FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

different fonts...

cocobirdi
i'm putting up a homepage for my forums, and it leaves me wondering: is there no font available besides TNR? in my coding, i attempted arial, helvetica (sp?), blah, blah, blah, and couldn't get anything else to show up.

also, is there a way i can load a font to my site so i can type in that font there?

my site Very Happy
http://www.showhorseresource.frih.net/
(so proud of it... my first-ever attempt at coding lol)
arch23
the font you choose must be available in the computer showing the webpage. i'm not sure what do you mean by TNR? you might want to post the code not doing what you expect.
there is a way to load your custome font, see this tutorial, it requires installing a microsoft program:http://www.programmers-corner.com/tutorial/70
cocobirdi
TNR=times new roman.

Code:
<font face="helvetica, arial, sans-serif">

did this with all the fonts suggested by the book i'm using (creating web pages for dummies - lol) and didn't get anything but TNR.

and i KNOW i have more fonts than just that on my compy. grrr.

thanks for that link... i'll look that up tomorrow Wink
krazycapital
This is actually better to use:
Code:
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica;">Text will be Verdana usually</span>
Than:
Code:
<font face="Verdana">This font will usually be Verdana, but this isn't as good for coding</font>
Scorpio
It is better to use the css style as krazy said, since that will have alternate fonts which will be used if the main font is not available on the users' system.

Dont use the ancient <font> tag.
CSS is the best and cleanest way to go about it.
Daniel15
Firstly, Helvetica is only available on Macintosh computers, so you won't be able to get it working Wink

Also, you appear to be using a <basefont> tag, which AFAIK doesn't exist anymore in the latest HTML specifications. To do what you want, try this instead:

Code:

<style>
body {
    font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 13px;
}
</style>

Put this inside your <head> section. As your style sheet grows, you may wish to put it into a seperate file (this also makes it easier for you when you create more pages). Call the file 'style.css', and put this code inside your HTML's <head> tag:
Code:

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

This will include that style sheet in your document

For more information on CSS, you should see http://www.w3schools.com/ . W3Schools have quite a lot of information on CSS, including some tutorials.
cocobirdi
wow... you'd think they'd update these books Shocked

thanks for the update! Wink