting your internet upload speed unless there is a problem with the server.

Could you maybe try it again and see if the problem still occurs?

Aah ... It's been resolved. My fault. Sorry!
adhoc
mike_phi wrote:
Hi there I had major problems trying to ftp my site accross, I finally found the Far file manager to be great, it was fast and consistant as far as upload speeds were concerned, I think it achieed this because it did a analysis of the directory structure it was set to target.

Try it out you can get it at

http://www.rarlab.com/

just click on far and try to find a download, the nice thing about it is if you are a old norton commander user, you will love it.

cheers Mic

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, but there is no Mac version of the FAR file manager.